Hi,
I'm kinda new to playing the guitar and im having problems with soloing. I'm not sure if its just the fact im not creative enough. Has anyone got any tips on soloing??? I had a look at the soloing section on UG but its just about sweep picking but i can't do that, should i practise so i can sweep pick???
Thanks

Cai
you should try things that sound good to you, just mess around with the guitar.
And by practising wseep picking you will have more oportunities to write a good solo.
Looking for a new sig!
Pentatonic scale to start with, speed it up using a metronome, try to make games out of it... And technique - Tapping, Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, Palm Mute, Slides, Bends, String Skipping, Alternate Picking, Sweep Picking, Pinch Harmonics, Natural Harmonics, Economy Picking.

If you don't know what all of those are, start with the ones you know, and then look for the rest on UG.
learn the natural minro scale. great for melodic leads.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
the crap w/ scales! just mess around w/ blues songs and stuff. Try the white stripes: Ball and Biscut if u know the song. Just find a simple blues song and jam to it. Go to E, then solo, E, solo, A, solo, E, solo, B, solo, A, solo, E, solo. Simple as that. That's how I learned at least.
One thing I like to do is focus on specific techniques. Let's use...

- Bends
- Legato
- Sweep Picking
- String Skipping
- False Harmonics
- Double stops

Now, spend about 10 minutes on each technique and compose a few solos using only that technique. After that, try combining two techniques, then three. The goal is to work the techniques seamlessly into you playing. It makes your soloing a lot more interesting. Alternate picking isn't the only way to play the guitar.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by hippyguitardude
just play watever the crap u want to! improvise! jam! have fun! forget the scales and learning processes!

Shut up, we've been over this. I'm not explaining why you're wrong again.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Shut up, we've been over this. I'm not explaining why you're wrong again.

yeah the best thing you can do is learn your theory. the more you learn the more freedom you'll have to do what you want to do. also the more "rules" you learn the more you'll understand how to break them
Ok cool thanks. Thats all really helpful. I'll have to search UG for what all those terms are though. Sounds super!
watch the link BGC posted, its freakin wonderful, good stuff. you can learn alot real quickly. i recommend brushing up on some basic music theory and chord construction before you watch it just to understand whats going on. good luck man!