WTF.

Why does this band so rarely get discussed!!!
And don't tell me they're not classic rock, i dont care if they're classified as psychedelic soul and later funk or what not, this is the best forum for them.

So anyways, please tell me you guys have heard them before, and if not plzzz check them out. I recommend Stand as a first album. Or watch some videos of them on www.YouTube.com (their performance at Woodstock was legendary in my opinion.

To me, these guys exemplified everything that US (or San Francisco) music and culture was in the 1960's.

And lets not forget what a huge influence they had on music. They basically invented their own genre which eventually evolved into what is called Funk.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Larry Graham for the win.

They are great, without question (so is Graham Central Station ). Anyone else 'dig the tribute that was released last year? I thought it wasnt too bad.
Basically the essential funk band. Not only did they almost single-handedly create the genre (as mentioned by TS) but their bassist Larry Graham (one of the greatest if not the greatest funk bassist of all time) invented the slap and pop technique which has now become a trademark of modern funk.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I love these guys! Seriously they broke down all racial barriers and just wanted to let the funk out. I really like their "sing it loud" style.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
They don't get discussed because they're not really Classic Rock. This is probably the best place for them. A good funk band but I much prefer the Jazz Funk bands that came out around the same time.

Michael Brecker FTW.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Finally listened to them for about the first time the other day; damn good stuff! I was gonna ask what album of their's I should buy first but you already answered that, so, um, yeah. Thanks!

From what I've heard of them, anyone who likes them should also check out George Clinton's various Parliament/Funkadelic things, although I'd guess most of you have already...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Derigiberble
They don't get discussed because they're not really Classic Rock. This is probably the best place for them. A good funk band but I much prefer the Jazz Funk bands that came out around the same time.

Michael Brecker FTW.

Jazz Funk was influenced by them on a huge level. Jazz Funk wouldn't have ever existed if it weren't for them (arguably obviously).

I do enjoy Jazz Funk a tremendous amount though. (headhunters, thrust, 70's Miles, etc).

Parliment/Funkadelic are pretty damn cool too. Eddie Hazel was one of the great unappreciated guitarists (think Maggot Brain).

ps, i like your sig strat monkey.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

Check it out
Last edited by al_ at Feb 7, 2007,
Sly and the Family Stone are tight, man. Definitely a good band.

Their gig at Woodstock was nice, as well.

My favorite song of theirs, honestly, is Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin).
Anybody like Graham Central Station?

Quote by Kartman

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Haven't listened to them before (I don't believe), but I have heard of them.

Its like Larry Graham's "Pow" with a keyboard and or musicians. Its kinda synthy at some times but other stuff like "Hair" and "The Jam" are mindblowing and something that Sly never would have done.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by al_
Jazz Funk was influenced by them on a huge level. Jazz Funk wouldn't have ever existed if it weren't for them (arguably obviously).

I do enjoy Jazz Funk a tremendous amount though. (headhunters, thrust, 70's Miles, etc).

Parliment/Funkadelic are pretty damn cool too. Eddie Hazel was one of the great unappreciated guitarists (think Maggot Brain).

ps, i like your sig strat monkey.

Excellent, someone else who appreciates Hazel!

Thanks for the compliment on the sig! It's getting quite popular now...

So I've checked out a few of their tunes on YouTube, like Stand and Everyday People, anyone else got any recommendations of songs or particular performances to have a look at?

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
If you can try and catch a band called Superbad. They do covers of all teh great funk songs and do a fair few by Sly and the Family Stone
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzE9KWz89B4

I really like this one alot. These guys just gave off such a good vibe.

And the woodstock performance is brilliant too. Those are 2 id really recommend watching.

Check it out
thats a bloody awesome watch
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Thanks al_! That's a cool vid, even if it is horribly out of sync.

Sly & the Family Stone is one of my favourite bands, if not my very favourite. They were groundbreaking for a variety of reasons - but one of the most important is that they were one of the first soul acts to refocus the genre to an album format rather than a singles & filler format. This allowed them to explore their musical foundations in so much more depth and work in a wide variety of influences to craft a distinctive sound that influenced every direction of black music that came after them. They are up there with the likes of Sam Cooke and James Brown, in my opinion, for the quality of their music, their influence and their legacy.

A Whole New Thing is a strong album but you can tell they are still finding their feet. Underdog however is one of their very best songs (my favourite) with unrivalled energy and is extremely uplifting.

Dance to the Music builds on A Whole New Thing and is a front-to-back classic with no filler whatsoever, infectiously groovy and a very fun album. This album is so consistent it doesn't even make sense to pick a favourite song.

I never got into Life that much, even though it has a few killer tracks (M'Lady, Jane is a Groupy)

Stand sees them solidify their style into what they are now generally known for... as with Dance to the Music it is very consistent and with no filler but Sing A Simple Song still rises above with one of the best riffs of any song ever.

There's A Riot Goin' On, probably my favourite album, is a lot like Stand but where Stand was upbeat, hopeful and perhaps even naive, There's A Riot Goin' On is angry and cynical, though somehow without losing an ounce of fun. The album is replete with classics, yet again it's silly to try and pick a favourite song.

Fresh continues their style with a little more jazz and complexity thrown in. It also has perhaps their best known song, If You Want Me To Stay, on it. Some interesting facts/quotes from wikipedia:

Jazz legend Miles Davis was so impressed by the song "In Time" from the album that he made his band listen to the track repeatedly for a full 30 minutes.[10] Composer and music theorist Brian Eno cited Fresh as having heralded a shift in the history of recording, "where the rhythm instruments, particularly the bass drum and bass, suddenly [became] the important instruments in the mix."[11]

It really sucks nobody here has started a thread about them in nearly 10 years
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to