Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. I just started playin the guitar a few months ago and am lovin it. I suck but I don't really give a shit. I have a Yamaha acoustic right now and its ok.But I really want to get an electric. The thing is I'm in highschool and don't have a job so droppin 400 on a guitar when I am just starting is pretty unreasonable. So I really need a guitar AND an amp for under 200. I know this is kind of an immposible thing. From what I read pretty much anything I get for under 200 will be crap, so I guess I will just have to buy crap. My question is what is the best crap? Is there really even a difference in sub 200 dollar guitars. I also know theres probalby already a hundred topics on this. All of those threads are just people saying there favorite guitar and usually the thread goes nowhere, except for just showing me more choices. And I don't want people saying "if you just spend another 100-200 you can get a much nicer guiar", because I probably could spend more I just don't want to. Well thats the end of my rambles. Could'ya guys help me out?
go on guitarcenter.com and look at electric starter packs, you'll find wat you need
The Yamaha pacifica starter set seems to be the one with a good reputation, if I had to I'd go with that.

But yeah, I play an Epiphone SG and it's pretty sweet.

You can get it for about 166 euro on thomann, so its cheaper in America...you could get a starter amp with that (though I'd recommend not getting a set and saving up for a decent amp, I know you said its not really an option, but if you put aside all the dollar notes you get for a few months or something...the difference will be noticed, and you will be able to test out a few more different tones and effects with a goodish amp.)

Other option is a squier starter set, but no....:/
You could go with an Epiphone Special II starter pack. That's what I started on.
I'm a person.
I've never heard of Rondo Guitars. But there stuff looks nice for cheap. Can anyone else recomend them?
a co-worker of mine swears by them. I've never dealt with rondomusic myself tho. I believe Kramer has some very affordable guitars possibly in the 200$ range. google the site! I've played on the as well and man.. for $200 :O :O :O
well, i suggest you get a "starter pack" .. they often go for 150-250$ (CAN$) so that's in your range..

Depending on every pack, they include a guitar, an amp, a strap, a rack sometimes, a few picks and even some starter books if you're lucky (all in a single box! )

Have fun!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by Kivarenn82
a co-worker of mine swears by them. I've never dealt with rondomusic myself tho. I believe Kramer has some very affordable guitars possibly in the 200$ range. google the site! I've played on the as well and man.. for $200 :O :O :O

he needs an amp too :S
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Rondo Rulz - i play one of their AL-2000's every night - feels, looks and plays like a much more expensive Axe than it is - you'd love em!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
done

and

done
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
Quote by D0c7oR 8oB
done

and

done

Could not of said it any better myself.

Enjoy your new Squier 51 and Roland Cube 15.
I started on a behringer V-tone starter pack [includes amp, guitar, pick, strap, the usual, lol]. It lasted for about a year, so maybe you should go with what the other people have said. The amp sounded pretty nice though, but only had like 2 good settings...
Quote by strangedogs
Rondo Rulz - i play one of their AL-2000's every night - feels, looks and plays like a much more expensive Axe than it is - you'd love em!

Deffinelty

I had the PS-1000 and I had an SX gold top which just KILLED. My goodness for the price they are amazing.
Quote by D0c7oR 8oB
done

and

done

I go with Doctor on this one . Even if you upgrade you could probably keep the amp for practice purposes

Otherwise I hear Yamaha Pacificas are great deals in that range
it's not perfect at all.

i'm not gonna recommend any amp/guitar combo for 200 bucks. what i am gonna do is tell you that it is definately NOT stupid to drop 400 on a guitar when you're just starting.

don't just look at the price tag. you need to think about how playable the guitar actually is. you're gonna have a hard time learning to play on a piece of crap squier, and you're not gonna enjoy the sound if it's coming out of a crappy amp (although roland cubes are pretty cool for being so small, vox valvetronix series aren't too shabby either)

if you're looking for a strat sound, get a mexi. you'll love yourself for it. your pockets might hate it but you won't regret the decision. ibanez's lower end is so much better than squiers. even the starter pack. i still can't recommend a starter pack though....
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Ibanez Rg321 maybe, or a grg. They are decent aswell, most ibanez stuff is good infact. Get a epiphone valve jr amp, or a roland cube 15/microcube and you are sorted.
I have to say how good this forum is. I have been to other forums for other things and I don't think I have ever gotten this many resposes as I have on this one, especialy with an extremly over used topic. But that aside, people are again just sayin what there personal favorite guitar is and it's not really helping me out. Mabye it would be better if I named some stuff I like and people said yay or nay? So here my first set I am looking at

ESP LTD Electric Guitar

with a

Marshall MG10CD

Waddya think. I've read good reviews about he guitar. I think I held it a a local guitar store and it felt solid. Don't really know bout the amp but those unrealiable online store reviews said it was nice for a small amp.
Quote by Pizzapotamus

i'm not gonna recommend any amp/guitar combo for 200 bucks. what i am gonna do is tell you that it is definately NOT stupid to drop 400 on a guitar when you're just starting.

don't just look at the price tag. you need to think about how playable the guitar actually is. you're gonna have a hard time learning to play on a piece of crap squier, and you're not gonna enjoy the sound if it's coming out of a crappy amp (although roland cubes are pretty cool for being so small, vox valvetronix series aren't too shabby either)

i think the squier 51 is almost as nice as mim fenders but thats just my opinion.

of course its not stupid to spend more money. but if you were to spend just 200$ that is what i reccomend.
Kid said he is in HS, does not have have a job. So please explain how this poor kid is going to save his lunch money for the next six months and come up with enough to make a lick of difference. Recall what it was like back then, you want what you want and you want it now.

That said: Squire Strat Package like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=squire+pack

Gives you everything you will need to get playing. Is it the best guitar ever built, no. So what? You are going to drop up, bang it around, scratch it up, etc. So what good does it do to buy a $600 MIM? That comes with no strap, picks, amp, cord, tuner etc? For $200 you get it all, do not have to piece it together and you are ready to go out of the box.

Other good things? You decide you hate it? Sell it to your buddy for $225.00. Love it? Get a freeking job at Taco Bell and save up to buy a better amp next. Then move from Taco bell to the local grocery store and make an extra $1.25 an hour and buy that MIM strat off Ebay.

Bottom line? Take what you have get started, strap yourself in it is going to be a long ride but for god sakes man get started!
Quote by TheMrDoug
Kid said he is in HS, does not have have a job. So please explain how this poor kid is going to save his lunch money for the next six months and come up with enough to make a lick of difference. Recall what it was like back then, you want what you want and you want it now.

That said: Squire Strat Package like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=squire+pack

Gives you everything you will need to get playing. Is it the best guitar ever built, no. So what? You are going to drop up, bang it around, scratch it up, etc. So what good does it do to buy a $600 MIM? That comes with no strap, picks, amp, cord, tuner etc? For $200 you get it all, do not have to piece it together and you are ready to go out of the box.

Other good things? You decide you hate it? Sell it to your buddy for $225.00. Love it? Get a freeking job at Taco Bell and save up to buy a better amp next. Then move from Taco bell to the local grocery store and make an extra $1.25 an hour and buy that MIM strat off Ebay.

Bottom line? Take what you have get started, strap yourself in it is going to be a long ride but for god sakes man get started!

The Amps Buzz Like hell on squier packs
I really don't want a Squire Strat. My friend got one for christmas and it's already been to the repair shop. Could someone say what they think about the setup I said earlier.
Quote by Epedemic
I really don't want a Squire Strat. My friend got one for christmas and it's already been to the repair shop. Could someone say what they think about the setup I said earlier.

Right here is what you want :
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x22/70852
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-grx-70/66475
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-gsa-60/1212
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rg321-mh/67798
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-cube-15/8955
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/70525
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-micro-cube/12942
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-valve-5w/68250

Mix/Match any of them you can afford, they are all decent enough and in your price range. Well most of them
Quote by Epedemic
I have to say how good this forum is. I have been to other forums for other things and I don't think I have ever gotten this many resposes as I have on this one, especialy with an extremly over used topic. But that aside, people are again just sayin what there personal favorite guitar is and it's not really helping me out. Mabye it would be better if I named some stuff I like and people said yay or nay? So here my first set I am looking at

ESP LTD Electric Guitar

with a

Marshall MG10CD

Waddya think. I've read good reviews about he guitar. I think I held it a a local guitar store and it felt solid. Don't really know bout the amp but those unrealiable online store reviews said it was nice for a small amp.

Don't get that, the amp is truly the worst piece of music related equipment in the world, and the guitar is shit as well. I second the squier '51 and roland cube.

Also, I've played that squier, my friend has had it as his main rock guitar for 2 years now. Needless to say, your friend with the squier doesn't know how to take care of his shit.
Dickless.
Well I am goint to a Guitar Center this weekend and am going to plug in every guitar in my price range. Every body seems to have there own opinion so I guess I should form my own. Thanks for all the help
Quote by Epedemic
Well I am goint to a Guitar Center this weekend and am going to plug in every guitar in my price range. Every body seems to have there own opinion so I guess I should form my own. Thanks for all the help

what ever you do dont get a bc rich.
hahah. I know someone who just started and got a bc rich and they look like a tool. SO definatly not.
Look at some Ibanez starter packs

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Shittone i mean silvertone revolver
Cube 60

Originally Posted by sendmeapick
you pick squires over gibsons?

thats like michael jackson over jessica alba
if you can find a Drive Wildfire X2 or X3 get that. those things are rediculously low priced, and sound really good. i play mine more than i play my telecaster.
I would go with a BC Rich Mockingbird or Warlock. They are good beginner guitars. It is $200 and it comes with a practice amp. I started with the Mockingbird, and it played pretty good.
whoever said get a behringer pack is a fcking retard. even first act is better than behringer. if it says behringer on it, it's a piece of junk. use power amps as your reference. every decent power amp in the world does power for about a buck a watt. behringer does it for 50 cents, and then it either breaks or gets returned if the consumer figures out what he did before it breaks.

the mg10 is pretty bad, but still better than anything crate or behringer makes. also better than fender frontmans, and pretty much most of the solid state practice combos out there.

the BC rich bronze series warlocks are about as bad as squiers.

if you want the best crap that's out there, get an ibanez.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Last edited by Pizzapotamus at Feb 8, 2007,
There's no such thing as a "decent acoustic" under $200 either. If anything I'd say you can do better with electrics in that price range, even with the amp and accessories. Give me about 10 minutes to update this with links. I might go over the $200 cap a little with accessories but believe me it'd be worth it.

Without the Vox Pathfinder 10 I can get you a guitar and an amp at that price, but absolutely nothing else...

Here's you choices imo:

Guitar: (This is other than your Rondo Music options, which are pretty good for the $$$).

-Dean Vendetta
-Dean Evo XM
-Squire 51' (BEGS for upgrades. Could be a great guitar with a few changes)

Amp:
-Crate GTD15 (By no means 'good' but it'll get the job done for now)
-Roland Cube 15X
-Ibanez TB15R Toneblaster

Other than that you'll need a strap, picks, cable, tuner and probably an extra pack or two of strings. I'd help on those but this has really burnt me out. And there's really nothing good out there either. Damn...
Last edited by RadioMuse at Feb 8, 2007,
Page 1 of 2