Hey guys. I was at my local Music Go Round today, since we had the day off of school for the cold, and I found an incredible deal.

They have a Squier Stagemaster there for $100. For those who don't know about the Stagemaster, it's the greatest Squier ever made. It has an alder body, a licensed Floyd Rose, reversed headstock, etc.

Anyways, I sat with for about half an hour and just messed with it. The Floyd is of incredible quality. It's very smooth, stays in tune perfectly even after heavy dive bombs and pull ups, and the thing is at least six or seven years old. And the body is made of what sounds like, pretty good alder.

So I'll definitely be picking it up on Thursday, 'cause that's when I get paid.

The only thing I don't like about it is the electronics, and the route.

The pickups are very noisy, and the pots are really stiff and scratchy. But those can be very easily replaced.

The routing on the other hand, is of regular Stratocaster type. Which means that it's basically a swimming pool route. And I hate pickguards, so I was planning on filling the route in, except for the bridge humbucker, and the neck single coil. I'm even planning on filling in the control cavity route.

So, I was wondering if you guys could help me fill in the route.

Basically, here's an overview of where I want to go with this;

* Fill in middle pickup cavity
* Fill in control cavity
* Remove all controls except for one volume, and one three way switch
* Paint
* Replace neck (?) <-- Still undecided about this. I just don't like rosewood boards

If you guys have any other ideas for modding it, by all means, throw them out. I might hear something I like.

And here's some of the pics I promised you. I will add more pictures as I progress with this project.

Squier Stagemaster (Still At Music Go Round)

I'm going to do a mockup of it on the Kisekae thingy, and I'll put up a pic of that in a few minutes.
I like it, go for it dude.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
looks like a squier 51 with no pickguard and a floyd haha also not really diggin the puke green color i personally would suggest something else anyways goodluck ill keep checking back to see your progress
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Quote by AnthonyG
looks like a squier 51 with no pickguard and a floyd haha also not really diggin the puke green color i personally would suggest something else anyways goodluck ill keep checking back to see your progress

Like I said above, if you have any suggestions, throw them out.

I can take constructive criticism.
well sounds like you got it all figured out for the most part except maybe finish. I'd be happy to help ya come up with some ideas but what exactly are ya looking to do? id say personalize it a little more do a cool design or logo or give us some ideas of things you'd be willing to paint on it
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Quote by AnthonyG
well sounds like you got it all figured out for the most part except maybe finish. I'd be happy to help ya come up with some ideas but what exactly are ya looking to do? id say personalize it a little more do a cool design or logo or give us some ideas of things you'd be willing to paint on it

Well, I was thinking that if I didn't do OD Green, that I would do a solid red. Like Ferrari red.

And I'm not big on designs, I like solid colors a lot more. But if you've got a design or two, give 'em to me. I might find one I like. If I like the idea, no matter how complex, I'm willing to try it.

If I don't like it, after I'm finished. No biggie, just throw on some paint stripper, and scrape the paint off.

And, you're gonna think I'm nuts, but this is the finish I really, really, really dig.

Last edited by Pacifica112J at Feb 6, 2007,
^That's finish is possible to do. Just strip your guitar with a heatgun, and you will get burning marks.

What are you going to fill the cavitys with? Epoxy? Because then that finish won't be possible.
Quote by m_hedborg
^That's finish is possible to do. Just strip your guitar with a heatgun, and you will get burning marks.

What are you going to fill the cavitys with? Epoxy? Because then that finish won't be possible.

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, with the heat gun.

As for filling it in, I was thinking a couple of hardwood blocks and some wood putty. But I can see where that would interfere with that particular finish.

When wood putty dries, doesn't it look and act exactly like wood? If so, I don't think that finish will be so much of a problem.

Anyhow, I'll probably end up doing a solid blue or green.
Quote by TBC Guitarist
Maybe you could do whatever you want to fill up the holes, but then get a top to put on it just so you could do the burn job?

You mean like a veneer?

That's not a bad idea.

I'm giving you an E-Kiss right now.

That's genious. I wouldn't have to fill in any of the cavities or anything, just glue on a veneer.

