Page 1 of 2
I was inspired to make this thread today by my friend. We were discussing what music we used to listen to before we got hooked to metal/rock. When I was younger, I was one of those typical elementary school kids, and I listened to Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N Sync, and so on. My friend was pretty much the same. For me, it wasn't until a few years later when I actually turned the station for once, and listened to rock, and I've been listening to that since. So, what kind of music did you guys used to listen to when you were younger and not into rock/metal? And how did you get introduced to different genres?
ive been into a lot of my music since i was about 8 or 9. the more "modern" stuff anyway.
before that it was black sabbath, bob dylan, led zeppelin and the who!
and i still love them today aswell!
Top lel.
I don't think I took an actual interest in what I liked until I was about 11 and at that time my first favourite band was Radiohead, and they carried on being my favourite band for the 7 years after that.
"Genital Grinders," the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. Embodiment to join.
I used to listen to Regional Mexican music, mostly what's known as Norteno. When I was in 6th grade my older brother brought home a Blink 182 cd, and from then on I fell in love with distorted guitars.
i listened to the "popular" stuff. i was pretty much like any other kid in my class. my dad was the one that introduced me to Floyd, Sabbath, Zepplin, ect. Thank god for my dad, he introduced my to good music, and guitar.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Never listened to music, and then I don't know why started listening to all sorts of bands. When I was like 13 my favorite bands were Limp Bizkit, Korn, Rage Against the Machine and Incubus.

EDIT: I still think that Limp Bizkit had two good albums before they turned to shit.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
First, I listened to overproduced pop. Then, I listened to Weird Al (I still do). Then, I listened to random stuff off of movie sountracks. Then, I didn't listen to much. Then, I started listening to Linkin Park and J-Pop. Then, I stopped listening to music for a little while. Then, I started playing guitar, and I began to listen to better music. Which isn't to say that only music with guitars is good, it's just that my musical tastes began to refine after beginning guitar.
I pretty much listened to the "popular" stuff when I was younger, but I always liked rock. My dad always had the stereo system on pretty much 24/7, mostly stuff like The Doors, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, etc. So I've always liked those bands.

I was also into rap and rock about equally until I was around 14, then I realized that a lot of it was crap, but there are still some good rappers out there. Now, I listen to all types of rock, and some, but not very much rap.
i didnt really listen to music =0.

until fifth grade, then i got into linkin park and POD.

then i wised up.

Now i llisten to pretty much anything that doesnt give me a headache
i listened to whatever my parents listened to but once i got my first stereo i discovered a whole new world of music!and thus began loving rock!
your once gentle words are bleeding from my eyes ,screams of terror now fill my every breath...
I don't wanna rock (rock) dee-jaay (deee-jaaay)

But you're making me feel so nice.

Shoot me. I would

And also, Mr. Lover Lover AKA: Shaggy. What a legend.

EDIT: It wasn't until Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was released that I got into rock/punk music. Hearing American Bad Ass as The Undertaker's theme also enlightened me.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by Mask_of_Terror
Busted!! woop woop!

yeah, i don't tell many people....

But they're only like, 2 years old...?

Five, I still kinda like them now, they were much better than backstreet boys or westlife. Then i started listening to a lot of bands like stereophonics and athlete, neither of which i particularly like anymore though.
Quote by JamieB
EDIT: It wasn't until Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was released that I got into rock/punk music. Hearing American Bad Ass as The Undertaker's theme also enlightened me.

96 Quite Bitter Beings on 3 FTW!
Southern rock and country.
then mainstream rock and pop.
Moved into Nu Metal (which was just metal then.... I still like a few of those bands. They're hard to let go of....they're part of my past).
Classic Rock, blues
Classic rock, metal, blues
More metalcore and metal.
Metal.
Everything. <- Now.

