Hi guys,

I'm a total novice when it comes to guitars. It's something I've always wanted to tryout, but I'm scared of spending too much incase i don't like it OR i get the wrong one. I've read the thread "The Ultimate Electric Guitar Info Sticky- READ THIS BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD!"

What I'd like to know is, are their any cheap beginners kits for electric guitar? If so, could you please point me in the right direction because I'd surely buy one. If i find I'm enjoying it and progressing, I'll then go and buy a decent guitar and amp.

Ideally I'm looking for a guitar, amp, strap and stand in the starter kit. I also realise lots of you may thing this is a waste of money, but I'd rather test the waters before diving in.

Thanks in advance guys (& gals)!
All the kits are pretty much the same, but you won't find anything cheaper than this

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/91385

They aren't fantastic, obviously, but they're perfectly good to start on if youy don't know if you'll take to it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Wow, i'm shocked at the price - I thought it'd be much more expensive.
Thanks for the link.
Paul 'Johno' Johnson
Electric Guitar Novice
**** that's cheap! I had to pay at least 6 times as much for my first axe n' amp...and they were pretty much the cheapest ones in the store!

Anyway, here's a list

GOOD BEGINNER'S GUITARS
-Yamaha Pacifica 112
-Ibanez GSA60
-Squier Standard Stratocaster
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (costs a bit more, but is awesome for classic rock)

GOOD BEGINNER'S AMPS
-Roland Cubes
-Vox Valvetronix
-Fender G-Dec (I found it hard to use...but it's amazing)
Quote by Johno_UK
Thanks for the link.

yea there ok I bought one for 10 yo learning to play, but there strings are awful replace them as soon as.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
You can pay up to £200 for a starter kit, £50 is ridiculously cheap - I don't think the music shops in Liverpool will have anything for less than £120 and they're essentially the same thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I would recommend an Epiphone SG Special or Les Paul Special starter kit. I say this because they are really great guitars at a bargain price and they come with everything except the a stand (pocket change will get you a decent stand). Otherwise, you get the guitar, gigbag, amp, picks, digital tuner, and a strap. Personally, I prefer the red SG model because I think it looks awesome, but both models work very well. I point out this particular package because of the guitar. Not only is it a great starter guitar, it will allow you to progress should you enjoy playing. You will save yourself a ton of money in the long run if you start out with a decent name brand guitar. Even if you decide you don't want to play, it's easy to resell and it's not a huge loss to you.

I would stray away from cheap knockoffs because you usually get what you pay for. If you start out playing a crappy guitar, you won't want to play. Even if you do like playing, you will have to buy better gear if you want to go anywhere with it. From all the starter packages I've used, the Epiphone has proven to be an absolute steal. It will last you forever, too.
Quote by jolly_ham
id reccomend buying a tuner too

How much should I expect to pay for an entry level tuner?
Could you link one for me please?

Sorry I'm a total novice.
Paul 'Johno' Johnson
Electric Guitar Novice
Not only is it a great starter guitar, it will allow you to progress should you enjoy playing. You will save yourself a ton of money in the long run if you start out with a decent name brand guitar. Even if you decide you don't want to play, it's easy to resell and it's not a huge loss to you.

No you don't, you just end up paying more for a similarly constructed guitar with a well-known brand name slapped on it. The SG special is no better than any of the other no-name starter guitars...they're all cheaply made in Indonesia, India or China.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Johno_UK
Thanks for the link.

DO NOT BUY THAT.

I don't care if you don't take to it, no one should have to settle for a guitar that shitty. Look up the Ibanez starter kits, those are some of the best you can get for the money.
Dickless.
Get A Pacifica!!!
FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE FLEA FAN CLUB - PM ME TO JOIN

Member of the True Ecentric Tea drinking Appreciation Society.
I hear the Ibanez starter kit is the best there is. Albeit I've only heard of the well-known brand name starter kits (epiphone, etc.).
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
This is getting confusing... lol.
Paul 'Johno' Johnson
Electric Guitar Novice
Get yourself an Ibanez starter pack - i hear those are awesome. But if you really do want a great sound, upgrade your amp to a Roland Cube, or Vox Valvetronix, because generally, starter pack amps suck.