for some songs, like i wanna play some songs that are 1 1/2 steps tuned down or just drop B tuning and when i tune down that low, the strings become unusuable and i can only drop down to a full step. do i need to get better strings or like....ahh i dunno how to do this. please help =\
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
need to have your guitar set up with thicker strings, i would recommend .12 for your high e.
the lesser known of the 4
well for drop tunings like that u should use thicker strings like .11, .14, .18 , .28, .38, .52(thats going from high to low string gauge) gauges like that are better for droping but they will always be floppy just smaller guages sound like nothing
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
ohhh ok i see, thanks guys, would i still be able to go to standard tuning with gauges like that?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
Last edited by guy66657 at Feb 6, 2007,
My old band was drop B. We used the GHS Zakk Wylde Low set. The gauges are 011, .014, .018, .036, .052, .070. And believe me, these strings tuned to drop B sound fkn amazing! Made my LP sound like a jackhammer. But it may take a while for your fingers to adjust to them.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
70 guage for the bottom!!!

Holy hell thats huge!
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
What kinda bridge do you have? I tune to B with the D'addario Light Top/Heavy Bottom strings they go from .010-.052 and they're awesome strings
Quote by Dudage
70 guage for the bottom!!!

Holy hell thats huge!

It is huge, but gives a killer sound. Does not have the sloppy spaghetti string feel or the puny sound that thinner strings give at that tuning. Sounds extremely robust and punchy. If you ever wanna go LOW, I would recommend these strings.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Quote by guy66657
ohhh ok i see, thanks guys, would i still be able to go to standard tuning with gauges like that?

You could but the strings will be tighter then usual and if you have tremelo lock its gonna be hard to switch tunings that much
Quote by guy66657

yes, but the string will be really tight (bends will be really hard) it's hard to setup a guitar for such variated tunings,
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
My old band was drop B. We used the GHS Zakk Wylde Low set. The gauges are 011, .014, .018, .036, .052, .070. And believe me, these strings tuned to drop B sound fkn amazing! Made my LP sound like a jackhammer. But it may take a while for your fingers to adjust to them.

+1

I have the same set on my washburn right now.
Yea, thicker strings would probably help, but I tune to standard C with .10's, and they work fine for me.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Any of you guys actually played a baritone guitar? Standard intervals, but starts on a low A. The bottom A feels almost like one of the higher strings on a bass.

I've only played a Baritone Jaguar, but if you set one up with EMGs for metal it could sound awesome.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by LouieStrat
Whatever happened to Standard tuning?

Thats a good question.

But I'm getting a 7-string and I'm keeping it in standard. I'm not a huge fan of drop-tunings.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Larger scale guitars, thicker strings. 7+ strings are a good idea if you want the low range without having to constantly alter tunings and loose the higher register.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
Quote by guy66657

Make sure you check/set the intonation when you change gauges
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Or you could get a whammy pedal, has a drop tune feature right on it so you can change the tuning a whole step down and anything in between without manuually tuning.
If you drop down a step or two, get bigger strings. If you drop the note on only one string get a bigger string for that string.
If you drop all the strings down three or more steps, then you need a baritone guitar.
Like most stated before, if you're planning to use a low tuning then the best option is to get a higher gauge strings.
I often use flat tunings and I'm using 11s and they hold just fine.
eat sleep play guitar
.015s for the win!
I used to use them and I tuned them in Drop A all the time.
Weee.

otherwise buy a baritone guitar.