http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/05/the-new-guitar-gods-cover-men-mayer-trucks-and-frusciante/

I think the title "Guitar God" is ridiculous, but it's nice to see three guitarists on the cover of a magazine that doesn't have the word "guitar" in the title.

It's cool to see Trucks in the spotlight for once. A lot of people that play know who he is, but it's evident (and very sad), looking at the comments on this article, that he's not very well known outside of the jam community, and even then it seems like people only know about his work with the Allman Brother's Band. Maybe now they'll wake up and stop sleeping on this guy.

I'm a big fan of Mayer. He writes solid songs that appeal to several audiences. I like that he's combining blues and pop, like some of the people that have come before him, and I think he gets a bad rap because he has such a large female fanbase.

I like Frusciante, and enjoyed Stadium Arcadium. He's probably the least technically proficient of the three, but his studio work with layering parts really makes the album.

What are your thoughts? I figured it would be okay to post this here due to Trucks' worll and blues music, as well as Mayer's blues leanings.

-Kevin
They are all amazing, any three of the best living guitarists.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
It says they had a jam session together and they (the website) were supposed to post it on 2/6/07, but they never did. If anyone finds it, please post it here or in the vid thread.
^Yes, post it asap.

I dont really care for Frusc, but thats killer to see Trucks get some of the limelight, especially for a very overrated and quite crap of a magazine, but it is popular.

And, well, of course Mayer is the obbsession.
My 3 current favorite guitarist on a cover of a magazine Ill have to pick it up, Frusciante is under-rated he may not be blues but he's one hell of a funk guitarist, and Mayer crosses all border of blues and Pop as well as jazz, Trucks s an other under-rated relatively unknown unbeliveable guitarist.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
^ I dunno that he's underrated; just about everyone I know who's heard him thinks that he's great. Unknown might be a more appropriate word.

And, well, I'm glad Trucks gets some exposure. Mayer and Fruschiante, I don't really care either way. I like the Chili Peppers, but I've never found anything I exceptionally liked about his soloing.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Trucks is a brilliant musician. Some of his slide work is awesome.

Mayer, too, is a technically brilliant guitarist who does get a lot of bad press for this bubble-gum pop stuff. One listen to his Trio album changes that perception though.

Frusciante is awesome. He's my all time hero. Granted, he's not an out-and-out blues/jazz musician in his studio stuff, but he is heavily into Wes Montgomery and Django Reinhardt. He also takes a large interest in classical music. The man's dedication to music is awe-inspiring. However, I can completely understand those who aren't a fan or haven't warmed to him as much as I have.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Last edited by cagnius at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by cagnius
Trucks is a brilliant musician. Some of his slide work is awesome.

Some ?!?

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Frusciante is way better than the music he makes. Although, I've never heard any solo works by him, so maybe I shouldnt really judge him by his Chili Peppers stuff.
Quote by Roll251
Cover and video are up.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily

Love how Mayer has to speak for Trucks... he seems quite shy.

Trucks, though... what a sound! I've listened to him for a year and he still amazes me. I hate to sound like a drooling fanboy, but he really seems to me to have his own voice on the guitar.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I was disappointed in the froosh in the video. He really held back.

For some reason, whenever I see John Mayer interviewed, I want to smack him, yet I love his music. Odd.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by cagnius

For some reason, whenever I see John Mayer interviewed, I want to smack him, yet I love his music. Odd.

I know what you mean. He has that sort of backhanded cockiness that is subtle enough to ignore, but impossible to overlook.
I know what you mean. He has that sort of backhanded cockiness that is subtle enough to ignore, but impossible to overlook.

Yea, I get that impression too. However, he used to be extremely shy and almost never gave interviews.

But lately because of his new "rock n' roll" image he seems to have come out a little bit and comes across as being a bit cocky sometimes, and other times just a plain jerk.

However, from what i've read of his own writings and videos of seen of him in a less "you da' man!" sort of settings he seems a lot more subdued and generally likeable. I think he's just has an "onstage persona" thing going for him.

At any rate even if you want to slug him when he opens his mouth you can't fault his playing.

O, and that video was amazing, but Frusc was a bit disapointing. Derek looked like he just didn't want to be there but he definitly played gorgeously and I think he was the best of the three.

Cheers
-Falcatarius
Quote by Roll251
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/05/the-new-guitar-gods-cover-men-mayer-trucks-and-frusciante/

I think the title "Guitar God" is ridiculous, but it's nice to see three guitarists on the cover of a magazine that doesn't have the word "guitar" in the title.

It's cool to see Trucks in the spotlight for once. A lot of people that play know who he is, but it's evident (and very sad), looking at the comments on this article, that he's not very well known outside of the jam community, and even then it seems like people only know about his work with the Allman Brother's Band. Maybe now they'll wake up and stop sleeping on this guy.

I'm a big fan of Mayer. He writes solid songs that appeal to several audiences. I like that he's combining blues and pop, like some of the people that have come before him, and I think he gets a bad rap because he has such a large female fanbase.

