ok i have the book Shred is Not Dead by terry syrek, and im trying to learn some of theory in it. i kind of understand it, yet i cant really grasp it... take a Cmin7b5 for instance, it says the formula for it is 1-b3-b5-b7 (b's are flat signs). does that mean i take the 1st note of the c major scale, the flatted 3rd degree of it, the flatted 5th, and the flatted 7th and play them all together? i dont know if thats to confusing but im really working to figure this shit out

thanks
That's exactly right.

To those who don't get it, here's what that means.

You take the 1 of the C major scale, C. Then you take the 3, E, and lower it one half step to Eb. Then you take the 5, G, and lower it one half step to Gb. Then you take the 7, B, and lower it one half step to Bb. Together, those notes are C Eb Gb Bb and that is Cm7b5, also known as C half diminished.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by TheEyeOfHorus
anyone one who wants to explain this in extreme detail, please do, itll be greatly appreciated
What extreme detail? What are you talking about? You get it.
Well, you get this stuff. The only thing I can think of would be the intervals of common chords.

Major-1 3 5
Minor-1 b3 5
Dominant-1 3 5 b7
Maj7-1 3 5 7
Minor 7-1 b3 5 b7
Half Diminished-1 b3 b5 b7
Fully Diminished-1 b3 b5 bb7 (6)
Minor/Maj7-1 b3 5 7
Augmented-1 3 #5
Diminished Triad-1 b3 b5
Hendrix Chord(7 #9)-1 3 5 b7 #9

If someone wants to add to this list, please do so (and if you're a mod and want to make me look good, add to my post and make people thunk it's me).
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 7, 2007,
cool thanks, that helps, i guess i need to start memorizing those and ill be set with intervals correct?
Quote by TheEyeOfHorus
cool thanks, that helps, i guess i need to start memorizing those and ill be set with intervals correct?
Well, no. If you memorize that, you be set with common chords. To be set with intervals, read the interval section of this article.
BGC, _m7 should be 1 - b3 - 5 - b7, yours has a major seventh, and _7#9 should be 1 - 3 - 5 - b7 - #9, yours has a major seventh.