Page 1 of 2
Hi Ug'ers.

Ive got about $500-600 AUD to spend on a guitar.

Looking for something that can shred, has a Floyd Rose and preferably be an ibanez RG lol.

Which model would suit me?
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
I did an exchange, and it said that was about 460 in us dollars. I think you would be better off to save up a little bit more. The floyd rose is what really kills you in that price range, because that is a pretty expensive bridge, and if they put that on a midrange guitar, all the other stuff on it would have to be crap to make up for the money spent on it.

So, you could either A. lower your standards to a non-floyd, or B.You could save up for a guitar with a floyd (which would also be better quality overall).
550 Used on the Bay,

anything prestige really from ibanez.

PSN ID: ArranP
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, but you didn't say you were willing to go used, and alot of people don't like buying guitars off ebay. But you could definately do alot better on there.
Quote by 1fine69
I did an exchange, and it said that was about 460 in us dollars. I think you would be better off to save up a little bit more. The floyd rose is what really kills you in that price range, because that is a pretty expensive bridge, and if they put that on a midrange guitar, all the other stuff on it would have to be crap to make up for the money spent on it.

So, you could either A. lower your standards to a non-floyd, or B.You could save up for a guitar with a floyd (which would also be better quality overall).

yeah, or more likely, they put a piece of crap bridge on the guitar which is more bother than it's worth.

I'd say used rg550/570/560 or used 1570/1550. unless you can get up to the price of those new.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's not much money dude. I got an RG1570 for $1000 used
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
I'm from Australia dude, i meant australian dollars. they rrp for $1500au over here
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Oh, that makes sense, I guess I just automatically think american, since I am.............sorry about that.
The RG370 should be about in your price range
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
I was looking at the RG370DX, as its only $400 USD.

Any good?

OR

Is there something higher quality without a FR but has a whammy bar.

I need this to do like Dive bombs etc as im playing Japanese metal etc.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Last edited by SMterminator at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by SMterminator
I was looking at the RG370DX, as its only $400 USD.

Any good?

OR

Is there something higher quality without a FR but has a whammy bar.

I need this to do like Dive bombs etc as im playing Japanese metal etc.

dont buy any of todays lower end models. the edge III sucks. i have a friend that really annoyed cause of the edge III. i say used s470..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

yeah, the trem on the rg370 is poor.

seriously, rg550/570 second hand, or rg1550/1570 second hand. or else save up for one of those new. What's so hard to understand? it's counterproductive to go for something with an edge III.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Buy a used rg (1)550 / (1)570....
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
i second dave_ mc ang trailen. i also recommend used S series..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

What's wrong with the edge III? I hear a lot of people complaining about it but no real explanation as to why
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
The knife edges (where the bridge pivots) are known to wear off within the first year, this makes the bridge unstable and the guitar will go out of tune easier.
yeah, they don't use hardened steel for the knife edges on the cheaper Edge II/III trems, it's a more expensive process to make it stronger. When those start to wear down, it cause the trem to not ride perfectly on the studs, so tuning stability gets affected.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Can someone tell me what a knife edge is?? Where would I find them on my 1570?
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Ok, you know the post things on each side of the bridge that go into the guitar? The knife edge is the indented part of the bridge that is in contact with those.

And you shouldn't have to worry, the 1570's are known to have good trems.
+1 on the knife edges, my lo-trs's (forerunner of edge III) knife edges are eroded to hell.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is that different from the low pro, I don't know that much about ibanez trems, but I've heard those are good.
yeah, big difference in the lo-pro and lo-trs. The Lo-Pro was/is used on the high end models like the JEMs. The lo-pro is just a low profile Edge, like the Floyd Rose Pro compared to the OFR.

Quote by Dave_Mc

seriously, rg550/570 second hand, or rg1550/1570 second hand. or else save up for one of those new. What's so hard to understand? it's counterproductive to go for something with an edge III.

