Well so as I understood, most good amps have a high wattage.
But my 25W fender frontman 25R amp, already at the volume level 2 bothers my parents even with the door of my room closed. I usually play at 1.5 volume. So if with a 25W amp the minimal volume is already high, how could I play with a for example 50+W amp?
The MINIMAL volume would already be just TOO high.
So what is the point of having high wattage amps to practice in my home ?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Erm.. i dont know i f i am right but i thought that the higher wattage amps were used for gigging
And in ur case thats why amps in th 10 - 25w range are called practice amps or bedroom amps
Though it is just a hunch i may be wrong
You don't. It's overkill to practice at home with high wattage amps turned up loud, especially if your parents can't stand that amp at low volume.

And there are crap amps with high wattage, and brilliant amps with low wattage aswell.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
You don't. It's overkill to practice at home with high wattage amps turned up loud, especially if your parents can't stand that amp at low volume.

And there are crap amps with high wattage, and brilliant amps with low wattage aswell.

A point that Orange have been trying to prove for years, unfortunately most of those low wattge good amps have ridiculous price tags on them, but are worth it.
Quote by Fart Face
Erm.. i dont know i f i am right but i thought that the higher wattage amps were used for gigging
And in ur case thats why amps in th 10 - 25w range are called practice amps or bedroom amps
Though it is just a hunch i may be wrong

Ok. I just saw in youtube some guitarists that play in their rooms with marshall stacks that are higher than me and it's just weird.
And are high amps a MUST for gigs? I played in my school with my fender frontman 25R at a like 2.5 volume and it sounded good enough. vid (im the rhythm guitar):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fz6TPMKvoc8

so if playing clean, was good enough, wouldn't like for example a 6 volume be enough for a gig if I'm playing something heavy with distortion?

And what low wattage good amps are out there? something good for 80's heavy metal. like a megadeth or iron maiden tone.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

You can always mic amps at gigs, so you can basically use any wattage amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
That was quite good.

I'd rather have heard more of the lead over the drums but that could have been down to the crappy mic on the video camera.

The problem you're going to have is that if you play something a bit 'rockier' (is that a word?) then obviously your drummer is going to hit the drums a lot harder and therefore you're all going to have to turn up your amps in order to be heard.

The problem with the Fender Frontman (and similar amps) is that when you crank them you lose most of your tone.

A decent amp gives you more headroom, but as RHCP has stated you can always mic the amp into a decent PA so it isn't the end of the world.

I'd be looking for a better amp for your gigs but I'd keep the Fender for home practice.
Quote by R_H_C_P
You can always mic amps at gigs, so you can basically use any wattage amp.

Partly true. You need to have enough sound out of your own amp speakers to be able to hear what you're playing, rather than the PA mix. You don't want to be hanging around the foldback all night, cos it's mainly for the vocalist's reference and mixed accordingly. Whatever amp you play needs to be loud enough for you to hear it over the rest of the band and the PA.

To the threadstarter. Remember that high wattage amps are actually designed for use in loud venues and soundproof recording studios, you probably wouldn't play a 200W stack at home if you're parents are already annoyed with your amp.

Get good at soundproofing. Put mattresses in front of doors and windows, and stuff those draft-stoppers under the door. You'd be amazed how much of a difference just keeping doors and windows makes, I close two internal doors between me and my brother's drumkit, and I can go back to watching TV in peace. I have mattresses in front of all the front windows and doors so we don't bother the neighbours.

Better still, go somewhere else to practice. Maybe your school could let you use an empty classroom for an hour of two after school, or you might find a friend who's basement is pretty well soundproofed from the rest of the house.

If you actually get a band together, it's worth looking up proper rehearsal space, most major cities have good places catering to poor musicians. The one my friends use charges about $60Aus ($40USD) for a half day session, with all kinds of other services like amp hire. Get the whole band to contribute and you can spend all saturday rehearsing in a soundproof room with a built in PA (ours has a beer fridge included).

This is our local studio, check out if there's anything like this near you

http://www.zenstudios.com.au/index.php?zen=rehearsals
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Dude, those are some cool school uniforms!
Or are you in the army?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
thread starter, i suggest u hang onto that amp a while. ur type of music style is perfect for a lower watt, good clean practice amp. as u move on a bit ull enjoy all that tube amps have to offer.

but until then, my suggestion to u, is to swap out that fender 25Rs speaker.

not too long ago, i picked up a B stock eminence rajun cajun, for my 25R.
(i matched ohms and covered wattage)
when i play cleans, it's sparkle reminds me of my blues junior. total added cost $40.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011