I may just do that. We'll see how it pans out, though.
I'd go with a combination of what's been posted above: heat gun + chemical stripping to remove large areas of paint, sanding to remove only certain areas (see the white area left above), filling in the PU routes with hardwood blocks + epoxy (sand t smooth), then some creative painting/spraying to get that battle-scarred/reliced look.

The veneer wood on top would be a great idea if you wanted to start from a blank platform, then add the various stains, paints and semi-staind or burned areas you see on the model. But since you already have a painted guitar in a clean red, I'd work on filling the PU holes first, then sand to wood the surrounding or part of the surrounding area, leave a bit of the red, chemically strip and use a heatgun on certain areas.

Check out the brown stain glob with the Black squares ... I'd do a "sloppy" stain, let it dry, mask, then spray the Black over to recreate the look.

I'd cover some area of the bare wood, stain around it using the Brown stain.

If you don't like the Red of your guitar to be the smooth area (White in the model), scuff sand it to remove the gloss, then spray it White.

After you get the overall look you want, clearcoat the whole body. Do it lightly but clearcoat it with at least 1 or 2 cans.

BTW, the Black squares in the model look to be intentionally "sloppy" repairs to cover the holes of the previous toneknobs ... not sure if they're square chunks of dark wood or wood painted black or tape.

This is definitely a fun project not requiring extreme care with the handling of stain and colorcoat. It does require careful planning of the proper sequences to approximate the look though. Good Luck!

Quote by Ippon
I'd go with a combination of what's been posted above: heat gun + chemical stripping to remove large areas of paint, sanding to remove only certain areas (see the white area left above), filling in the PU routes with hardwood blocks + epoxy (sand t smooth), then some creative painting/spraying to get that battle-scarred/reliced look.

Mmmmmm... Paint stripper, heat guns, poly dust, paint. Smells like cancer to me.

Anyways, I'm probably not going to go with the veneer, as it just seems like too much to be bothered with for a hundred dollar Squier. I would definitely do it, but only if I felt it was worth the effort. And right now, I don't feel that it's worth the effort.

But I think filling in the routes is going to give me a lot of trouble. It is a swimming pool route, and that's going to be a bitch, what with cutting all the hardwood blocks to fit exactly, then using wood epoxy. So I'll definitely need all the guidance and feedback I can get with that.

The veneer wood on top would be a great idea if you wanted to start from a blank platform, then add the various stains, paints and semi-staind or burned areas you see on the model. But since you already have a painted guitar in a clean red, I'd work on filling the PU holes first, then sand to wood the surrounding or part of the surrounding area, leave a bit of the red, chemically strip and use a heatgun on certain areas.

I'm thinking of just filling the ENTIRE cavity, then routing out brand new pickup cavities from there. But, I dunno.

Anyways, I'm sure I can do the messed up finish without much trouble. I'm just going to be a lazy ass with it. Slap some stain on it, then throw some stripper on it, etc.

Check out the brown stain glob with the Black squares ... I'd do a "sloppy" stain, let it dry, mask, then spray the Black over to recreate the look.

Actually, the black squares are strips of electrical tape.

I'd cover some area of the bare wood, stain around it using the Brown stain.

Yeah, I get paid under the table staining furniture, so I should be able to get some left over stains.

If you don't like the Red of your guitar to be the smooth area (White in the model), scuff sand it to remove the gloss, then spray it White.

After you get the overall look you want, clearcoat the whole body. Do it lightly but clearcoat it with at least 1 or 2 cans.

BTW, the Black squares in the model look to be intentionally "sloppy" repairs to cover the holes of the previous toneknobs ... not sure if they're square chunks of dark wood or wood painted black or tape.

This is definitely a fun project not requiring extreme care with the handling of stain and colorcoat. It does require careful planning of the proper sequences to approximate the look though. Good Luck!

In actuality, though, I'll probably just paint it a solid "Forest" type green. Green is my favorite colour.

The only thing I'm really unsure about is the cavity filling. If I want to totally do away with it, I'll have to route it from the back, which I'm not uncomfortable doing, I just don't have the tools to do it. Hell, I don't even have a working power drill or Dremel tool, as my friends come over and use my tools, then fry them.

Anyways, I'll see how everything works out.

Thanks so much, you guys. Especially you, Ippon.

I don't want to look like a total fucking slob.