+1
I have an old RG570 with an original Edge from 1986, and it's still got great tuning stability. Pic
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 8, 2007,
My RG270 has never stayed in tune very well. when I dive I have to pull it back up to get it to pull back in tune. I replaced the original cheap bridge with the Edge atbout 11 years ago, and it has still never had much tuning stability.

Oh well, I rarely use ithe whammy anyway. and this guitar will soon be retired in favor of a 2007 ESP H-1001!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
well, if you've been playing at least 11 years already, you probably know every setup trick. What I have found though, on alot of my friends guitars, the locking nut isn't working correctly and they didn't notice it. The little string retainer after the locking nut has to be pressing the strings down far enough, where they are resting in the little "v"'s at the top of the nut, so the strings are angled down after the nut. If the aren't sitting in the little V groove, the locking mechanism doesn't work as well. Another thing to check is the springs, I've found they can wear out after about 5 years if you use the trem enough. Also, sometimes the actual posts wear, where they get a flat wide spot, and that will affect stability. That's a shame it hasn't worked well for you, I've had great luck with all the original Edge and Edge Pro trems I've used.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
well, if you've been playing at least 11 years already, you probably know every setup trick. What I have found though, on alot of my friends guitars, the locking nut isn't working correctly and they didn't notice it. The little string retainer after the locking nut has to be pressing the strings down far enough, where they are resting in the little "v"'s at the top of the nut, so the strings are angled down after the nut. If the aren't sitting in the little V groove, the locking mechanism doesn't work as well. Another thing to check is the springs, I've found they can wear out after about 5 years if you use the trem enough. Also, sometimes the actual posts wear, where they get a flat wide spot, and that will affect stability. That's a shame it hasn't worked well for you, I've had great luck with all the original Edge and Edge Pro trems I've used.

Yeah, I have tried all kinds of things, but it never fails, When I hit the bar down, I have to pull it back up to reset the tuning. The strings ride under the trees and the nut seems to lock well. I have used a couple different sets of springs and there was no noticable difference. I had hoped that the tuning would be better with the upgraded bridge, but it really wasnt. Like I said, I rarely use the whammy at all anymore, so its no great loss and besides, I am really looking forward to the new ESP but they wont be out until march or april according to the stores I have talked to.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by Erock503
I have an old RG570 with an original Edge from 1986, and it's still got great tuning stability. Pic

wow, that's a nice RG!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your going to need more money than that, $800 you can pick up some cheap stuff on the bay that'll last yoiu (kramers, chavel, ibanezs) otherwise your aint gonna get much!
Quote by Dave_Mc
For the cost of a Mesa Roadking, I could alternatively purchase Belgium.
I only have 1 problem with Ibanez... The bridges... I hate Edge III's... The bar doesnt screw in it just slides in, and very easily slides out whilst playing with it :/

ZR Tremolo.. That's what you want It's more like a hinge with springs on it
wait so the original Edge Pro is the good one right? so the one on all prestige models right?

gah why does ibanez have to be so damn confusing for

well it's not that bad, but i'm not the brightest when it comes to trems

EDIT and why the hell are ibanezes so cheap??!?! i mean the 2... the one that's in the 2000's (don't remember the numbers) the one that comes in vital gold/silver is like $900 US

i freakin paid 1300 can for my guitar, a DV8-R

maybe cuz it was a signature guitar?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
^ good ibanez trems are edge, edge pro, and lo-pro edge. ZR too, but it's a different design. Those exact trems, by the way- nothing with "II" or "III" in the title.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

The edge three isnt great, but its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be..... As long as you know how to maintain a floyd rose they arent bad.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
^^+2..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

^ I don't see why you'd go with something that's not great when you can go with something that's much better for not all that much more cash (or a similar amount if you go second hand).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just for the record, my 1570 goes totally out of whack, out of tune on all strings, after any up-pull larger than about a whole step. I don't really up-pull though so i'm not too fussed.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
needs a setup then. A properly setup Edge Pro shouldn't be going out of tune like that, unless you put new strings on it without stretching them.
amp clips
amp vids
and always make sure the bridge is parallel to the body....

lubricating the knife edges also helps a lot
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Page 1 of 2