I'm troubled. The pros do it and its fine. But theyre pros. do any amatuer band out there play slow songs live? how well do they do down in front of a new audience?
I don't quite understand your question.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I guess the hardest part is keeping everything together; people might want to rush, but that's also want to rush for faster songs...what are you asking exactly?
Who dat?
If you rehearse your songs well enough and everyone knows what they are meant to be doing, etc...you can play anything live...fast or slow.
Slow.. fast... what's the difference... you either know the song or you don't... I don't get it.
They go great if you keep the tempo down and concentrate on the groove. The inexperienced player will tend to rush a slow song and it looses its effect.
from a technical standpoint, slow songs can be hard b/c every note usually counts for more, so screwups are therefore more noticable; plus, keeping a proper meter in a song with a lot of rests can throw you off.

but in terms of audience response: older audiences, especially in a restaurant/club type settings, are usually okay with it; teenagers in leather and makeup might not be so into it. But it really depends on your audience (I live in Berkeley CA, near locally-infamous punk club Gilman, and I wouldn't recommend slow songs to most first-time performers there), and the type of set you're playing. I'd put your slow numbers in the second half of your set, for sure. Otherwise, I say go for it, and if you're really concerned, go to a couple performances by other bands where you're playing, if you have time.
Quote by *palm*`*muted*
from a technical standpoint, slow songs can be hard b/c every note usually counts for more, so screwups are therefore more noticable; plus, keeping a proper meter in a song with a lot of rests can throw you off.

but in terms of audience response: older audiences, especially in a restaurant/club type settings, are usually okay with it; teenagers in leather and makeup might not be so into it. But it really depends on your audience (I live in Berkeley CA, near locally-infamous punk club Gilman, and I wouldn't recommend slow songs to most first-time performers there), and the type of set you're playing. I'd put your slow numbers in the second half of your set, for sure. Otherwise, I say go for it, and if you're really concerned, go to a couple performances by other bands where you're playing, if you have time.

Thanks. This is the answer I was looking for.