Alright fellow UGers, after many months of browsing this forum and watching you all work on your own builds I have decided to give it a go. I have woodshop this semester at my school so then is when I plan on doing so.
Now I kinda would like to build a Telecaster but I dont personally own one so im kinda unsure as how im going to do this. So where can I get build plans for a Fender Telecaster?

I plan on making this build a sort of Joe Strummer tribute (the clash) but Im having troubles finding out what type of wood his tele was and im unsure of the year too

thanks for your help, I hope to make this build work!!
Check the sticky at the top of the forum for the template.

As for the specs for whomever's guitar, my friend Google may be able to help.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Most teles are made of alder, and Mr. Strummer probably played alot of different guitars.

That's as specific as you can get, really.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

well his famouse black strat was used on all tours and records and is the one I want to replicate

I guess I will go with alder then

EDIT:I found that its a 1972
Telecasters were also made out of ash. Are you sure it is a '72 because i think '72s had a different shape pick guard.
^ You're thinking of the thinline.

I'd go play a couple Teles and see which body wood YOU like the most. My preference is ash.
Hi, I'm Peter
I went to Fender's website and they have several models that have a bigger pick guard just like the thinline
Fender used ash until around the early sixties because it was cheap and then began to use alder on both the Telecasters and Stratocaster. (sorry for posting twice)
Oh, is your edit button broken too?

EDIT: Wait, mine isn't, so yours must be working fine. Use the edit button, instead of double posting.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Will_Minus for Mod!
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Are you going to relic it too?

Good luck finding those stickers...
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
im not going to relic it but i might have the one sticker just painted on

so are telecasters 2 peices?
They can be any number of pieces, from 1 to 7. They can be even made of 7 ply, but that isn't recommended.

By the way, thanks for the endorsement, Lespaulmarshall
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by GrungePb
Alright fellow UGers, after many months of browsing this forum and watching you all work on your own builds I have decided to give it a go. I have woodshop this semester at my school so then is when I plan on doing so.
Now I kinda would like to build a Telecaster but I dont personally own one so im kinda unsure as how im going to do this. So where can I get build plans for a Fender Telecaster?

I plan on making this build a sort of Joe Strummer tribute (the clash) but Im having troubles finding out what type of wood his tele was and im unsure of the year too

thanks for your help, I hope to make this build work!!

Just a note on the plans/templates. The drawings from guitarbuild.com are inaccurate as are the templates from guitarbuilding templates. The plans fro the MIMF are probably your best bet.
alright, is that where u got your plans dave293 cause your tele looks really good!!
No, I bought templates from guitarbuildingtemplates and also used alot of measurements i got of the net. But I think I would have been better off with the plan and making my own templates.
Quote by Will_Minus
They can be any number of pieces, from 1 to 7. They can be even made of 7 ply, but that isn't recommended.

By the way, thanks for the endorsement, Lespaulmarshall

That is so sig worthy lol, well the bit up there...^^^^^^^^^
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Ok now where to begin... Im building a telecaster too, I havent started yet, but ive done a lot of research. Im a student aswell in highscool and im doing it for a very big and important project. So for wood, well thats all a matter of preference, if you want to try to exactly replicate the telecaster the best you can, I would go for a swamp ash body or an alder body, they are both very good light weight woods. A telecaster is about 1 3/4" Thick. Im not sure if someone was wondering about the thickness of one but theres the measurement for those who need to know. Now for the template, I got mine off GuitarBuild Go to the download section and you should be able to search for the Telecaster CAD file. To open these CAD files (for those who didnt know) you should use ABviewer. Search it on google and get it. I like this program because it can print full scale, im sure otheer CAD software can do that too. Anyways there should be an option in the printing window for printing full scale. SInce your a student like me, Im guessing your on a budget. Im getting my parts from GuitarFetish, there parts are very good for there prices (so ive heard) and there pickups, although cheap are very good for there vallue. Ive heard like 80% good comments from there pickups. Hmm Neck, if you want a cheap one you can go buy a Mightymite neck off ebay for about 90$ USD which is a good deal I guess. Ohh and another great community for information is Project Guitar They have given me a lot of valuable information. I dont mean to advertise sorry If you need any more questions please ask me ill be glad to help anyone!
Are you sure you want to start off building with a neck? I'm not sure that you'd be ready to take on a neck, you could buy a premade neck, or one with a paddle headstock and just shape it yourself.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

There is no reason why he can't make a neck for his first guitar. The neck is the fun part.
I agree to the fact that its the fun part too, its where people looks for the identity of the guitar