Okay, so i looked around this site, and couldn't find any threads on this. just point me to them if there are some already, and i'll delete this...

Anyway.

So i'm building a bass with my friend. haha. we're off to a good start.

We've got a body so far, and a bunch of holes to stick stuff in... like pickups and stuff you know?

but we need everything to go on it. a bridge, a neck, pickups, knobs, and all the other little dangly bits inside....

is there any way i can get a hold of all that stuff without having to buy each bit individually? like a set kinda thing? i know i could buy an old bass of ebay, and strip the parts, but i'd rather have a set of decent quality ones, rather than some piece of crap someone else doesn't want.

if you can help, it would be appreciated.

Jazkel24
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
...Also depends on what kind of body, what types of pickups are able to fit, active or passive? What type of bridge? What type of wood for the neck? How many knobs?

Really, it depends on what the body can accomodate vs. what you want, or a combination of the two.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
i don't mind spending money, but my thing is that i know nothing about what i need. I've seen ppl advertise stuff on ebay, like pickups and knobs prewired together, but i never managed to get in a bid for it.

Is there some company that would sell the pickups, the knobs, the wires, and whatever else you need all as one set?

or dyou reckon it'd be easier to try and buy an old bass of ebay?
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071

definitely, thats probably ur best bet.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It's a custom body. i think my friend actually jacked it off someone else, so i probably shouldn't post it, in case someone notices their own design... :P

hm... warmoth looks good... BUT there is a huge range of different things.

How am i meant to know if i want a Gotoh 201 4 String Bridge, or a Gotoh 206 4 string bridge? understand that i'm a total noob when it comes to any of this stuff...

and when you go to the hardware dropdown menu, and the bass tab, and then parts/electronics, it pops up with words like "potentiometer" and "string ferrules".

I kinda figured you'd just bolt a neck and a bridge on, drop some pickups in the holes, slap some knobs on, and wire it all together, and off you'd go.

maybe i should be looking just for a bass to strip the parts off of, to learn about it, and then upgrade the parts to what i'm looking for in terms of sound?

edit: haha. something like this maybe...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PINK-43-Bass-Electric-Guitar-w-Acc-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ200077449756QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by jazkel24 at Feb 8, 2007,
ok.

so i'm going with the buying an old bass and stripping it for parts idea.

and i need help with wiring and stuff.

any schematics or anything on wiring?