Seriously, as I progressed I just kinda latched onto everything I like, so I have a VERY broad spectrum of likes.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I just listened to whatever my parents put on there cd player/tape player(1990 kid, CD players were just coming into popularity); The Beatles, ELO, Boston, Bob Dylan, The Police, Sting, Paul McCartney, The Forrest Gump soundtrack(lol), yea shit like that, lot's of oldies.
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
When I was in Primary school, I listened to stuff like Robbie Williams, and some dance. In Yr7, I listened to rap and dance, and in year 8, I picked up guitar and become amazed with Guns N' Roses, and then started listening to a lot of different rock/metal genre's.
I hate it when people start listening to rock they automaticly start pretending pop and such are shit. If you liked it before why don't you like it now? I still listen to some pop-ish music, new metal, Green Day, and there's a FOB song I like .
I didnt actually notice music til I was 12-13 (which is wierd - Im music obsessed now!). I got into Green Day and now RHCP all the way and dont forget Metallica.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Quote by Hells_Bell
I hate it when people start listening to rock they automaticly start pretending pop and such are shit. If you liked it before why don't you like it now? I still listen to some pop-ish music, new metal, Green Day, and there's a FOB song I like .

To be fair, once you realise that there's much better music out there, there's no reason to go back.

And also, the mainstream's not what it used to be.

When i was in early grade school, I mainly listened to counry.
Then about 5th grade I started listening to The Offspring and greenday and bands like that
then about 6-7th grade I started found my big brothers classic rock albums, and I've been hooked on that ever since.
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Quote by JamieB
To be fair, once you realise that there's much better music out there, there's no reason to go back.

very true
Quote by calebrocker

anyway, vaisatchgilbert gets a 6, because he has an awesome avatar, and he's actually not an ignorant n00b
Quote by JamieB

I know taste changes, but I hate people that go : "I listened to [insert band/musician name here] but then I started listening to [insert "cool" genre here] and undesrtood that my previous bands were shit".
Quote by Hells_Bell
I know taste changes, but I hate people that go : "I listened to [insert band/musician name here] but the i started listening to [insert "cool" genre here] and undesrtood that my previous bands were shit".

I maybe wouldn't go as far as to call them shit, after all, I listened to it all. But in comparison it's usually not as good. I don't go back and listen to the music I used to listen to because I much prefer the music I listen to now, so, in comparison it's "not as good". I don't know if some people emphasise by using the word shit, or if they want to seem hardcore and alternative, so, yeah. *shrug*

Nsync then i got into like linkin part. then Breaking benjamin, and seether and thats were im at now. since i have started playing guitar i have apprciated like led zeppelin and eric clapton and jimi hendrix.
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
Micheal Jackson.

I would listen to Thriller over and over again.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
i listened to cheesy 90s pop when was younger (6/7/8) then left music and only came back to liking music when was about 15 and heard the red hot chili peppers and ash, and since then i've liked a broad sample of rock
Quote by Liberation
Micheal Jackson.

I would listen to Thriller over and over again.

Damn, how did I forget about that?

I always loved Beat It (), and I was in awe at the thing he does in the Moonwalker video, you know where everyone leans forward like, loads?

I listened to Beat it
Quote by calebrocker

anyway, vaisatchgilbert gets a 6, because he has an awesome avatar, and he's actually not an ignorant n00b
Everything i've ever listened to was when i was younger

But as far back as i can remember, i've always enjoyed listening to music.
The first thing i can remember was when i was into David Bowie when i was like 4, the album Hunky Dory. Also Pata Pata by Miriam Makeba, those were my favorite joints next to Cookiemonster's underrated gem I lost my cookie in the discoteque (which, i must add, confirmed my earlier suspicions that cookiemonster is black).

Then i got heavily into the Beatles when i was 8 after hearing Hey Jude at some barbeque. I had most of their records, some on tape and some on vinyl; i bought a record player from my allowance, at a flea market for like $2 and my mom would buy me records from a nearby 2nd hand vinyl shop every now and then. It's funny how my taste in their music hasn't changed that much. I've always prefered their later work, with my favorite album being Abbey Road.
Page 1 of 2