Hi, i have been wondering about direct recording for a whille now and i have a few questions,

1. What is the best direct recording tool with effects?

2. How do you connect every thing? is it like, Guitar-->amp-->direct recording tool-->computer, or is it just Guitar-->direct recording tool-->computer.

3. Do i need a seperate recording software in addition to the direct recording tool?

i know its alot of questions but im a major recording newb.
THX for the help
i was wondering the same thing actually
Quote by Gunpowder
Just remember, you can't spell "Ugly" without "UG"

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
umm i think i know what your asking...
- direct recording takes your amp out of the equation, so it would be "guitar-direct-compy"
- but you need some sort of direct box, or mixer to get the signal to the right level
- even after that, you would need effects and things

most companys make a box that connects to your compy that comes with software for effects and recording, usually all in one...for example, guitarport

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-GuitarPort-RiffTracker?sku=700519
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
cool, my only worry is tone, will the tone be as good as when i play from my amp? I remember hearing somthing about the tone being as good as ur guitar, is this true?
well now your getting into a touchy subject...it really depends

- what kinda amp do you have?
- what guitar?
- what kinda direct recording emulations are you gonna use?
many digital effects can sound pretty convincing, especially if your amp sux, but pros rarely record direct but this shuoldnt stop you from going direct if you want to
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
cool, my only worry is tone, will the tone be as good as when i play from my amp?

Well, if you a crappy amp, a mic'd sound is also going to be crappy. A direct guitar is probably better than a really bad, fizzy amp (assuming high gain here).

I have some good amps and have done my fair share of recording so I greatly prefer the sound of a real amp over the direct boxes. I dont' hear any magic in the direct guitar stuff. Something is just flat and usually fizzy in them.

This is my opinion. Others may disagree, but most who disagree don't make a living recording and are trying to save money.

Brandon
Guitar- Ibanez SA260 with EMG 81/S/S set
Amp- Marshall TSl 122, i use a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
Mics-none

i really love the tone i get through my gear, will that tone change alot if i plug straight into my computer?

What will cost more, a soundcard for my comp + a direct recording tool, or a really nice mic,

thx for the help
Quote by lisagabe
1. What is the best direct recording tool with effects?

If we're talking only guitar then I suggest something like TonePort or the new GearBox from Line6. Just plug into the interface and you have access to a multitude of good-to-excellent Line6 simulations and more effects than you'd probably know what to do with. I've never been a huge fan of the Line6 sound myself so I prefer a Vox ToneLab but that requires a few more things.

Quote by lisagabe
2. How do you connect every thing? is it like, Guitar-->amp-->direct recording tool-->computer, or is it just Guitar-->direct recording tool-->computer.

Depends on what gear you have obviously. This kind of thing will be covered by the manual/easy setup guide for any product you choose.

Quote by lisagabe
3. Do i need a seperate recording software in addition to the direct recording tool?

I'd suggest it. Some interfaces come with free bundled software but they can be limited versions that allow you to do fairly little. Right now the best "gang for your buck" deal is the MBox 2 Mini from Digidesign which gives you a good recording interface, a great program (albeit it slightly scaled down performance-wise), mic/DI inputs so that you can choose to go either route, and some serious bundled software (including Amplitube LE so that you can just plug you guitar straight in should you want to).
Quote by lisagabe
Guitar- Ibanez SA260 with EMG 81/S/S set
Amp- Marshall TSl 122, i use a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
Mics-none

i really love the tone i get through my gear, will that tone change alot if i plug straight into my computer?

What will cost more, a soundcard for my comp + a direct recording tool, or a really nice mic,

thx for the help

If you use a direct recording setup you'll be rebuilding your tone from scratch. Since you say you like it now, I wouldn't go that route.

Anyways, here are the components you'll need (in signal order):

Guitar
(Amp)
DI box
Interface
Computer

There are some DI boxes that you take from the speaker output on the amp, but these cost quite a bit.

All in all, I think that it's easier to take the usual route and to just use a mic setup. For that, read the stickies. It's all in there.

EDIT:
And screw the MBox stuff, info on why in the stickies.
Skip the digital emulations from companies like Line 6 too.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
They are some amps that already have a DI. Line 6, some Mesa/Boogie, Vox, and a couple others.