I like Frusciante, and enjoyed Stadium Arcadium. He's probably the least technically proficient of the three, but his studio work with layering parts really makes the album.

What are your thoughts? I figured it would be okay to post this here due to Trucks' worll and blues music, as well as Mayer's blues leanings.

-Kevin

Well not saying this directly to you but once people hear/see Frusciante live then it becomes more obvious why he is in here.

Also I think John held back cause ya he is a shy person, maybe its the "Guitar God" title that bothers him aswell...cause when you look at his solo stuff, you would never think to call him a "Guitar God" more like a good singer/songwriter. Even with RHCP, like someone up there said...he's better then the music he makes.
Last edited by Funky M0nk at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by Funky M0nk
Well not saying this directly to you but once people hear/see Frusciante live then it becomes more obvious why he is in here.

Also I think John held back cause ya he is a shy person, maybe its the "Guitar God" title that bothers him aswell...cause when you look at his solo stuff, you would never think to call him a "Guitar God" more like a good singer/songwriter.

Watch this live Red Hot Chili Peppers show and you'll see what we mean.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3979746648226949027&q=Red+Hot+Chili+Peppers+Live
And I wish the jam was longer and showcased each guitarist individual's skills like Frusciante's rhythm skill, Derek's Slide, and John Mayer's blues and general funk slap skill.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
I know the interviews, and I will agree that John can get a bit "cocky", if you choose to put it that way. But to me it really didnt seem like he was like that in this t'all.
Mayer and Frusciante or 2 of my favorite guitarists. I dont know much about Trucks, but its something I will look into if he is in the same league as these other 2 guys.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
You'll love Trucks then he's in the same if not a league of his own. He played with the Allman Brothers Band when he was 9 years own and now he tours with them also.

Pick up Songlines.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by Roll251

I take that back. I just watched a live video, and he's ridiculous in a way that a 12 bar blues jam won't allow someone to show. He's just not in his best element in this vi-juh.
Quote by Skraeling86
Frusciante is God.

Mayer is a fantastic musician.

Someone's partying like it's 1966. I don't understand calling any musician 'God', and I certainly don't understand why Mr Frusciante is worthy of the title.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by Roll251
I take that back. I just watched a live video, and he's ridiculous in a way that a 12 bar blues jam won't allow someone to show. He's just not in his best element in this vi-juh.

Ya, his natural element is on stage in front of people, that's when his talent really comes through. He's not a blues jam type of guy, thats why he sucks in the video. A good jam video is with him, Flea and Omar from the Mars Volta, it's 20 some minutes long.

BTW Live at Slane or Hyde Park = Some of Johns best live work.
Last edited by Funky M0nk at Feb 8, 2007,
Quote by Funky M0nk
Ya, his natural element is on stage in front of people, that's when his talent really comes through. He's not a blues jam type of guy, thats why he sucks in the video. A good jam video is with him, Flea and Omar from the Mars Volta, it's 20 some minutes long.

BTW Live at Slane or Hyde Park = Some of Johns best live work.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4238147081770670082
Omar doesnt really sound as good as John in this video.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by noah22791
They are all amazing, any three of the best living guitarists.

minus like, Page, Clapton, and Beck?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
minus like, Page, Clapton, and Beck?

Except for the fact that two of those guys don't play so well any more?

(As in, the two that aren't Jeff Beck)

Quote by Encore_God

I haven't actually heard Page lately, but Clapton doesn't play well anymore?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Encore_God

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Have HEARD Clapton on his current tour? He hasnt lost anything. He may write less explosive songs these days, but the man is still incredible. (if you need more proof, watch Stormy Monday from the Cream 2005 Royal Albert Hall DVD)
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Have HEARD Clapton on his current tour? He hasnt lost anything. He may write less explosive songs these days, but the man is still incredible. (if you need more proof, watch Stormy Monday from the Cream 2005 Royal Albert Hall DVD)

I have, and I agree that he's improved recently, but even the man himself he isn't what he was. Around 2001, he was pretty dire. Also, I thought that performance of Stormy Monday was atrocious, except for Clapton's vocals, which were top notch (and are better now than ever)

The difference between Clapton/Page and Beck is that (worryingly for all us guitarists) Jeff Beck keeps getting better. He's just an exceptionally talented guitarist.

Quote by Encore_God
I have, and I agree that he's improved recently, but even the man himself he isn't what he was. Around 2001, he was pretty dire. Also, I thought that performance of Stormy Monday was atrocious, except for Clapton's vocals, which were top notch (and are better now than ever)

He admits that he lost a technical step or two (chalk it up to old age), but he's still able to emote beautifully on the guitar. I have a bootleg from the Hong Kong show a few weeks ago with him doing Little Wing. Clapton absolutley wails.

Quote by Encore_God
The difference between Clapton/Page and Beck is that (worryingly for all us guitarists) Jeff Beck keeps getting better. He's just an exceptionally talented guitarist.

No arguments here. I didnt like most of the tracks on the album "Jeff." But its clear that his musical sense has never stopped evolving. To quote Joe Satriani, "With every album he sounds more like Jeff Beck than ever before."