im starting to learn some musical theory and such, and was curious on any tips on how to play hardcore, metalcore kinds of music.

I know metalcore is alot of scales and riffs, are there any scales or categories of scales in paticular i should learn/test out (ex. August Burns Red, Between the Buried and Me)

Also in hardcore music there's often alot of sweet sounding noises. I only know now how to do them by playing notes 1/2 step apart (G# and A together) and pitch harmonics. I've gotten both of these down, but what other notes are more hardcore. By hardcore noises i mean stuff that you hear in Norma Jean and bands like that, i know most of it is by playing notes that are a half step apart (dont know how else to explain it), but is there anything else that's used alot that im missing.

now i wait for the stupid responses and spam post, thanks in advance for anyone who achually does help out
This wouldn't be learning hardcore, this would be learning complicated metalcore/almost tech-metal.

Biiiiiig difference.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
im pretty noob can you elaborate on doubles?
what kind of ugly chords?
and i kinda consider alot of heavy music hardcore, and it's all pretty good
^Yes. The tech metal stuff he's trying to talk about is all about weird ass time signatures and such.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
anything that could help me with wierd time signatures. Im experimenting with stuff in guitarpro on different time signatures and stuff, anything else?
try stuff that u wouldnt think to try, also briung in shit from other genres and sorta make it sound hardcore.
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Real hardcore:

1.) Take a note.
2.) Find the fifth.
3.) Find the octave of the root.
4.) Play.

BTBAM/August Burns Red:

1.) Take a note.
2.) Find the fifth.
3.) Flat it, play a wholetone scale starting a minor third from that note, and harmonize it with sweep-picked diminished scales over alt-picked runs and polythymed triplets.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
the best way to find the noises you want is to experiment with chord structure, I've found some pretty cool sounds myself just doing that

as for the scales and stuff learn alot and just throw a progression based on those together
just learn songs by the artists you want to build around and sorta borrow their ideas
Quote by fbtmof
just learn songs by the artists you want to build around and sorta borrow their ideas

Thats why every new band sounds exactly the same as every other band.
you dont write hardcore, you pound on ur guitar, and the rest comes. No thats not true, actually............

btw can anyone elaborate on the music theory stuff mentioned earlier? Or at least theory in a nutshell? That would be very much appreciated, and ill blow any1 who tells me asa reward.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Technical farts in odd time signatures?

WTF do you eat?

Quote by metabolicmaggot
Wow these answers scare me....I've swallowed some of that suff....I need a shower.
Quote by Cedence
I think it's stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium. Those bands are so sweet.

You forgot Atreyu and As I Lay Dying? They invented hardcore and screaming.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
This is a pretty brutal chord. The Acacia Strain uses them alot:

D----------------
A----------------
F----------------
C---------------
G--0-----------
C--1-----------
P.M

OR in Standard Tuning

D----------------
A----------------
F----------------
C---------------
G--2-----------
C--1-----------
P.M.

It also helps tuning down to like B or A#
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
Last edited by guitarwannabe16 at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by fbtmof

Don't borrow their ideas necessarily, just look for common recurring patterns or progressions and try to implement them in your music. The place to be truly inventive is in the rhythms you use and in a chord's tone
Quote by SilentSpectacle
You forgot Atreyu and As I Lay Dying? They invented hardcore and screaming.

Quote by Cedence
I think it's stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium. Those bands are so sweet.

please.

please!

PLEASE

tell me you are joking!!!
They are. They're both regulars here.

I lold.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
lurn 2 sw33p1!

Power chords and 0's, the two most expressive tools a guitarist can use!
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
e-------------
b--4----10----
g--7----13----
d--------------
a--------------
D--------------

theres a couple "ugly" chords

heres some others to try

e------------------
b------------------
g--9---5---------
d--8---4--------
a--7---3--------
D-----------------

Mess around with some odd rhythms with open D5 chord for breakdown type stuff

as for BTBAM type stuff use chromatic, whole tone, harmonic minor scales to get riffs from, and use unorthodox timing. Ya gotta feel it, like jazz, if you really want it to click. Don't become ANOTHER carbon copy. Play what you feel, not what they feel
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Remember, when you're not sure what to play, play this:

e------------------------------------
b------------------------------------
g------------------------------------
d-0-0-0--0--0--0-0-0--0--0-----
a-0-0-0--0--0--0-0-0--0--0-----
D-0-0-0--0--0--0-0-0--0--0-----
Quote by guitarwannabe16
They are. They're both regulars here.

I lold.

oh. god thank you.

ny ways, the post above me ^^

totally right, thats what i do when im bored.

lmao
Quote by STABxYOU
Remember, when you're not sure what to play, play this:

e------------------------------------
b------------------------------------
g------------------------------------
d-0-0-0--0--0--0-0-0--0--0-----
a-0-0-0--0--0--0-0-0--0--0-----
D-0-0-0--0--0--0-0-0--0--0-----

br4k3d0wnz n3v3r f41L
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Inverted fifths.
Anything dissonant.
Really fast.
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
Got some good lols out of this thread. My advice to you is: refrain from using breakdowns, don't copy other bands, create something new and original that we haven't heard before, come up with your own style. Good luck.
-Zach
Quote by SilentSpectacle
br4k3d0wnz n3v3r f41L

lmao

sigged.

breakdowns make little poseurs think they're ninjas.

its funny to watch.
Quote by original=punk
please.

please!

PLEASE

tell me you are joking!!!

i think im going to sig this
Quote by raise_the_dead
Technical farts in odd time signatures?

WTF do you eat?

Quote by metabolicmaggot
Wow these answers scare me....I've swallowed some of that suff....I need a shower.
Remember, it's not always about how technical you can get, but the overall quality of the music. (Progressions, tempos, lyrics etc.). And be original. The world doesnt need another mediocre Killswitch-type band.
lmao i got sigged.

and yeah, writing good hardcore would be like...short punk rawk songs.
but faster, and, like, hardcore.

metalcore, be like, fast, meal, and....sweep.

and of course, breakdowns, Breakdowns, BREAKDOWNS!
thats weired, when i think of hardcore, i just think of fast drums, maybe a few d-beats, and just really fast power chords.