Page 1 of 4
Im a huge metal fan but in the last 4 or 5 year it seemed to have died.
Everything is either nothing but screaming crap or sounds excauty like something that came out before.
A few bands out still are ok but what happened to the GOOD bands like Maiden(dont use Matter of Life and Death, i is ok but im talking about the olde Maiden), Priest, Motorhead. And what the HELL happened to Metallica
My gear
-----------------------------------------------------------
GIBSON LES PUAL STUDIO
MARSHALL 30MGDFX

other guitars
-WASHBURN ACCOUSTIC
-IBANEZ GSA 60
-BENTLY SERIS 10
There's still good music in whatever genre you like, you're just not looking hard enough.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Metallica are getting old and got lost in the whole mainstream/popular nu-metal trend. To me it seems "St. Anger" has strong nu-metal influences, I might be wrong, but that's the impression that I got when I listened to the album. I honestly don't know how someone can like nu-metal, but then again we're talking different musical taste.

I agree that recently metal has become somewhat absent, but if you can always listen to the old shit so it's not that big a deal. I'd rather have no metal than nu-metal influenced metal.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
One word. Metalcore. I'm saying that in 4 or 5 years metal will make a comeback and go back to its roots which is quite needed. I mean look at bands like Trivium or Killswitch Engage, they used to be all like "rraaaahhhhh" but now they are going back to the music that inspired them in the first place.

And if it helps you out there are new bands that sound like their old influences, Trivium = Metallica, Cellador = Iron Maiden, and I would say Valient Thorr = Motorhead.
Okay firstly

New Maiden > Old Maiden

Secondly, WE'VE ALL HAD ENOUGH OF THESE FUCKING THREADS! Metal never DIED, nor is it the "be it and end all" of music, there is MUCH BETTER music than metal. And this is coming from a huge Maiden fan.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
i agree...except for the whole metallica issue....bands change....the same thing would probably happen to most groups but they dont stay together long enough for them to evolve a little bit...obviously st anger was what the fans werent expecting but it wasnt a BAD album.....its just different...but their new song sems to be tracing back to their metallica roots...

and all this new music sucks now day except for a few exceptions...sevendust, godsmack slayer...the good bands
ooooooooh ah ah ah ah
Iced Earth, Amon Amarth, Opeth, Children of Bodom, At the Gates, The Haunted, Mastodon, Dream Theater, old In Flames, Cellador, Chrome Division, Symphony X, Lamb of God.

If you want good metal, look for it.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Last edited by IgnoreThis at Feb 7, 2007,
yea.i love metal. i listen to metallica and megadeth.
does that mean you dont like death metal?
or are you alking about hardcore and crap like that?
Quote by benenov
love is when a girl can fit both my balls in her mouth.
Quote by metaldud536
Metalcore w00t !
Melo death metal anyone ?

####core music is the reason that so much metal is becoming shite and wannabe etc.

you need to look for the good music , dig deep for it
Last edited by philipisabeast at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by IgnoreThis
Opeth, Children of Bodom, At the Gates, The Haunted, Mastodon, Dream Theater, old In Flames, Cellador, Chrome Division, Symphony X, Lamb of God.

If you want good metal, look for it.

Lamb Of God sucks, not because of the whole "z0mfg der not metle" thing, but I think they genuinely suck.
Metallica are getting old and got lost in the whole mainstream/popular nu-metal trend. To me it seems "St. Anger" has strong nu-metal influences, I might be wrong, but that's the impression that I got when I listened to the album. I honestly don't know how someone can like nu-metal, but then again we're talking different musical taste.

I agree that recently metal has become somewhat absent, but if you can always listen to the old shit so it's not that big a deal. I'd rather have no metal than nu-metal influenced metal.

+1
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Actually, Matter of Life and Death is an AWESOME album. Different style but really good. "These colors don't run" and "lord of light" are excellent songs.
Though yeah. Nothing like old school maiden, priest, dio, and osbourne
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Lamb Of God sucks, not because of the whole "z0mfg der not metle" thing, but I think they genuinely suck.

Fair enough, i know theyre metalcore, but whatever.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Meshuggah, Nevermore, Nile, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Ayreon, Haggard, Necrophagist, Neuraxis, Quo Vadis, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Edge of Sanity, Epica, Kamelot, Machine Head, Dark Tranquility, Freak Kitchen, Novembers Doom, Glory Opera? Does this lot just count for nothing then?

QFT!

Besides, it may not be so huge in America, but look to into more European bands, especially if you like power-metal.
Quote by magnus_maximus
I hope MetallicA's new LP shows the world how awesome they really are, and how crap these poseur emo bands are.

There are too many little kids here.

And this is in the wrong forum so, *reported*
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
I don't think that metal disappeared, I think it just divided itself into a bunch of little sub-genres. I think what HAS died is the basic term "heavy metal" applying to ALL metal.

From the bands he listed, I think the threadstarter should look into some power metal. That might be the genre closest to his old fashioned idea of metal. Check out Primal Fear, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian for a start.
Last edited by fimbulwinter at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by gallagher2006
Genres change as time goes past. What is it about you metal heads that means you don't understand?

Change is bad! Obviously

Quote by Superpartydude5
QFT!

Besides, it may not be so huge in America, but look to into more European bands, especially if you like power-metal.

Not talking about threadstarter, but most Americans, and even a bunch of the world, really focus on the classic sound of metal, like Maiden, and Priest, and Metallica, and Megadeth, and they hear new bands that kinda sound like them, and hear how that sound's changed, and not really like it anymore.

But there's SOOOO much better material in Europe and beyond.

Canada's a driving force on the N. American continent, Nile is a good US band, Norway, Finland, Sweden, UK (some), Germany, most of the northern countries are a pretty big driving force in metal.

Good power metal can be found just about anywhere. Europe, US, and tons of other places thrive with good power metal.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by GiantRaven
Change is bad! Obviously

If the Beatles, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones didn't "Change" music, we'd all be listening to elvis type music. All day. Every day.
Quote by metal4_themases
Im a huge metal fan but in the last 4 or 5 year it seemed to have died.
Everything is either nothing but screaming crap or sounds excauty like something that came out before.
A few bands out still are ok but what happened to the GOOD bands like Maiden(dont use Matter of Life and Death, i is ok but im talking about the olde Maiden), Priest, Motorhead. And what the HELL happened to Metallica

What happened to motorhead? they put out an album last year and it is sweet.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
Quote by gallagher2006
Genres change as time goes past. What is it about you metal heads that means you don't understand?

Yeah? Well changes aren't always necessary or an improvement.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius

So what? Change is soemthing that happens and it's not always going to fit everyones opinion.
Quote by Mad Marius

Why?

Seriously, if metal NEVER changed from it's inception, it would be SOOOOOO rehash now.

Noone can REALLY match what Sabbath did back in 1970 (if you consider that the birth of metal). Sure, people had some good tunes in that style, but after 30 years of NWOBHM, it would have gotten old, stale, and probably would have died out.

Change is always neccesary for a genre to survive. Not changing to appease people, but rather to keep it fresh, and keep you on your toes.

If rock never changed, we would have nothing but Elvis and Chuck Berry songs, which would be great, but it would become stale as well.

Hell, if music never surpassed beating rocks with sticks, and evolved to newer things, then there wouldn't be MUSIC!

Change and improvement is absolutely always neccesary.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by gallagher2006
So what? Change is soemthing that happens and it's not always going to fit everyones opinion.

So, when change affects something in a negative way, efforts should be made to reverse that change.

You get sick, that's a change, and you try to reverse it. Music made for artistic purposes (i.e. a lot of the old metal) is diseased by music made purely for commercial purposes and financial gain (i.e. today's nu-metal and shitty pop-rock), so people should try to bring music that's made for music's sake back out into the open.

Quote by fallenangel20

Change and improvement is absolutely always neccesary.

Next time you break your leg ar lose a loved one we'll talk about how necessary and how much of an improvement that change was.

Last edited by Mad Marius at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by gallagher2006
If the Beatles, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones didn't "Change" music, we'd all be listening to elvis type music. All day. Every day.

*cough*wasn't entirely being serious*cough*

I agree with you
Quote by whitebluesboy
And if it helps you out there are new bands that sound like their old influences, Trivium = Metallica, Cellador = Iron Maiden, and I would say Valient Thorr = Motorhead.

LMAO Trivium are an emo band with pointy guitars.
Personally, I don't think metal is dying at all, in fact I think it's growing and at a faster rate. Bands like Opeth are getting pretty big (in extreme metal terms).
"Genital Grinders," the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. Embodiment to join.
So, when change affects something in a negative way, efforts should be made to reverse that change.

You get sick, that's a change, and you try to reverse it. Music made for artistic purposes (i.e. a lot of the old metal) is diseased by music made purely for commercial purposes and financial gain (i.e. today's nu-metal and shitty pop-rock), so people should try to bring music that's made for music's sake back out into the open.

Next time you break your leg ar lose a loved one we'll talk about how necessary and how much of an improvement that change was.

Oh come on! Don't give me that "Metal was made to broaden artistic values" bullshit. Most metal isn't even good anyway. Metal came of the back of hard rock, and din't really improve it.

And if metal didn't change, most people wouldn't have heard of it. Especially all the whiny 14 year olds who claim "Metal is the only true music".

Absolute bullshit.
Good music of any genre is always around. You just have to know how to find it. Mastodon is a promising metal band that's pretty current, check em out?
you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
Quote by gallagher2006
Oh come on! Don't give me that "Metal was made to broaden artistic values" bullshit. Most metal isn't even good anyway. Metal came of the back of hard rock, and din't really improve it.

And if metal didn't change, most people wouldn't have heard of it. Especially all the whiny 14 year olds who claim "Metal is the only true music".

Absolute bullshit.

I never said metal shouldn't ever change and always be the same.

Quote by Mad Marius

One, never broken a limb, and family doesn't live forever.

Sure, it will be a crushing blow, but what happens, happens. I can't control what happens in the environment around me.

I would get over it.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by whitebluesboy
One word. Metalcore. I'm saying that in 4 or 5 years metal will make a comeback and go back to its roots which is quite needed. I mean look at bands like Trivium or Killswitch Engage, they used to be all like "rraaaahhhhh" but now they are going back to the music that inspired them in the first place.

yeah, but as soon as bands kick back to the old days of metal, all they'll be considered is blatant ripoffs. look at jet, they brought the authentic classic rock sound back to the mainstream. how did everyone treat them? like copycats. bands constantly evolve to avoid sounding like eachother, a backlash from that would seem stupid.

i miss old metal
I will fuc
Post BNW Maiden is as good as old Maiden IMO. Also, prog metal bands like Opeth and Dream Theater still make great music. Dragonforce is great power metal.

I don't think anything has happened to metal.

Quote by mortiis999
LMAO Trivium are an emo band with pointy guitars.

Trivium, emo?

You're an idiot.
Page 1 of 4
Recommended threads
Penance VA
COBHC728
Last post:
by fifer
Yyz
atomikpunk666
Last post:
by atomikpunk666