i just saw a video of some guy on this site playin some awesome fusion guitar, and i was like hell i need to try that shiz, so where do i start, i mainly play metal at the minute and i dont have much of a chord knowledge i know major, minor, phrygian, and pentatonic scales, how do i go about fusion? are there any chords specifically used in it or any characteristics that would sort me out? so yeah help help help.
Fusion is basically jazz played with electronic instruments and a few more modern touches.

Get into jazz, and all that comes with it.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
yeah that's the msot common (jazz) fusion. But if you play rock riffs with african percussion and flutes you get fusion too.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
what kind of chords/ chord shapes would be characteristic of the style, so general ones to get me started, not trying to to sound like a total dumbass.
Quote by ch715dallat
what kind of chords/ chord shapes would be characteristic of the style, so general ones to get me started, not trying to to sound like a total dumbass.

Extended chords, mostly major, minor and dominant 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths. There are others too, but these are the ones that are mainly used.

Belonging to each of these chords is a certain mode, for example a dominant chord would mean mixolydian mode of the note the chord is based on, with added emphasis to the chord tones, i.e. an arpeggio.

The jazz and subsequently jazz fusion sound is lots of extended chords with a lot of harmonic and melodic possibilities and following them closely, instead of a rock player who for example might stay in one scale or key for the entire duration of a track.

Have a look in the FAQ that's stickied in this subforum. It's not easy, you'll have to learn a lot of stuff before you know what you're doing.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Fusion is basicly any form of music mixed with jazz. So if you're a rock guy, you probably know a lot of rock riffs and such, so just listen to some jazz and try to incorporate both styles into your playing and then you have yourself some fusion.

Good fusion artist: Herbie Hancock
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Just for the record, fusion music can be bits of ANY type of music, not just jazz and something else.

Try and incoorporate many styles into one and you get guitar fusion.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Quote by Anarchy_Ant
Just for the record, fusion music can be bits of ANY type of music, not just jazz and something else.

Try and incoorporate many styles into one and you get guitar fusion.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about jazz fusion, which is what's generally meant on here and elsewhere when the word fusion is used in regards to music. Ofcourse, if you mean the dictionary definition it could be anything, which would be useless on here.

Click.
I've played a fusion piece on the guitar using techniques from metal playing and mixing them with african drums and other percussion instruments. This was classed as a fusion piece. =s. Nevermind though, i'm not trying to argue.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts