I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now.

I am looking to get a really nice punk rock sound in the vein of Rise Against, Bad Religion, Hot Water Music, but also a slightly dirty clean sound for some Upstroke breakdown parts (think the main riff in The Breakup Song by American Hifi)

Feel free to suggest settings or other gear to add to this.

This is what I have:

Epiphone G-310 SG Electric Guitar

Line 6 Spider II 75W (with four channel footswitch)

Marshall MG412 Cabinet

Crate Power Block

Fender pedal tuner

Boss Sd-1 Overdrive Pedal

Danelectro Chorus.

Thanks so much
Get a better guitar or upgrade the pickups.
And get a better amp, sell the cab too(or change the speakers).
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Get a better guitar or upgrade the pickups.
And get a better amp, sell the cab too(or change the speakers).

He's subtily trying to say that your gear kinda sucks :p
Yup, its people like him who make the internet what it is.. A chance to beat up on other people without real life consequences...I hope someone decides to take this thread seriously.
He was asking for suggestions, I gave some.

I'm not trying to be harsh, just give you some suggestions on what to do. Because in all honesty, the amp isn't the greatest, and everyone knows it, I'm not trying to "tear you down", just giving my opinion.
Calm down... and stop taking it to heart.
Don't be afraid to care"

OK, sell the crate powerblock, the cab and he spider. then save up a bit and you might be able to afford a nice vave amp (tube if your american lol). Look at the ashdown fallen angel series, peavey valve king. these are pretty high gain tube amps fro yuor punky tone. theres also laney, the lc and vc range for crunchy britt type dist. then theres the VJ, in my opinion, the lil' bro of all great upmarket tube amps, this an american flavour amp and looooooves pedals. New amp basically lol
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

^That's what I was trying to say, it'd work out good like that, but nooooooo, I get blamed for ruining forums.
Don't be afraid to care"

Ok, I'm going to ammend my post.

How can I improve this rig without selling off every piece of it and getting a tube amp. I dont like tube amps. Yes I know they "sound" better, but I am very tough on my belongings and I dont feel like running the risk of ruining something like that.
Yup, its people like him who make the internet what it is.. A chance to beat up on other people without real life consequences...I hope someone decides to take this thread seriously.

You can't ask for opinions then have a hissy fit because somebody told you the truth - the spider's crap, the powerblock's not really right for your kind of stuff either. A new amp's more important than a new guitar, you could get away with just swapping the pickups...Duncan Custom in the bridge or something like that. Ampwise just get a nice tube amp - you'll get away with the MG cab for the time being. Ashdown are discontinuing the fallen angel series so you can pick up their 60 watt head pretty cheap at the moment.

How can I improve this rig without selling off every piece of it and getting a tube amp. I dont like tube amps. Yes I know they "sound" better, but I am very tough on my belongings and I dont feel like running the risk of ruining something like that.

As long as you don't tapdance on a tube amp in the rain it'll be fine - let's face it, all your amp does is sit there on stage, I understand the concern about a guitar because you can thrash those around. Punk's visceral, and you don't get those kind of sounds from solid state amps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by R_H_C_P
^That's what I was trying to say, it'd work out good like that, but nooooooo, I get blamed for ruining forums.

lol, its only cos the thread starters in love with me.
He doesnt love you
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

It doesn't matter anymore, I've got backup from good ol' Steven Seagull. Who by the way I loved in "Seige". Can you actually cook?
Don't be afraid to care"

First step to good tone is a good guitar and a good amp. effects shouldnt be what make you sound good. They are what enhance your already good tone....and with a spider, or anything digital for that matter, you wont get it. Definetly ditch the spider and get some tubes in your life. Also...dont fall for the "if it says marshall on it it must be good!" Because thats not the case....low end marshall blows. i.e. the MG and The AVT.

Step 1: New amp- one that sounds good without effects. And dont go cheap.....in amps, cheap is usually cheap for a reason.
Step 2: Maybe a new guitar...I personally dont have anything against epiphone though. Your SG should be just fine for a while...so I wouldnt worry to much about that.
Step 3: Try out a bunch of pedals and buy a couple you really will use. Dont just buy something bc somebody told you you gotta have one. I've done a few shows....seen a whole lot more. I never used any chorus, wah or flanger....and in most cases neither did anyone I saw. The only thing I can imagine being useful is delay and compression. Just be prepared to spend some cash. The search for "your tone" is expensive long and frustrating.

But if you didnt want to end up selling all your stuff....you shouldnt have bought crap in the first place....and by crap I mean the powerblock, the spider, and anything that says mg on it.
It doesn't matter anymore, I've got backup from good ol' Steven Seagull. Who by the way I loved in "Seige". Can you actually cook?

Never mind the cooking...you should try my new energy drink
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by R_H_C_P

This has made me consider a new group on these forums, UG's erm..... average wh0res lol.

not realy, some might actually join, that would be funny

NEW AMP DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

Quote by sleepypunk1111
I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now.

I am looking to get a really nice punk rock sound in the vein of Rise Against, Bad Religion, Hot Water Music, but also a slightly dirty clean sound for some Upstroke breakdown parts (think the main riff in The Breakup Song by American Hifi)

Feel free to suggest settings or other gear to add to this.

This is what I have:

Epiphone G-310 SG Electric Guitar

Line 6 Spider II 75W (with four channel footswitch)

Marshall MG412 Cabinet

Crate Power Block

Fender pedal tuner

Boss Sd-1 Overdrive Pedal

Danelectro Chorus.

Thanks so much

Get rid of the chorus, the power block, the spider, swap out the speakers in the MG cab, buy yourself a set of decent emmince speakers, get a ecent head, (SoCal comes to mind for cheap and AWESOME BANG for you buck.)

Also put a better set of pups in that SG and get it set up by a pro, and youll be 100% ahppier with your sound I promise.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by steven seagull
Never mind the cooking...you should try my new energy drink

mine's better. it's pomegranite flavor.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Sell the Crate, Cab and Line 6. Get a used valve amp. Or an Ashdown Fallen Angel, or some similar cheap valve amp.