I was wondering if there were any good videos that would help with incorporating legato into your playing.
i wanna know what guitar players mean when they use the word legato. i came from a wind instrument background and was always taught that legato mean to keep your notes as long as possible without slurring.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
I don't know this sites policy on plugging or not. If you want to learn legato, you could buy John Petrucci's rock discipline. He does a good lesson on legato work, helped me a bit.
Legato is just clean playing with no gaps, no silence in between (I think).

A legato slide for example, is just a completely clean slide from one note to the next without picking the note again. Shredders use legato techniques a lot.

I'm not entirely sure if that's correct though, I'm a bit of a noob myself.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
I think legato for guitarists mainly means playing smooth; like using alot of hammer ons and pull offs, and not doing any noticeable picking.
We're only strays.
Legato is Italian for smooth. It means to have a smooth progression of notes, with no pauses. So basically what Trey Spruance said.

Hammer-on, pull-offs and slides are all legato techniques.
Here's a good exorcise.

e------------------------------------------------------------------1h3h5-
b------------------------------------------------1h3h5-------1h3h5-------
g-------------------------------1h3h5------1h3h5-------1h3h5-------------
d-------------1h3h5-------1h3h5-------1h3h5------------------------------
a-------1h3h5-------1h3h5------------------------------------------------
e-1h3h5------------------------------------------------------------------

And for all four fingers...

e-----------------------------------------------------------------------------1h3h4h6-
b---------------------------------------------------------1h3h4h6-------1h3h4h6-------
g-------------------------------------1h3h4h6------1h3h4h6-------1h3h4h6--------------
d----------------1h3h4h6-------1h3h4h6-------1h3h4h6----------------------------------
a---------1h3h4h6-------1h3h4h6-------------------------------------------------------
e-1h3h4h6-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just do them backwards for pull-offs. You can also slide between notes.

As always it's good to practice to a metronome, and make sure everything is clean. Open strings ringing are evil. Blame Satan for them.
do it with no gain full clean chan.
fingers must be most perpendicular possible and strings must be "hit" very hardly. michael romeo is good at legato take a look at his video
-Jackson KE-2 (made in 1985)
with dimarzio paf pro bridge evoltion neck

-ESP SV standard white

-digitech gnx 1

-audigy 2 zs :p
I don't have videos, but you can look at Steve Vai's playing; particulary For the Love of God. In the first verse, he uses a lot of slides. In the second verse, he changes them to bends. Pretty much the same notes, but made different with some legato.

Basically, come up with a little lick, or nick an existing one. Throw a few hammers or pull offs in there. Slide to a string. Change the lick so it works on one string; then hammer on, pull off, slide, only picking a few times. Get it smooth on one string, using legato.
I read somewhere on UG a great simile to remember when playing legato or picking every note.

Legato is like vowels and Picking is like consonants.

If you only use legato it's like someone going "OOOOOOAAAAAAEEEEEEEOOOOOO"
Picking every note is like someone rolling their tongue or going "tatatatatatatatatatatata"

Neither are very interesting to listen to by themselves, so remember that when you are incorporating legato into your playing.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I read somewhere on UG a great simile to remember when playing legato or picking every note.

Legato is like vowels and Picking is like consonants.

If you only use legato it's like someone going "OOOOOOAAAAAAEEEEEEEOOOOOO"
Picking every note is like someone rolling their tongue or going "tatatatatatatatatatatata"

Neither are very interesting to listen to by themselves, so remember that when you are incorporating legato into your playing.

that's almost exactly and literally how it works for wind instruments. the tounging is sharp and hard for standard notes "Ta Da Ka", when played legato it's more of a "La". no tounging at all is a slur.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
check into joe satriani, stuff like flying in a blue dream has AMAZING legato in it

also, the exercises given before are good, but, a much more useful way of using legato is on one string, so practice doing stuff like this, heres something i do, its short, easy, but SLOW IT DOWN first, practice it slow as hell, make sure EVERYTHING is even

on high e:

----5h7h8p7p5h8p7p5\3h5h7p3h5

incorperate sliding into your single string legato stuff like betwen the 5 and 3 there
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by Johnljones7443
That's possibly the worst way to go about it if you're trying to improve your legato technique - and the main reason a lot people find legato difficult.

This is one of my posts from a thread not too long ago which might help: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7376885&postcount=26

hmm maybe you re right its possible that i tell bs cause i learned myself but it s working pretty good.

-ESP SV standard white

-digitech gnx 1

Quote by Spamwise
how are you supposed to do a 1h3h5? quite a stretch

I found the 1h3h4h6 to be rather painful. But that means i gotta practice
Quote by EZLN libertad
check into joe satriani, stuff like flying in a blue dream has AMAZING legato in it

also, the exercises given before are good, but, a much more useful way of using legato is on one string, so practice doing stuff like this, heres something i do, its short, easy, but SLOW IT DOWN first, practice it slow as hell, make sure EVERYTHING is even

on high e:

----5h7h8p7p5h8p7p5\3h5h7p3h5

incorperate sliding into your single string legato stuff like betwen the 5 and 3 there

it s good for start but the real difficulty of legato is when you change strings.

-ESP SV standard white

-digitech gnx 1