To be honest, I was never really tracking his career in the first place. But I remember hearing him years back, when he was playin the blues, and I thought he was pretty smokin. But last night I popped in the Crossroads Festival DVD to finish watching the sets I hadn't seen, and I was absolutley appalled at how bad this guy is now.

There was nothing especially wrong with his guitar chops, but the song he played was just horrid. The only thing worse than the song itself was his voice. I have never heard someone sing that bad. Some of the words I couldnt even make out... it was just incoherrent mumbling.

So what the hell happened to this guy?
I saw him about two years ago In Atlanta on an acoustic tour. I thought he was awsome. I haven't heard much about him lately. Seems like he just faded away.
Didn't he just put out a new album in 2006? My dad bought it a few days ago. Apparently he's still around.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I didnt mean "what happened to him" as in "where did he go?"..

I meant to say: When did he stop playing the blues and completely lose his singing voice? Can someone who owns the Crossroads Festival DVD please confirm that his performance is quite terrible? Basically thats all I'm judging by here.
I didn't enjoy the Crossroads performance, but I'm not going to judge him by that. His voice sounded like he had water in his mouth. I liked the track he did with Buddy Guy, though. His voice sounds much less "slobbery" and controlled.
^His song with Buddy Guy was great. I have his first two albums and I think their both great but lately he has gone down hill.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Maybe he was drunk

His scat vocals are amazing.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
His Crossroads performance was very "emotional".

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
I just watched some recent videos of him on youtube. I may be alone on this one, but I think his voice is terrible. I cant believe he isnt embarassed to be singing like that in front of people. And the faces... wow. Its like John Mayer sitting on the toilet.
His CD 'Lie To Me' was absolutely incredible, and he recorded it when he was 18.
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
Maybe him and John Mayer are polar opposites. So while one plays the blues, the other must play godawful pop.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
never heard of him before, i think i had always skipped that track when i watched the DVD before. so i gave it a listen - not my thing at all, and it was a bit disturbing watching the spittle flying out of his mouth. but, his telecaster was cool.

on the subject of bad tracks on the crossroads DVD, the robert randolph track gets my vote for most boring track.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Bloody hell - I completely forgot about Johnny Lang...

And I agree with TUMFP - I thought Robert Randolph was brilliant on the Crossroads DVD. One of my favourite songs on the DVD, actually.

Most boring track on it: Vishwa Mohan Bhatt - first track on the 2nd disc. Not my thing, really..
Quote by holybassbatman!
Most people on UG are teenage boys who think that the only way they can assert their 'dominancy' is by making others feel low and bossing them around. More than likely in real life they are subject to bullying.
True?

Quote by TheDev01dOne
Revive an old thread? Sounds fun...

I've never heard of him before I seen the Crossroads DVD, I don't think it was that bad. At least he gets into his songs. He has the sexiest guitars though.

Dude his tele is hideous!

The song he played sucked though so generic, the solo was cool though. I thought he sang weird too.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Yeah the indian dude was rather boring, but that Randolph pedal steel song goes for like 8 minutes it is realllly boring.

Seriously? Bhatt was insane. He is incredibly innovative. O well, difference in opinon, can't really change that.
From what I've heard...

He is playing on the new Hanson cd...soooo.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
basically this is what happened. he was 14, people told him what songs to play, and he played them. now hes in his 20's, hes writing his own music, and it really is great, its just not blues. check out the songs he does on willie nelsons "milk cow blues" cd. he really is a good singer
Quote by stratvoodoo
basically this is what happened. he was 14, people told him what songs to play, and he played them. now hes in his 20's, hes writing his own music, and it really is great, its just not blues. check out the songs he does on willie nelsons "milk cow blues" cd. he really is a good singer

So lets get this straight..

When he was 14, he played the music that is most removed from the mainstream because "people" told him to?

And now he's in his 20s, free from outside creative control, and he chooses to play radio-friendly pop?

I think you got it backwards. You dont know too much about the music industry, eh?
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
So lets get this straight..

When he was 14, he played the music that is most removed from the mainstream because "people" told him to?

And now he's in his 20s, free from outside creative control, and he chooses to play radio-friendly pop?

I think you got it backwards. You dont know too much about the music industry, eh?

actually what i said is exactly what happened.
i think you got it backwards. you dont know too much about jonny lang, eh?
you are free to do a little research about him if you want.
you know, if you want to prove me right.
Quote by stratvoodoo
actually what i said is exactly what happened.
i think you got it backwards. you dont know too much about jonny lang, eh?
you are free to do a little research about him if you want.
you know, if you want to prove me right.

Well then I dont need research to prove what I already suspected: Jonny Lang has no integrity and is a complete tool for ditching the blues to play disney-pop to 11 year old girls.

REAL musicians dont play music because someone tells them to, or switch formats to gain popularity. So either he was really into the blues and sold out to play pop, or he let people tell him what to play in the beginning and they controlled his music. So either way he's fake as hell.
Last edited by SuburbanCowboy at Jun 5, 2007,
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
Well then I dont need research to prove what I already suspected: Jonny Lang has no integrity and is a complete tool for ditching the blues to play disney-pop to 11 year old girls.

REAL musicians dont play music because someone tells them to, or switch formats to gain popularity. So either he was really into the blues and sold out to play pop, or he let people tell him what to play in the beginning and they controlled his music. So either way he's fake as hell.

ummmm, i dont think he switched to gain popularity. he loves blues music, but when he writes music, he doesnt write blues music. his frst album, jonny lang and the big bang, was recored when he was 14. thats quite young. its all blues covers. his breakout album, lie to me, was recorded when he was 16, it was all blues songs, some covers and some that were written for him. his next album, wander this world, starts to show him progressing into other types of music, and he begins to start writing on it. it still has some blues songs, but also shows his funk, RnB, and pop/rock side. his next album, long time coming, is his firast where he is the main songwriter. and it is clear that he isnt really a blues songwriter. now, on his latest album, which i happen to love, is a gospel record. there are some really great songs on it. now think back to when you were 14 and now. do you only listen to the music oyu did then?

REAL musicians allow themselves to grow.
Say whatever you will.

Someone who rides the blues to fame then sings pop to little girls on the Disney Channel is a heartless sellout and a disgrace to the music that I love.
what happened to him? you saw him live. thats what happened. he sucks live.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

I am from Fargo and saw Jonny play at the good old Playmakers Sports bar when he first started.
It was great seeing him climb the ladder to elite status as a recording artist. He has unbelievable talent. Unfortunately, it has been disappointing watching his exodus from the blues scene. The man has the talent to truly be one of the best blues musicians of the last 50 years. He says changing his musical interests have been a result of a life changing experience. I have purchased 2 of his last 3 albums, and let's just call a spade a spade....they are "god"awful. Instead of selling his soul to the devil to be one of the greatest bluesmen ever, it would appear he opted for the superficial arena of gospel/music stardom.