Marshall Jackhammer, Boss DS-1, EHX Big Muff

IT will be used for music such as Nirvana, Soundgarden Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, RHCP, AC/DC, etc so mainly hard rock. i already have an overdrive pedal for softer stuff and classic rock

I need some backround info on those and some pros and cons before i go out and try them out

Edit: Also add the Mrshall Guv'nor to the list
Last edited by dunebuge6969 at Feb 7, 2007,
For anything grunge, definitely either the DS-1 or the Big Muff. I like the DS-1 better personally.
the big muff is a little over the top, if thats what you want, go for it, its pretty damn dirty. The DS-1 is probably the most versatile IMO,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
the dsi-1 can get as dirty as the big muff but it would suite your music.
Looking for a new sig!
A big muff will do well for Nirvana, Pumpkins and Rage. Not sure about chilis, and it won't do AC/DC, too gainy. If you have an overdrive it should be enough for AC/DC.

But the muff is a fuzz pedal (though the new sovtek ones are getting close to a distortion) so if you don't want fuzz maybe the muff isn't for you.

The DS-1 sounds harsh to me, most famous people that use them have them heavily modded. I've never played a jackhammer, but I've heard one and while it's a bit rough it does hard rock OK.

I'd go for the muff, but it is a love or hate kind of pedal.

EDIT: Also, make sure when you play the pedals you either bring your guitar and amp, or you bring just your guitar and try a crystal clear clean amp.

Also, check how they respond to picking dynamics and rolling off your volume.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Feb 7, 2007,
Jackhammer is a very underrated and not well known peddle. I have one and its great for GNR and stuff like that, and if you role the gain back enough you can get some solid zeppelin tones. Its a great pedal for $70
Maxon SD9 ?? I dig Scott Henderson's tone.... may not be for grunge though.......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I'd say the DS-1 or the Big Muff. I have both and I love. (My DS-1 is broken )
Sent from my iPad.
Dude, if you want a grunge sound, buy the Digitech Grunge pedal. I use it and it sounds great for all kinds of music in the grunge-rock range. I highly suggest it, it can run on an adapter and is only 40 dollars at samash or guitar center. Even though Kurt used a Boss Ds-1, I think he would be proud with a Grunge pedal. Check them out!
Quote by VRGNR08
Jackhammer is a very underrated and not well known peddle. I have one and its great for GNR and stuff like that, and if you role the gain back enough you can get some solid zeppelin tones. Its a great pedal for $70

yup!
i've used the jackhammer before, and the clipping is very natural sounding. Plus there's a lot of tweakability with that much knobs.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by LouieStrat
Dude, if you want a grunge sound, buy the Digitech Grunge pedal. I use it and it sounds great for all kinds of music in the grunge-rock range. I highly suggest it, it can run on an adapter and is only 40 dollars at samash or guitar center. Even though Kurt used a Boss Ds-1, I think he would be proud with a Grunge pedal. Check them out!

He hated the Grunge pedal. Sorry to break it to you. He used it for one show (a TV spot) as a joke. During the middle of the set he got so sick with it he picked it up and smashed it into pieces. He felt insulted that someone would actually put a "grunge" pedal out when before grunge was so famous people used the word to insult people like him.

After he smashed it he plugged into his trusty DS-1.
Quote by LouieStrat

dont listen to this guy. i wouldnt recommend buying any digitech pedals..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

^ Eh...some are ok. Most sound too digital (DIGItech) and they suck massive tone. But I liked my Digidelay...until I got the VisualSound H20...
^ yeah i tried the digidelay. probably the only decent digitech.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots