How in the world do I get a punchy, crisp, yet very bassey tone?
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Fender Jazz Bass.

im not to fluent in knowledge bass amps. so i cant recommend anything there
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
like Tool? or like ... geddy lee? lol
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
like Tool? or like ... geddy lee? lol

It's very hard to describe. The only way I can put it is very crisp but at the same time very low ended. Almost like a Megadeth tone.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
some peavey amps have this wonderful thing where there is a pregain and post gain type knobs. the pregain amplifies the signal before the preamp does anything and the post gain amplifies the sound after the preamp does it's stuff. now the relevent part is that these knobs can be pulled out to change your tone. on the post gain if you pull it out that knob also adds punch. this way i can get my tone nice and bassy and then pull that knob out. then with a few minor adjustments i have a beautiful full bassy yet punchy tone.

so what i'm saying is look for amps that have punch options like this. mine is a TNT series.

hope i helped a bit.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
By a tube amp

you almost immediatley get a warm, punchy but deep bass sound if u just fiddle the Eq right
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
I know people disagreed with me when I said this before, but scooping out the mids while boosting the bass and treble help the crispness and the bassiness. Mids tend to cloud the signal quite a bit (although they do help cut through), so if you boost them less than you boost treble and bass, you separate the treble and bass, making them stand out more, and making your tone less honky (as I described it, like humming with your nose plugged). However, you don't want to go overboard with mid-scooping, because it can really make the tone sound hollow... so I suggest you scoop enough to get a crisp, bassy tone, but not too much where you can feel it but not hear it.

If you want some punch, play with your fingers. If you want more crispiness, play with a pick.

But the key is: crank the treble! That was John Entwistle's philosophy, and he inspired pretty much every bass player ever since then.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..