I'm thinking about getting a better guitar so, I was wondering if I should get a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I don't want to pay over $700 if you want to suggest anything else.
naa you need to go for the standard with gibsons.
ive heard from alot of people and professionals that the epiphone les paul custom/ elite custom are far better guitars, due to the gibson brand name
Wouldn't an Epiphone LP Custom for $600 be better?
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Didn't Gibson just bump the price?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Just checked, it looks like they are 1269 now, up from 999. You could probably go into guitar center and still get the old price though, I think the bump was really recent.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030
EDIT: I didn't notice your location, I have no idea what prices are like there.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Feb 7, 2007,
The bump was only last week or something. It couldn't be more then a month old since I was looking at that guitar not that long ago for $999.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio. It is a really durable guitar that sounds great. I have abused the hell out of my Studio and it still delivers night after night. With my studio, I can tune it, play a show, put it in the case and take it out the next day and still be in tune. When you buy a Studio, you are getting a quality guitar, but without the cosmetic amenities of higher priced gibbys.

I owned 2 epiphone lps when I was younger, and they were not all they were cracked up to be. I had an epi lp special, and the epi lp birdseye. They hardly ever stayed in tune for more than a song or two. I also had terrible feedback issues with them. They had a Les Paul shape, but that was where the similarities ended. Owning both of those guitars, it ruined my opinion of epiphone. I AM SURE ALOT OF YOU GET ENJOYMENT FROM YOUR EPIPHONES! And that is really all that matters.

Before you buy ANY guitar, consider how you will be using it. If you are going to be playing several shows weekly and traveling all over, get a higher quality guitar that can stand up to the abuse that will be thrown it's way. If you are just sitting around your room practicing and taking lessons, do not worry about breaking your bank account to buy the best guitar you can barely afford.

Just take your time while deciding what you want. Play ALOT of different brands, styles, pup configurations. Play some with stop tail pieces, string through body, vintage tremolos, kahler and floyd rose setups. Play various neck shapes as well! Make sure what you get is comfortable, pleasing to the ears and adequate for the amount of playing you will be throwing it's way. And do not take anyone else's opinion about your gear too seriously. Get what pleases YOU, not someone else.

I hope this helps a bit.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Quote by OsirisProtocol
The bump was only last week or something. It couldn't be more then a month old since I was looking at that guitar not that long ago for $999.

I think I can buy it now on ebay for a lightly used one for $750 with shipping. I live in the midwest US.
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio. It is a really durable guitar that sounds great. I have abused the hell out of my Studio and it still delivers night after night. With my studio, I can tune it, play a show, put it in the case and take it out the next day and still be in tune. When you buy a Studio, you are getting a quality guitar, but without the cosmetic amenities of higher priced gibbys.

I owned 2 epiphone lps when I was younger, and they were not all they were cracked up to be. I had an epi lp special, and the epi lp birdseye. They hardly ever stayed in tune for more than a song or two. I also had terrible feedback issues with them. They had a Les Paul shape, but that was where the similarities ended. Owning both of those guitars, it ruined my opinion of epiphone. I AM SURE ALOT OF YOU GET ENJOYMENT FROM YOUR EPIPHONES! And that is really all that matters.

Before you buy ANY guitar, consider how you will be using it. If you are going to be playing several shows weekly and traveling all over, get a higher quality guitar that can stand up to the abuse that will be thrown it's way. If you are just sitting around your room practicing and taking lessons, do not worry about breaking your bank account to buy the best guitar you can barely afford.

Just take your time while deciding what you want. Play ALOT of different brands, styles, pup configurations. Play some with stop tail pieces, string through body, vintage tremolos, kahler and floyd rose setups. Play various neck shapes as well! Make sure what you get is comfortable, pleasing to the ears and adequate for the amount of playing you will be throwing it's way. And do not take anyone else's opinion about your gear too seriously. Get what pleases YOU, not someone else.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably going to be joining a few bands soon, but I'm going to use it for about everything.
Thats the vintage mahogany studio. ITs only 799 with free shipping from Musiciansfriend so you might as well buy it new.
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
The Les Paul with Humbuckers (what its called on MFer) is like $700, its got good pups, doesn't look gorgeuos, has small inlays but tonally its all there.

The Les Paul Mahogany might be up your alley as well. There are no real problems with studios, ocassionly a loose knob or pickup but nothign major.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Well the LP Studios are great Gibsons. Also the Mahogany one is really good to id say!

Ascendancy1080: No the MG makes that guitar sound bad!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I love the sound of my Studio. It's one of the best sounding Les Pauls I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It sounds far superior to any Standard or even Custom that I've played in the last 20 years (hence why I bought it).

However, it didn't hold out too well on its first stage use. After only 3 songs, everything that could loosen (knobs, input jack, toggle switch) was pretty loose, and the low E string had jumped out of the notch on the bridge saddle and carved itself a new notch. I know I'm hard on my guitars on stage, but I've never had so many little things happen to a guitar in such a short period of time.

Now, none of these issues are really serious, and I'm sure that with everything tightened back up and when I re-notch my saddle, everything will be fine and this won't happen again. But I know my confidence in my LP is shaken now. But I know other people who play LP Studios and have no problems with them whatsoever.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Get a used one, just make sure you try out a few first to make sure you get a good'un.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30