Hello guys. I'm new here so most of u probably don't know me. I just whant to ask if I progress well in your opinion - I've been playing for 5 weeks (got the guitar on new years eve) and I can play some easy songs, like sweet dreams by marylin manson, smoke on the water, smells like teen spirit, kryptonite by 3dd (ecxept the chords on the acoustic - can't keep the tempo) and joe satriani's super colossal (ecxept the solo) but it seemes like these pieces are way too simple and I don't even know a sh*t about scales yet.
So I wonder if I'm way behind the stage I should be for the time I'm playing, or if I'm progressing normal.

Thanks in advance
Well, I would say that everyone has their own progress speed. for 5 weeks, what you can play is not too bad. however, if you want to go through a fast learning curve, i would recomment getting lessons.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
just check out the lessons section man, theres all kinds of stuff for beginners. Not bad for 5 weeks tho, keep it up.
Gear

ESP EC1000 Deluxe
Modded Fender Strat w/EMG 81
Schecter Hellraiser
Marshall Mode 4 Stack (For Sale)
Blue/Chrome Krank Revolution Stack

Check out my band?
Thanks ppl. But are scales and theory that important, to learn guitar ?
For 5 weeks you're pretty good, seems you're like me, and have gone through a fast learning curve. Just make sure you're not making any bad habbits, etc, or you're playing will suck a bit.
Thanks ppl. But are scales and theory that important, to learn guitar ?

Yes, but not after five weeks.

Scales are important if you ever want to play lead, and knowing the chords is important if you want to play rhythm. Knowing both is good if you don't want to limit yourself.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
Quote by CyAC
Hello guys. I'm new here so most of u probably don't know me. I just whant to ask if I progress well in your opinion - I've been playing for 5 weeks (got the guitar on new years eve) and I can play some easy songs, like sweet dreams by marylin manson, smoke on the water, smells like teen spirit, kryptonite by 3dd (ecxept the chords on the acoustic - can't keep the tempo) and joe satriani's super colossal (ecxept the solo) but it seemes like these pieces are way too simple and I don't even know a sh*t about scales yet.
So I wonder if I'm way behind the stage I should be for the time I'm playing, or if I'm progressing normal.

Thanks in advance

go at your own speed it doesnt matter what others around you are doing

I'd say your doing good just keep learning new songs and practice and learn the major and minor penatonic scales to begin with practice those till you can run thru them with ease then start using them for your own improvised solos..
and challenge yourself
5 weeks is nothing...if you are still at the same point in 5 years then something is wrong =)
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Quote by digimon go!
go at your own speed it doesnt matter what others around you are doing

I'd say your doing good just keep learning new songs and practice and learn the major and minor penatonic scales to begin with practice those till you can run thru them with ease then start using them for your own improvised solos..
and challenge yourself

Sorry for the silly question, but how should i run the scales?? I know only that a scale is a load of different notes/frets on the fretboard and that each scale has differrent pattern of notes.. but i don't know what to do - just memorise the notes of each scale?