I have a standard 50's white stratocaster. I really love the look of the "relics" where the body is all scratched up down to the wood. Is there any safe/reasonable way of doing this, or should i just wait and buy a relic strat. Any responses will be apprectiated. This is probably a very stupid question. . . .
Quote by dondude
I have a standard 50's white stratocaster. I really love the look of the "relics" where the body is all scratched up down to the wood. Is there any safe/reasonable way of doing this, or should i just wait and buy a relic strat. Any responses will be apprectiated. This is probably a very stupid question. . . .

just let it get scratched up. dont buy a relic, or relic it yourself. just let it go.
I agree, dude. Smashed up intruments look cool, makes it look used and you've had it for a while. But spending several thousands of dollars for a 'relic' instrument that looks like that, you could prolly get the same at a pawn shop, ha. I don't know of any safe method of making it look worn out, maybe taking sand paper and going crazy?
Yeah, just, Idk, drop it a couple times, Put it down and kick it, Light it on fire, You know, just the usual stuff.
Please don't intentionally relic it.

Just neglect it a little bit, it'll get there, and it won't look fake.
i know a dude who worked in the custom shop at fender and i remebe a few things he told me:
1. Chains: Beat the guitar and you'll get some nice scratches and dings.
2. Power Sander: Use fine grain sand paper to get that "worn" look like years of resting your hand by the bridge.
3. Sharp Object: Such as keys will give it a nice belt rash and scratches.

hope this helps,

-Axe
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
sand off on the arm contour on front, scratch up the hardware, pickguard, chop off half the neck, etc. you get the point.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Beat it with keys. I hear this works really well. If you've got the right kind of paint on the body and a big freezer and you bring the two into conjunction, then that messes it up too, apparently.

Also, play like a motherf*cker.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by axeslinger01
i know a dude who worked in the custom shop at fender and i remebe a few things he told me:
1. Chains: Beat the guitar and you'll get some nice scratches and dings.
2. Power Sander: Use fine grain sand paper to get that "worn" look like years of resting your hand by the bridge.
3. Sharp Object: Such as keys will give it a nice belt rash and scratches.

hope this helps,

-Axe

hahaha. I can't believe they actually do that. Funny stuff.
keep in mind that most modern strats are finished in polyurethane which is very resilient and won't flake off like nitrocellulose will

You can't really get the relic look without a nitro finish
Play it for 30 years and it might end up looking like Walter Trout's strat...
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
keep in mind that most modern strats are finished in polyurethane which is very resilient and won't flake off like nitrocellulose will

You can't really get the relic look without a nitro finish

thats wat i hate now because u cant like have it ware like all the older players i love guitars like that because it gives it so much character
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah