Page 1 of 3
Yes. Its another "Do i suck thread?"

I never thought i'd sink to this level...

And the reason why I care is coz I wanna be a proffessional guitarist, and will do anything to be able to make a living off playing. Anyways.

The reason why i started to doubt myself, is coz i'm just getting into some shred and stuff like that. I've played for 1 year and 3 months.

So, i started off by wanting to learn glasgow kiss by John Petrucci. And i was simply stunned.

I mean, just the intro is pretty hard, and it took me ages to learn it.

Don't get me wrong: I've always considered myself a good guitarist. But this just stunned me.

I can mostly do any GnR stuff you throw at me, but this song was just so hard.

So what do you think?

Here's the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t25AOSxZZkI
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Its cuase my friend your not a real guitarist...

Anyone who plays an instrument never plays for the pure benfit of it, but plays cause they love to play, if you can make some side cash thats great...

People who wanna play to make money try to hard to learn stuff instead of being orignal and inventive... Thats your problem my friend you lack the skills to play cause your too focused on learning everything at once.... Take it a step at a time... Like say the next two years try to play the song again... Time is all I got to say...
Do you suck? Hello pot, this is the kettle. You're black.

I think anything by Petrucci is demanding enough to make anyone question their skillz. How do you want to make your living as a musician? Do you want to be a rock star? A weekly house/cover band? Studio musician? Busking? There are many different ways to make money with perhaps the least demanding musically being a rock star. I mean, if bands like Blink, Green Day, Pres of the USA, and the Pixies can be rock stars, clearly it doesn't take a guitar virtuoso.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I wanna be able to do anything. And i don't wanna be a star. And the reason i wanna be able to make a living off it is cuz i wanna do something i love all the time, 12 hours a day (duh!)

So im not content being green day skill level in other words.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Give yourself a break! You've only been playing for a little more than one year, that's not much.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
just give it time dude. I dont play pettrucii, been playing for nearly 4 years and i dont question my skills. I remember i was trying to learn Ravenous by Arch Enemy when i was just learning. practiced other stuff and came back to it and now i can play it perfectly.
I think your "too much looking at GnR" hasn't done you any good. Better get used to real Shred. Have a look at some Jason Becker or Yngwie Malmsteen.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
If you want to be a guitarist, stop learning other peoples songs. You should have been doing that one year ago. I've said this before to you I believe, but if you want to get ANYWHERE you're going to have to learn theory. Plain and simple. You're not going to become professional by covering other peoples tunes your whole life, you'll just keep playing in your bedroom.

Do you know the amount of theory Petrucci knows? Do you know how advanced his playing? He didn't do that by learning other peoples songs man.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
the best way to tell if you are good is if you write your own music and it doesnt suck
being able to play someone else stuff is just comparing yourself to someone elses style
be unique with your guitar work
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Do you expect to instantly be at the level of Petrucci? You have to work your ****ing ass off to build your technique. It doesn't come fast, anyone that tells you otherwise obviously doesn't have much control of their instrument.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
Don't sweat it man Petrucci is well established as a very technical player, you're never gonna learn one of his songs in 5 minutes

and what sadistic monkey said is also very true
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
well, to be fair, you havent been playing for very long at all.
not trying to be big headed, but i've been playing for about 2 1/2 years, and all my friends think i'm great (yeah right!) but i'm nowhere near that standard of playing. dont be too ambitious. just take it slowly. maybe build it up with some easier stuff first. dont just jump into shred. and try to increase your knowledge of the scales, then if you foinnd something too hrad, you can just improv around it, which is what you should do anyway. copying something note for note is dull. anyone could do that eventually. imo, improv is what makes a good guitarist.
You can't play a song by Petrucci after just over one year, obviously you must suck Seriously, grow up. Not to mention, learning to play other peoples songs is pretty much useless.

"will do anything to be able to make a living off playing."
Anything?
Your technique on a guitar doesn't get you anywhere. People would prefer to hear some nice simple songs with a few tasty pentatonic pieces here and there than an entire shred/instrumental, hence why guys like Vai/Gilbert don't get as much recognition as they deserve.

If you want to make it big, you have to have an image and basically be able to sell yourself as a product to the music industry. If, however, you want to do it for the music you have to be original and have passion for what you're doing, not imitating other people and doing cover songs. Write your own material.

As someone already said, theres many different jobs within music, but honestly, the chances of you becoming a 'rock star', especially in this day and age is ridiculously low. You're best off getting to a level where you can write your own material, form a band and gig locally.
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
Its cuase my friend your not a real guitarist...

Anyone who plays an instrument never plays for the pure benfit of it, but plays cause they love to play, if you can make some side cash thats great...

People who wanna play to make money try to hard to learn stuff instead of being orignal and inventive... Thats your problem my friend you lack the skills to play cause your too focused on learning everything at once.... Take it a step at a time... Like say the next two years try to play the song again... Time is all I got to say...

He's right. There's no way you are going to be a great guitarist if you're only in it for monetary gain and fame.
Free your mind
Dude.
I have been playing for nearly three years, and I can't shred.
1 year 3 months! Shred? Please..
You are aiming waaay to high, if you are talented then fine.
But don't try to shred yet, it's hard.
Learn to walk before you learn to run.
JoNo
xXx
This is a guy that's been playing guitar for nearly all of his life, practising almost every minute he can possibly get He's coming up on 40 as far as I know. You've been playing for a tiny fraction of how long he's been playing. Think about that.
Quote by Thetabifier
baarmy sheep,one word=indeed

glad someone shares my opinion. too many people think a great guitarist is fast, but that's all wrong. originality is what it's all about.
Quote by madmk
Your technique on a guitar doesn't get you anywhere. People would prefer to hear some nice simple songs with a few tasty pentatonic pieces here and there than an entire shred/instrumental, hence why guys like Vai/Gilbert don't get as much recognition as they deserve.

If you want to make it big, you have to have an image and basically be able to sell yourself as a product to the music industry. If, however, you want to do it for the music you have to be original and have passion for what you're doing, not imitating other people and doing cover songs. Write your own material.

As someone already said, theres many different jobs within music, but honestly, the chances of you becoming a 'rock star', especially in this day and age is ridiculously low. You're best off getting to a level where you can write your own material, form a band and gig locally.

People like Petrucci are taking music forward. Whilst people like you may stick to playing want people what to hear - pentatonic licks in 4/4, there are people that want to do something above that. Many of todays popular music wouldn't have been accepted 20 years ago - and I see peoples ears evolving in the future and many of the more underground styles gaining popularity. I'm not talking about fast guitar playing, as that is mostly listened to by musicians and is sometimes approaching more of a guitar sport than music, but rather those people that have advanced concepts of harmony and timings. They understand how to evoke feelings with their playing, not make people go "wow, that's really fast!"

Also, a lot of the best music is thought up of in the mind before it's played. Having the technical talent gives you the tools to play whatever is there. Music is getting far too mechanical now. People start with a scale and wank, before sitting and thinking of a good motif. By all start with a scale in a solo, but concentrate on phrasing, arpeggios (not sweeps) and modulation for goodness sakes.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
Last edited by Daggorath at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
glad someone shares my opinion. too many people think a great guitarist is fast, but that's all wrong. originality is what it's all about.

Ever heard of an original guitarist that has the ability to play fast, or shred?
No matter how original the shit is, it doesn't do it for me if a player can't hit a few fast runs every so often, if they can't then I must be 1 better than them and I wouldn't be able to stand that. Original with no speed? No thanks.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
Ever heard of an original guitarist that has the ability to play fast, or shred?
No matter how original the shit is, it doesn't do it for me if a player can't hit a few fast runs every so often, if they can't then I must be 1 better than them and I wouldn't be able to stand that. Original with no speed? No thanks.

well what i meant by original is not just covering songs note for note. bit of improv now and again wouldnt hurt. like, did anyone see angels and airwaves covering the cover of "wonderful world" by the ramones at the windows vista launch? they copied it note for note (as far as possible - tom's singing is shocking). they couldve at least modified it a bit.
Quote by Guitar-freak
Yes. Its another "Do i suck thread?"

I never thought i'd sink to this level...

And the reason why I care is coz I wanna be a proffessional guitarist, and will do anything to be able to make a living off playing. Anyways.

The reason why i started to doubt myself, is coz i'm just getting into some shred and stuff like that. I've played for 1 year and 3 months.

So, i started off by wanting to learn glasgow kiss by John Petrucci. And i was simply stunned.

I mean, just the intro is pretty hard, and it took me ages to learn it.

Don't get me wrong: I've always considered myself a good guitarist. But this just stunned me.

I can mostly do any GnR stuff you throw at me, but this song was just so hard.

So what do you think?

Here's the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t25AOSxZZkI

i think it's hard because john petrucci has played for at least 20 years, 6 hours a day (i've heard that on some of his interviews), he can play that easily because he has mastered his technique, ou've been playing for 1 year and 3 months and you want to play glasgow kiss (which is really hard)

if it's hard to you, just practice, nobody borns being a guitar virtuoso, it takes time to learn any hard activity
It took me 3 years to start playing Malmsteen, and I could still not even play in the same country as him.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
You don't suck. You've learned a part of a pettrucci song and you haven't been playing long at all....just keep going, your average player isn't better than that at this stage. If you don't already, get a teacher.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
How funny. Have just played Glasgow Kiss today for my AS performance. Dude, the truth is, you're gonna suck more if you keep thinking so negatively. John Petrucci in a year and 3 months. You're quite simply going to need a metronome. But just remember. The only boundary you have as a guitarist is yourself.
Thanks for reading
You can't complain because of finding Petrucci hard after playing a year. Hell, you look at Petrucci's work over the years and you can see his technical improvement over what was already an acomplished player.

You won't be reaching your own talent levels and barriers for years, so just keep playing and developing. If everyone gave up just because there was someone better (who'd played for 20 times as long), then none of us would be playing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Playing just over a year is nothing, you've only just started. Forget about being a professional musician for the time being and just worry about learning how to play, the more you build something up ahead of time the more likely you are to fail at it. Forget shredding too, the most important thing for you to be doing at this stage in your development is learning how the instrument works. That doesn't mean you need to be able to sightread notation, you can get by without that. But you do need to be able to find a G chord if someone tells you to, or bluff your way through a solo in whatever key you're in. you also want to understand how chords are formed and where the notes lie on the fretboard, and ultimately how chords and scales are the same thing.

Once all that kind of stuff starts to sink in the guitar becomes a lot less complicated and also a lot more coherent. your phrasing is important too, knowing how to play something and how to vary it to keep it interesting. I'm get bored playing rhythm, and also my hand can cramp up if I play too many barre chords, so I mix things up...I know that if the song says to play a G chord there's 30-odd things I could do, from standard open chords to barre chords, 2 & 3 note inversions, octaves and drone strings etc.

Too many people spend all their time worrying about what they can't do rather than congratulating themselves for what they can.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by AlGeeEater
If you want to be a guitarist, stop learning other peoples songs. You should have been doing that one year ago. I've said this before to you I believe, but if you want to get ANYWHERE you're going to have to learn theory. Plain and simple. You're not going to become professional by covering other peoples tunes your whole life, you'll just keep playing in your bedroom.

Do you know the amount of theory Petrucci knows? Do you know how advanced his playing? He didn't do that by learning other peoples songs man.

Chris

Actually he did, at least at the beggining.

He should've stopped learning other people's songs after he'd been playing for three months? It's NOT a waste of time to learn other people's songs, that's how you learn how a song is written and come to understand how music works. I would say the exact opposite, to try to learn as many different songs by as many different people as possible.

Learning theory is great but it's not for everybody and it's certainly not a prerequisite for becoming a professional rock musician. If you want to write and perform music like Petrucci you obviously need the theory but Dream Theatre is not your typical rock band. There are literally thousands of professional rock musicians out there with little or no formal training. Is learning theory a good idea? Of course. Will it make you a better musician? Absolutely. But to say that you can't get anywhere without learning theory? That's just not true unless you're playing jazz, classical or ultra-technical metal. Don't discount the value of learning other people's music, theory without a knowledge of how songs are written is not a good recipe for success. If you look at the beginnings of most legendary players--- Page, Hendrix, Hetfield, whoever--- they all started off imitating the bands they liked and learning their songs. Even Petrucci spent his first few years learning Sabbath, Rush, Dixie Dregs songs before he started his formal schooling.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Feb 7, 2007,
this kinda goes for anything, guitar, bass, drums.. baseball players.. BUT

no matter how long you've been playing, you will have periods in which you doubt yourself.

I've been playing for about 12 years and i still come across people who've been playing for less than I have whom i feel are better than me :S

but you also have to realize that its not a contest. Just do what you love and it'll come out the way you hear it in your head.

Also, by only learning other peoples songs and riffs.. you're only going to be as good as they are, and find yourself unable to surpass them. You're only as good as your strongest weapon!
your first problem is you care if you can play someone elses music...playing songs by other people is proven to be the worst way to learn oyu should accually be learning not "shredding" i mean no real guitarist "shreds" shredding is random guitar soloing and you dont know what the hell your doing. The guys that "shred" put alot more into playing that then you think all i can say to you is THEORY THEORY THEORY!!!! learn and then play
Well, don't expect to be playing like one of the most popular shredders after only a year. Its good to set goals, but not unrealistic ones.
Quote by hendrixrocks4
your first problem is you care if you can play someone elses music...playing songs by other people is proven to be the worst way to learn oyu should accually be learning not "shredding" i mean no real guitarist "shreds" shredding is random guitar soloing and you dont know what the hell your doing. The guys that "shred" put alot more into playing that then you think all i can say to you is THEORY THEORY THEORY!!!! learn and then play

No offense but I really think you "theory theory theory" guys should get down off your high horse. One of the great things about playing music is that there isn't only one way to go about it. Where has it been "proven" that learning other people's songs is the worst way to learn? Name me any major player who didn't start off by learning the songs of the artists he loved.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
fatgraymatt - The threadstarter stated he wanted to be a professional guitarist, not a professional rock musician. You're not going to be considered professional if you don't even know how to jam in a certain key. He could have easily learned how songs where written within his first 4 months of playing, I know I did. I started learning theory 6 months after first playing guitar (mainly because I was learning piano at the time and they both clicked together).

Legendary players such as Page, Hendrix & Hetfield? Yeah, maybe famous but not ledgendary. Hendrix played what he knew, the blues. That was it. He had no formal training, and look at what he played, one style of music. Page played rock, that's about it. Hetfield plays metal ,that's it. They're not exactly professional, they're just really good at what they do. Professional guitarists are versatile & can play ANYTHING.

Although, I never said 'Don't learn anybody elses music ever!?>!@2'. Everybody started learning other peoples tunes, the only way to create is to listen to other peoples tunes. Theory is a lot more important than learning a whole bunch of songs. If you learn theory, you don't have to learn other guys tunes to create.

Try learning some theory dude, drop the cover band & play original tunes.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I think you have your own definitions for certain words. "Professional" simply means that you make your living playing music, or at least part of your living. Hell, it really just means that you get paid. And if Hendrix and Page aren't legendary players... What can I say? Who is then?
"Theory is a lot more important than learning a whole bunch of songs". That's simply your opinion, man. I disagree. Learning theory is fantastic but not very many people become great songwriters from theory alone.
The first song I've learnt is Canon rock, to be honest I dont find it that hard to play. Obviously I cant play it too well yet, and only at about .50 the speed of hardened veterans, but as a beginner I'm pretty well chuffed to be quite honest.

What I do find really hard to play, however, are Jack Johnson songs, songs that sound kind of like that. They never coume out sounding 'right' to me. (Any tips btw anyone, I didnt want to make a new thread! )

Anyway, my point is that we all have our strengths and weaknesses, while you may not be good at playing one song, you might have fantastic ability at playing another, and with a little bit of work you can always get good with practice and the right attitude.
Page 1 of 3