Hey guys, I ordered my LTD MH400NT this weekend, and I'm going to save some money to buy a nice tube amp later on...but I'm still doubting wich one to pick

Engl Powerball
I heard they are great, good cleans, awesome gain,amazing sound, 4 channels, looks great,... but a guy recently told me that it's a very hard amp to get a good sound out, he said that if I'm not a tone-expert, I wont be able to get a good sound out of it...sow yeah...I can't play 'm because all the local guitarshops (I live in Belgium) don't own one and the don't deal Engl...

Peavey 6505
I heard the distortion is more darker than the Engl and the cleans aren't that great...but the guy that told me not to buy the Engl suggested to buy this one...

What do you guys think?
I play metalcore (Uneart, As I Lay Dying, Neaera, Heaven Shall Burn, ...) in dropped C

Thanks a lot!!
Here's an idea: play the damned things. I'm starting to know what people mean now when they say these threads get repetitive.

But seriously, do you know someone who owns one? That's the best, way better than playing one in a shop where you have to play quiet and the staff are usually knobs.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
For that stuff? The peavey.

But be a tone ***** and get a used block letter 5150 off the 'bay.

Quote by Kris_man
Here's an idea: play the ****ers. I'm starting to know what people mean now when they say these threads get repetitive.

But seriously, do you know someone who owns one? That's the best, way better than playing one in a shop where you have to play quiet and the staff are usually knobs.

I don't know about you, but there are zero ENGL's where I live. I can get the peavey, but still if you can't try both...

Either way, you should try to play on the Peavey...but again for that tone I can almost say 100% that the peavey would be better....
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Well, that guy you spoke to is very silly, sounds like he's just trying to turn you onto the 6505 seeing as he stocks that and not the Engl. The Powerball is amazing, it has that trademark Engl brightness to it and sounds quite compressed. IMO the 6505 is a lot more open sounding and yes is darker.

For that style of music exclusively i'd say go for the 6505 but the Engl can get those kind of tones (albeit not as close as the 6505 seeing as it's the generic melo-death/metalcore amp) while being a lot more versatile. If you have the money, i think the Powerball will be a good choice as it leaves you open to being able to get a good tone for plenty of other styles in the future.

In all seriousness though, you need to try both amps out, especially if you're spending a lot of money on a higher end piece of kit such as those amps.
Last edited by pity tha' foo' at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by pity tha' foo'
Well, that guy you spoke to is very silly, sounds like he's just trying to turn you onto the 6505 seeing as he stocks that and not the Engl. The Powerball is amazing, it has that trademark Engl brightness to it and sounds quite compressed. IMO the 6505 is a lot more open sounding and yes is darker.

For that style of music exclusively i'd say go for the 6505 but the Engl can get those kind of tones (albeit not as close as the 6505 seeing as it's the generic melo-death/metalcore amp) while being a lot more versatile. If you have the money, i think the Powerball will be a good choice as it leaves you open to being able to get a good tone for plenty of other styles in the future.

In all seriousness though, you need to try both amps out, especially if you're spending a lot of money on a higher end piece of kit such as those amps.

What??? Stock??? Dude...I'm an 18 year old kid...I don't stock/sell anything.

I like the powerball tone on some things, but for that metalcore the peavey will fit that tone better. He COULD get a Powerball, but since those tones are dark, metalcore is usually dark and chuggy, it would kind of be a waste. The Powerball is a GREAT amp, but for that...I'm sticking with the peavey.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Sorry, i assumed the guy the TS was talking about worked at a guitar shop or something.

I disagree, the Powerball can nail that metalcore type sound, it may be bright as with all Engl's, but that's not to say it can't get quite dark sounding when it needs to. It just depends how you EQ the thing. Having heard The Haunted and some other English metalcore band recently using Powerball's i was blown away by how brilliant they sounded.

That is, they had a brilliant 'chug a chug chug KERCHING KERCHING chug a chug' sound, which is how i'd speak metalcore.

However, let me emphasise that I just think the PB is a better buy as it is not a one trick pony. Buying the 6505 sort of leaves you with playing metal of one type or another and nothing else. Were you to be absolutely sure you are only ever going to play metalcore i'd say go 6505/5150. However, if you even dabble in other types of music i'd say go for the more diverse PB.
Last edited by pity tha' foo' at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by pity tha' foo'

+1

if anything, it's easier to get great tones out of an engl than a 5150. IMO.

also, lots of shops in germany stock engl, which is not too far away from you- a trip on the thalys (or whatever train) to koln would be worth it when you're thinking of spending that amount of money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?