Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 2
hendrix is not the best
Steve Vai is, by far

but he can be second...
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
I honestly don't think Hendrix is even half as good as people say he is...he's got nothing on half these shredders these days.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by the_extremist00
hendrix is not the best
Steve Vai is, by far

but he can be second...

idiot! just like this thread.

please close
i think Clapton is....

but however good he is, Hendrix is not the best.

Get Over It.
John Entwistle is my God. RIP.

listening to you, I get the music, gazing at you, I feel the heat, following you, I climb the mountain, I get excitement at your feet.
<3 tommy.
why idiot ? Steve is the best, maybe Satch in second

explain yourself
---

---
Yeah dude...you need to realize that Hendrix, according to alot of people, is far far from the best.

I would not even put him in my top 20.

Vai personally is my favorite.
Followed by my vote for Satch.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
hendrix isNOT! the friggen best at guitar he's not all that great Andres Segovia Pwns him 9999999999999999 x over because hendrix would probably never have picked up a guitar if it weren't Mr. Segovia, as many of us probably wouldn't have either so back to my basic point hendrix sucks.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
I voted for everyone because i dont like it when people get left out.
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
wait a second, jimi hendrix has influenced everyone after him. tender surrender is based off hendrix

Can you prove this?
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
wait a second, jimi hendrix has influenced everyone after him. tender surrender is based off hendrix

Everyone? He hasn't influenced me. And I can probably bet most metal players out there were not influenced by Hendrix either.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Guitarist132
I voted for everyone because i dont like it when people get left out.

Me too!
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
Yeh Jimi doesn't even belong in my Top 30, influencing or not. My personal favorite is Dimebag Darrel. He always knew how to combine emotion with amazing skills.

Btw there is no such thing as "the best guitar player".
Threadstarter, Jimi spelled his name "Jimi", not Jimmy. Lol

Apart from that, this is basically just going to be another "whose am teh best guitarist" thread. Of course, with the added bashing of people who hold other guitarists in higher regaurds than they do Jimi...

And of course people just plain bashing Jimi in general.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
hendrix revolutionized rock guitar. that's why some people call him the greatest or best.

technically speaking however, hendrix was far from the best. people like vai or satch or yngwie blow him out of the water technically speaking. but the thing is those three guys have not revolutionized guitar in the same way that hendrix has.

or for that matter eddie van halen in the way he revolutionized guitar in the late 70's before vai even got onto the scene.

oh and i voted for clapton. Cause Clapton is God.
Quote by AdayTripper
I don't want to ****ing be known as the guy who **** himself while his whole family came over. It just happened.

Quote by SonOfOsiris
how far would you go with a boy/girl to be able to say to someone "Im am not a virgin!"

????
ANDRES SEGOVIA..... if it werent for him i bet half the guitarist youve named wouldnt be playing...he is by far the best guitarist ever...then vai...then Satch...then dimebag etc. etc.
Use your imagination, use your whammy bar.
agreed
todays guitar playing if different than it was back in hendrix time, maybe he was the best back then, but today its unfair to compare him to satch or steve, malmsteen, petrucci, all those guys that shred a thousand notes
---

---

The threadstarter is a complete 'tard.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by thewrongreasons
ANDRES SEGOVIA..... if it werent for him i bet half the guitarist youve named wouldnt be playing...he is by far the best guitarist ever...then vai...then Satch...then dimebag etc. etc.

UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
my vote goes to the search button.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
Btw give the threadstarter a break. He's got a Blink-182 avatar. Clearly he has no idea what he's talking about.

Haha nice, +1...

Oh.. wait a second.
ok.. less generalizations and yelling about mis spellings.

Hendrix is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. He took the blues genre the next step foward into rock/blues as well as influenced many pop-rock artists of the next decade (and further). he has been covered by everyone from pearl jam to clapton and the allman brothers. He revolutionized the thumbed chords technique. He could improvise very well and got the crowd into whatever he was playing.

In comparision to other guitar players.. Robert Johnson, Merle Travis and Chet Akins invented styles of playing guitar. Jimmy Page has/had more diverse songs in his reportoire. Clapton could work with anyone and make a song sound amazing (bluesbreakers, yardbirds, cream, derek and the dominos, george harrison.. etc).

To me, metal players are not necessarily the greatest guitar players ever. To me, they are the best composers on the face of the planet. I get bored listening to Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Vai, and other progressive instrumentals and the like. Technically, they are amazing! but diversity and flow and feeling make a great guitar song. David Gilmour can technically play a lot of incredible lines, but the 4 note theme from "shine on you crazy diamond" far outshine anything from the comfortably numb solo. In opposition, Ed Van Halen's Eruption is very enjoyable because it combines shred with emotion.

So, please do not bash jimi hendrix, and do not say that he is the greatest of all time either. It is nearly impossible to rank the greatest guitar player of all time, as contexts and technical and improvizational ability all come in different combinations. Just enjoy thier music.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Quote by the_extremist00
agreed
todays guitar playing if different than it was back in hendrix time, maybe he was the best back then, but today its unfair to compare him to satch or steve, malmsteen, petrucci, all those guys that shred a thousand notes

Wait, why do people say "back then guitarists weren't as good" exactly?

There were certainly technical guitarists then, Like José Feliciano and Gary Moore to name a couple. Buddy Guy got technical when he wanted to (and still does). And I'm sure there are more that I'm not familiar with.

Hendrix didn't make it as a technical virtuoso, he made it as a musician, In my opinion. The only time I actually recall him trying to be technical was woodstock (well actually there were a couple other times, but you get the point maybe).

As a blues based guitarist, he had feel - this is often overlooked. That combined with his musical creativity and knowledge of effects are what make him good, (again) In my opinion.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Quote by vampwizzard
To me, metal players are not necessarily the greatest guitar players ever. To me, they are the best composers on the face of the planet. I get bored listening to Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Vai, and other progressive instrumentals and the like. Technically, they are amazing! but diversity and flow and feeling make a great guitar song. David Gilmour can technically play a lot of incredible lines, but the 4 note theme from "shine on you crazy diamond" far outshine anything from the comfortably numb solo. In opposition, Ed Van Halen's Eruption is very enjoyable because it combines shred with emotion.

What a load of stupid opinionated waffle

Shred and Emotion are not separate. 'Emotion' is a stupid thing to relate to an inanimate object anyway

It's all in what you hear, I find more emotion in John Petrucci's playing than any Gilmour i've heard
Slash is THE best
Woops i pushed a big RED button.

So what the hell is supposed to happen now?
meep that wasnt supposed to go at the top....ohshit

Quote by GiantRaven
You have the proof of this outrageous claim?

yers cos look at how many things he's done and his riff of sweet child o' mine is voted the greatest riff ever

Quote by sum 41 fan
yers cos look at how many things he's done and his riff of sweet child o' mine is voted the greatest riff ever

How many things he's done?
Quote by GiantRaven
You have the proof of this outrageous claim?

so who do you think is the best ever guitarist???

slash is great but his bends arent very good! but i love him

hendrix is not the best. get over it
Page 1 of 2