...for a new bass. I'm trading in my Taylor acoustic (since it is collecting dust), and possibly my Epiphone Thunderbird, so I'll have around $700-900 CDN (roughly $600-750 USD) to spend, possibly a bit more.

I've been looking at various basses online, etc., but I just want as many suggestions as possible in case I've missed some.

I play mostly rock, funk, and jazz, but I'm not looking for any particular sound. The main criteria I'm looking for are:

-5 strings (preferably, if I find a 4 or 6 that I love that's fine by me, the number of strings isn't a big deal...so long as it's comfortable)
-preferably with a satin or unfinished neck, I generally don't get along with laquered necks.
-preferably a maple fretboard (again, I'm flexible)

Finally, my current basses are (barring the Thunderbird) a Peavey Milestone III, and an Ibanez SR-505, so please don't suggest those particular basses

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
a very versatile bass is the Fender Jaguar, if you can find a used Musicman on evilbay than that could be ok. hmm another bass could be a used american fender bass
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
I've asked this before, but never really got a clear answer. If I wanted to convert a 4-string bass into a fiver, what would I need to swap out? Bridge and neck obviously, and the pickups may or may not work.....is there really anything else that would need to be done? I only ask because I've been looking at the Jaguar, but I really want a five string.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
I've asked this before, but never really got a clear answer. If I wanted to convert a 4-string bass into a fiver, what would I need to swap out? Bridge and neck obviously, and the pickups may or may not work.....is there really anything else that would need to be done? I only ask because I've been looking at the Jaguar, but I really want a five string.

There's no easy, good way to do it. You'd have to install a new bridge, get a new neck, then widen the neck pocket/drill new screw holes, then install the new neck. You could use the old pups, but it'd sound like shit, and you'd lose a lot of output on some of the strings. It's really more trouble then it's worth, and you likely wouldn't be happy with the results unless you got a professional to do it. And that would cost major dollars.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Bit out of my price range, mate.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss