OK, ive never done a custom re build in my life before.
But i know a fair bit about guitars.

Ive got a chance to get a Squier for 20£-30£ thats like $38.

Ok, so I just want it to mess around on, and see how it turns out.

I know the grain on them is not that great. But i was thinking of sanding it down.
Use (RED) wood dye/oil or something (so that i still can see the grain) then gloss it over the top.
Change the pups and neck ect:

A bit like this guys- https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502368&page=1&pp=20

Should i go for it?

Bring your minds here xD about the re build colours ect:

thanks

-Ibanezn00b
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

Ok, we can all agree that the stock pickups on squiers are pretty bad. and you really wanna fool around with it to try to see how good we can get this squire, I think its a good idea, you should just buy some mid priced parts though. Like some guitar fetish stuff. There stuf I know isnt the best, but I think its perfect for what you want to do. Because you dont wanna spend like $300-$400 on this squire yet you dont wanna buy the cheapest parts cuz that will only bring you back to where the squire was before. And for a neck, mighty mite will do, its already finished, so that's one step you cant screw up on. You can pick one off ebay for about $90 USD? not sure lol. Ive seen them for that though. For pickups Guitarfetish has some very good pickup, ive pretty much heard nothing but good. and for paint, if you wanna do natural, you can try to spraypaint with Minwax Fast drying poly urethane in a spray can. I dont know if you have it there but at our local hardware stores (in Canada) we get it for about $8.50 a can. I havent started using them yet, but I heard its better then the Duplicolor acrylic lacquer. Anyways good luck. I hope that helped. feel free to ask any questions!
eh, just found out that its chipborad/ply should i still mess around with it, i no i will not be able to stain it now but still?
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

Quote by Thewongster
Ok, we can all agree that the stock pickups on squiers are pretty bad. and you really wanna fool around with it to try to see how good we can get this squire, I think its a good idea, you should just buy some mid priced parts though. Like some guitar fetish stuff. There stuf I know isnt the best, but I think its perfect for what you want to do. Because you dont wanna spend like $300-$400 on this squire yet you dont wanna buy the cheapest parts cuz that will only bring you back to where the squire was before. And for a neck, mighty mite will do, its already finished, so that's one step you cant screw up on. You can pick one off ebay for about $90 USD? not sure lol. Ive seen them for that though. For pickups Guitarfetish has some very good pickup, ive pretty much heard nothing but good. and for paint, if you wanna do natural, you can try to spraypaint with Minwax Fast drying poly urethane in a spray can. I dont know if you have it there but at our local hardware stores (in Canada) we get it for about $8.50 a can. I havent started using them yet, but I heard its better then the Duplicolor acrylic lacquer. Anyways good luck. I hope that helped. feel free to ask any questions!

yea i keeping to a small buget cuz its my first, like 100-150 or so£ talked to my freind in a local shop he said they use car spray paint so hehe^-^ ooke!
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

I didn't know Squier made guitars with that wood.. mine just so happens to be alder =]. As for electronics, I'd say upgrade all of it, which is what I did. But if you are having second thoughts since its chipboard/ply, its up to you. All I know is my strat (the one you linked in the first post) turned out really sweet. Sounds WAYYY better than the Fender standards and the Anniversary one.
I'd say no. Pllywood guitars feel like children's toys
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
yays! bump xD
UPDATE-
Just got a diffrent body of evilbay for £30 its hardwood alder, (better than ply)
But i only could get him to give me the trem system with it so o well.

Still trying to keep to a small buget o
Anyone suggest what type of pickups and pots or it?
o and where from

(iam from uk)
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

Go check out Guitarfetish. I ordered the cheapest pickups for my pos strat-like thing and they sound.. well almost amazing.. They were in the Clearance section and I got the 3 of them for like 15USD. And shippment to Europe is pretty cheap (I live in Switzerland).
I also got three pots and resistors from him. The only problem I had was that the pots are too big for the second tone so I had to get another from my local store.
--Whistler
I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

-Edmund, Blackadder
cool, i'm looking at the shop now, I'm a bit worried about the doing to wireing myself,
And they do pre wired stuff (pickguard,pickups,pots) seem kinda cheap anyone know how good they are?
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

For the price, go for it. A bunch of modders here have been satisfied overall, as in I've never read about a bad experience with them.

Consider buying a cheap soldering iron kit from RadioShack, about $8 complete. After 2 days of practicing, you'll get competent enough to solder basic stuff like PUs and pots.

For the finishing job, go read ReRanch 101 - Finishing Basics.

You can also go to Project Guitar Tutorials for refinishing and other stuff.

Or maybe, do some wild paintjob.

Quote by Ippon
For the price, go for it. A bunch of modders here have been satisfied overall, as in I've never read about a bad experience with them.

Consider buying a cheap soldering iron kit from RadioShack, about $8 complete. After 2 days of practicing, you'll get competent enough to solder basic stuff like PUs and pots.

For the finishing job, go read ReRanch 101 - Finishing Basics.

You can also go to Project Guitar Tutorials for refinishing and other stuff.

Or maybe, do some wild paintjob.

cool thx!
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

how about some swineshead pickups?
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join