can someone please tell me , is there a particular/certain scales / modes bands like the horrors , 45 grave , and more impoirtantly wenesday 13 use in their songs? ive recently got into wedensday 13 , and i ****in love em!! i also wanna get a goth punk band goin myself , probly , and would like to know is there any certain scales / chord progressions ( which are maj , min , 7 , 5th etc) that would work best? thanx 4 any help.
member number 14 of the UG John frusciante fan club

Founder of the 'the John Frusciante ****ing sucks!Club!" sucks, club!
^ For future reference. Wedensday/Wenesday is actually spelled Wednesday. Just so no one gets confused.
What's up?
Most gothpunk stuff is in minor chords, some suspended chords, some modal playing.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
or you could play some more interesting 80's hair metal........
Rokken With Dokken!
Quote by Rhoads2000
or you could play some more interesting 80's hair metal........

or... you could **** off you dumb cunt.

Anyways, your minor diatonic scale will be what you are going for, in a darker key, I recommend C# or D# minor.
^ Given keys don't sound any darker than another... if you place it in C# minor, you'll have the same tonality as in F minor, or Ab minor.

Anyways, you'll want to use a lot of minor modes... Aeolian and Locrian would be good.

The Aeolian is your standard minor scale, it's different from your reg'lar garden variety Dorian because it has a b6 as well as a b3 and b7. The b6 sounds great, I'll often head from a 4 to a b5 to b6, for added evil. Then you can sit on the b6 for a while, and it sounds like pure pain.

The Locrian would be harder to work over, but it's a brutal scale. 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7, if I remember it right. It works great over m7b5 chords, but you can just rip it up over some 5th chords and it'll sound alright. M7b5's really mush up and sound like crap when I have a lot of gain pumped into the circuit.

Also, remember that the way you play the notes is everything - slow, downtrodden phrasing with slow vibrato is a good mixture for doomy sounds.
no
you could play with the black DR strings(jk)

im not really sure penatonics work for just about any style of music
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
Quote by bucky_2300
^ Given keys don't sound any darker than another... if you place it in C# minor, you'll have the same tonality as in F minor, or Ab minor.

I disagree.

In classical and opera genres, different keys are used to represent different characters and emotions.

A more obscure key with more black notes sounds more dissonant and sadder. Not horror punk, but a classic example: If you play Poison Heart in A minor it sounds flat sterile and emotionless.

There is, in fact a reason why the piano is also known as "...you hit white tooth he happy you hit black tooth he sad."

EDIT: Also, no offence, but I liked you more when you weren't some kind of theory nazi
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I disagree.

In classical and opera genres, different keys are used to represent different characters and emotions.

Fair enough. I've never run into that, because with my music I change keys and transpose to make things easier for myself fairly often, and notice little difference. Besides the obvious thicker tonality of notes when at lower pitch, that kind of stuff.

EDIT: Also, no offence, but I liked you more when you weren't some kind of theory nazi

It's my Musician Talk self coming out in the punk forum. When people ask, I answer. I'm not being a theory Nazi - I'm trying to eliminate confusion by being really really exact. Because when I ask theory questions, I always feel best answered when people spell it out for me in scale degrees, mode names, whatever. So that's how I prefer to explain things, rather than speaking in generalities. It's not Nazi-ish at all.
no
Quote by bucky_2300
It's my Musician Talk self coming out in the punk forum. When people ask, I answer. I'm not being a theory Nazi - I'm trying to eliminate confusion by being really really exact. Because when I ask theory questions, I always feel best answered when people spell it out for me in scale degrees, mode names, whatever. So that's how I prefer to explain things, rather than speaking in generalities. It's not Nazi-ish at all.

That's fair play. My apologies if I pissed you off.
group hug!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
there are no pointless hugs...just pointless people to hug...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

Not pointless - pointy. Imagine hugging Immortal - you'd be impaled on their 10" spiked armbands!
no
o shit...yeah...**** those hugs...

actually **** hugs...punks don't hug...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Because more punks say hugging is not cool than punks that say it is cool, hugging is anti-establishment and therefore more punk.
no
damn...it's like a catch 22...instead of moshpits...i say we hug...yes...huh.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I think it's funny that all of my favourite punk bands just wear jeans and t-shirts with some slogan on them, yet so many of their fans have the spikes, hawks, and leather everywhere.
no
Kelsey and I are going to a party on saturday, and we are going to dress like street punx, drink 40's, and be really obnoxious, and people who don't know us will think we're actually like that.
Bonus points if you yell "OI OI OI" once every five minutes and act as though Nazism is an everyday threat for you.
no
That sounds like a good plan.

I wish people at concerts would hug more.

It would beat the shit out of that dumb hardcore dancing all you kids seem to enjoy.
Hugs not drugs.

But a fun way to mess with people is......
if they try to hug you or shake your hand, to keep your hands in your pocket and smile at them.

Hank Rollins did that all the time in Black Flag and it really unnerves people.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
please no more hugs. thanx for ur help guys ill work on this stuff now and get crackin on doom and pain punk. and 2 hpLove Craft , i can spell wednesday , just somehow i spelt it wrong twice . i apologise for any confusion this may have caused

Quote by johnnynemo
Hugs not drugs.

But a fun way to mess with people is......
if they try to hug you or shake your hand, to keep your hands in your pocket and smile at them.

Hank Rollins did that all the time in Black Flag and it really unnerves people.

I'm gonna try that, but with the added intimidation factor of twitching and standing against people (like hugging, but without any arm action)
Quote by Eddy Hitler
can someone please tell me , is there a particular/certain scales / modes bands like the horrors , 45 grave , and more impoirtantly wenesday 13 use in their songs? ive recently got into wedensday 13 , and i ****in love em!! i also wanna get a goth punk band goin myself , probly , and would like to know is there any certain scales / chord progressions ( which are maj , min , 7 , 5th etc) that would work best? thanx 4 any help.

.....Well bro you can start by going back to wednesday 13s roots........listen to maniac spider trash, Frankenstein drag queens from planet 13, Murderdolls...those were like most of the bands wednesday 13 has been in. just in case you didnt know, wednesday 13 is his real name, obviously he changed it....
....then go on from there..
DSNFPUNX
yeh , i know wedensday 13 is his name , but its the band too , like marilyn manson (i know u no , just sayin i do too). was he on maiac spider trash too?

Well, goth rock typically has jangly guitars and droning synths. Arpeggiated minor chords work good.

As for keys, minor keys like C# are good.

Bass and guitars typically have interworking lines. Bass is often just your standard walking bass in a minor key.

At least, that's just what I pick up from the goth bands I listen to. Not much knowledge in theory is possessed by me.
Cuz im in a horror punk band myself Institutionalized.
Im guitar player and writer of everything (just like Danzig! lol)
and most of my stuff is either 50's progressions or shit i pull outta my ass. there is not much special style for horror punk as is regular punk so stop bein stupid.