I've been practicing the pentatonic minor and blues scales in the typical box movable patterns up and down the fret board. I came across a reference to the diagonal pentatonic scale as another way to move up and down. But I can't find the pattern anywhere...anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Before you dig out the pattern, have a go at working out some patterns for yourself - it's exactly the same notes, just played on different strings. Working it out will help you understand how you can expand the basic patterns you've already learned.

If you use the basic shape at the 5th fret, so A penatonic - the 7th fret on the D string is your octave, so what you can do is play the scale there too (you just have to shift up on fret on the B string to compensate for the different tuning interval). You can also play it from the 12 fret on the A string, again just compensating for the B string....you'll find that those 3 postitions share several notes, and all you need to do to connect them is find the notes in between that correspond with notes from your original pattern.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
as far as my knoledge goes, diagonal pentatonics, are something like this

|----------------------------------8-10-12----------------|
|---------------------------8-10-10----10-----------------|
|------------------5-7-5-7-9------------------------------|
|-------------5-7-7---------------------------------------|
|----3-5-3-5-7--------------------------------------------|
|-3-5-5---------------------------------------------------|
Last edited by deluxity at Feb 7, 2007,

---------------------------8-10-12--
----------------------8-[b]10[/b]----------
----------------5-7-9---------------
------------5-[b]7[/b]---------------------
------3-5-7-------------------------
--3-[b]5[/b]-------------------------------

That's the "diagonal" box for the A minor pentatonic scale, bold notes being the root. However, this is just a way to learn how to get around the fretboard. Remember that scales are made up of notes, not box patterns.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

---------------------------8-10-12--
----------------------8-[b]10[/b]----------
----------------5-7-9---------------
------------5-[b]7[/b]---------------------
------3-5-7-------------------------
--3-[b]5[/b]-------------------------------

That's the "diagonal" box for the A minor pentatonic scale, bold notes being the root. However, this is just a way to learn how to get around the fretboard. Remember that scales are made up of notes, not box patterns.

Well, actually that's only ONE type of diag pattern -- it's based on whole steps on each
string. There's actually another one for the same scale.

There's also 3 note per
string pentatonic diagonal patterns of which there would be 5 different ones per
scale. These can be used to really rip picking through a pent scale, but the
fingering is very advanced.

There's even more diag patterns than I've mentioned here.