Ok, I've never done any kind of customization before and honestly don't have a great idea how guitars are put together to begin with, so I want to start by replacing the single coil pickups on my Mustang with humbuckers, like Kurt Cobain did with his. Now, I have pretty much zero idea what this entails - I know I'd have to modify the pickguard to accomodate them, but that's about it. So, 1) What do I have to do to replace them, 2) how much work is it, and 3) what kind of pickups would you guys suggest? I want a really crunchy sound, but I also want to retain some of the clean tone I can get now. Thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to reply to my noob questions
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
with a mustang i believe it would require cutting the pickguard and routing the guitar to fit the humbuckers...
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
well you can't replace single coils with humbuckers unless you reroute the pickup cavity (space where pick up goes) that could be hard. might want it done by a professional.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
You could get some single coil sized humbuckers. What kind of tone are you looking for?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
^ Ya, I just read up on single coil sized humbuckers, that seems like the easiest option. Ideally, distorted, I'd want to be able to have a nice Slash-esque high end and a crunchy low end. Thinking more on it, I don't care that much about what it sounds like clean - although it would be good to have a nice warm clean sound, I've got a hollowbody for that =D. Sorry if I'm not much help with specifics
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Maybe a Seymout Duncan Little '59 in the neck, and wither a Little '59 or Hotrails in the bridge.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
You'll need HBs for that sound. Lift up the pickguard and see how big the routs in the wood are.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.