I know the basics.Modes, major and minor pentatonics (hopefully i spelled that right) , etc but what is the next step?? Progressions, what? Oh, please only real musicians reply, not someone who thinks they know how to play because they learned the powerchord intro to smoke on the water. Thanks guys
well, if you really LEARNED those things, you would know how to play those scales, in every key, all over the fretboard

it takes time, really

for modes, you should learn what they sound like, as in what chords correspond to which mode, and when to use each mode, and then apply that to the guitar as well, all over the fretboard
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
ok, ive been at it for 7-8 months
i can do hammerons, pulloffs, alternate picking, improv soling trills, bends, artificial and pinch harmonics and a litlle bit of tapping, still at it
and um, picking and technique have nothing to do with learning theory
ok alternate picking done, hammer ons pulloffs done, pinch harmonics, natural, and artificial harmonics done. I'm not the best but i do know how to play. I'd really like to know where to start building melodies on top of rhythm. Some satriani stuff ya know (but not that complex yet)
i can improv solo off my friend playing progressions. i did that for johnny b goode in bflat and in other blues songs in other keys.
If you know the modes and such a good thing to do would to write out some basic chord progressions such as ii-V-I or V-IV-I and figure out how the different modes sound over them,,,, also learn your extended chords too, such as 7th, 9th, and 13th chords.
in order to study chord progressions, you should really have a handle of chords in general...

like how they are formed, how to construct from the major scale, what scales to play on top of certain chords, etc
Quote by magnus_maximus
Learn a few techniques, alternate picking would be a good place to start.

I'm assuming you're a newbie, but you're probably not one anyways.

Alt Picking would be a good place to start, and then, once you hammer that, practise some fancier techniques like hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Don't just take my advice though, I'm mostly internet/self-taught =P

Thats all technique not music theory. Music Theory applies to music in general not just guitar like technique does.
Quote by leading_theway
what? Oh, please only real musicians reply, not someone who thinks they know how to play because they learned the powerchord intro to smoke on the water. Thanks guys

Progressions would a good place as well as harmony beyond that of the modes like Ionian and such as an example you could learn some melodic minor harmony and the chords built off that scale.
well, if you really LEARNED those things, you would know how to play those scales, in every key, all over the fretboard

yah and umm i can do that.........thanks for looking out but the second thing you said about what chords correspond with each mode is what i could work on. How do i go about doing that? Maybe explain more?
well, you know what tones are important and each key, right?

example G mixolydian

its derived from the C major scale, which means it has the same notes (no accidentals) but the intervals are completely different

you would say it has a dominant 7th feel, considering it has the tones of

1 M3 P5 b7

when means, root, major 3rd, perfect 5th, minor 7th

you should really be familar with how each mode relates to the major scale (ionian mode)
there are 7 modes in each key. say in the key of C

ionian would be CDEFGABC or a major scale
dorian? i think is DEFGABCD correct me if I'm wrong guys
a mode is basically taking all the notes of the major scale

for example C major

C D EF G A BC

and starting on a different note, and making that your new root note

for mixolydian, you would start on G

G mixolydian

G A BC D EF G

now, if you would compare each interval to how it relates to the major scale

you would notice that it has the same intervals, except it has a flattened 7th, which gives it that different feel, even though its the exact notes
knowing the chords that go with each mode can really tell you a lot about the mode, and when a good time to use it would be

Dorian - minor 7th
phyrygian - minor 7th
lydian - major 7th
mixolydian - dominant 7th
aeolian - minor 7th
locrain - minor7th, flattened 5th
really, the drive to learn would be greater than any class

now, advanced theory, it might be hard to pick up on your own
it could, definitely...

but most theory classes are EXTREMELY slow, and you really wouldn't learn much.

of course it would be practice, so....
i went out and bought a book from Amayon called:
The idiot's guide to Music Theory, 2nd Edition... I am finding it very helpful in understanding this stuff...
the knowledge is out there, on the internets and things

your job is just incorporating that into your playing
If you want to increase your practical knowledge of modes and scales I highly recommend a book called The Guitar Grimoire - Scales and Modes. I'm mostly a self-taught player and even though I learned alot about music by figuring out songs and solos from CD's, eventually my improvising hit a rut that this book helped me get out of.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
As long as the class isn't only half a year long then go ahead and take it. They tend to take the basics really slow cause everything builds on what you have done before.