Ok so I'm writing down all of the 7 main chords in a key, in every key, so I can memorize em. I suppose I could look it up but I guess by figuring out each chord in a key by myself I'll learn it better.

Anywho, I have my key of C done (C Dm Em F G Am Bdim C) <---Someone let me kno if im right.

But now i moved onto C# and I have C# D#m Fm F# G# A#m Cdim C#. Do I have the right idea down?

Oh and one more question about minor keys. I kno major keys are WWHWWWH, but what is the pattern for minor keys?

Well and hell while I'm on the subject of chords and keys, can anyone tell me who relative major and minor keys are used?

Sorry thats alot of easy crap I kno but I'm a beginner in the whole theory world so if I could get some help I would greatly appreciate it.
Elitists and Hypocrites
Whoooooooooa! Too much work. Just remember the order of the chords.
Major key: Major, minor, minor, major, major, minor, diminished
Minor key: minor, diminished, major, minor, minor, major, major
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by CSUTremonti777
Anywho, I have my key of C done (C Dm Em F G Am Bdim C) <---Someone let me kno if im right.

Yes, you are correct.

Quote by CSUTremonti777
But now i moved onto C# and I have C# D#m Fm F# G# A#m Cdim C#. Do I have the right idea down?

No, you are incorrect.

The C# major scale is C# - D# - E# - F# - G# - A# - B#, not C# - D# - F - F# - G# - A# - C.

When you're writing scales, it is important to write them with the correct function given to each note, in a major scale that is: Root - major second - major third - perfect fourth - perfect fifth - major sixth - major seventh. Writing it the way you have gives the intervals: Root - major second - diminished fourth - perfect fourth - perfect fifth - major sixth - diminished octave.

The chords of C# Major should be..

I - C#maj
ii - D#m
iii - E#m
IV - F#maj
V - G#maj
vi - A#m
vii° - B#°

Quote by CSUTremonti777
Oh and one more question about minor keys. I kno major keys are WWHWWWH, but what is the pattern for minor keys?

WHWWHWW.
"But now i moved onto C# and I have C# D#m Fm F# G# A#m Cdim C#. Do I have the right idea down?"

not exactly, it would actually be written as....

C#, D#m, E#, F#m, G#, A#m, B#dim minor, C#

the reason being, when writing out keys like this you use 1 of each letter, we both know that E# is enharmonic to F, but the function of E# in this sense is not the same as F (same as with B# and C)

and realistically i would call this Db major and spell it out

Db, Ebm, F, Gbm, Ab, Bbm, C dim minor
Quote by Johnljones7443

No, you are incorrect.

The C# major scale is C# - D# - E# - F# - G# - A# - B#, not C# - D# - F - F# - G# - A# - C.

When you're writing scales, it is important to write them with the correct function given to each note, in a major scale that is: Root - major second - major third - perfect fourth - perfect fifth - major sixth - major seventh. Writing it the way you have gives the intervals: Root - major second - diminished fourth - perfect fourth - perfect fifth - major sixth - diminished octave.

The chords of C# Major should be..

I - C#maj
ii - D#m
iii - E#m
IV - F#maj
V - G#maj
vi - A#m
vii° - B#°

WHWWHWW.

Well I know the scale would have the E# and the B#. But just for the chords in the key of C# would they not be Fm for the iii chord and Cdim for the vii chord based on enharmonics?

Quote by z4twenny
"But now i moved onto C# and I have C# D#m Fm F# G# A#m Cdim C#. Do I have the right idea down?"

not exactly, it would actually be written as....

C#, D#m, E#, F#m, G#, A#m, B#dim minor, C#

the reason being, when writing out keys like this you use 1 of each letter, we both know that E# is enharmonic to F, but the function of E# in this sense is not the same as F (same as with B# and C)

and realistically i would call this Db major and spell it out

Db, Ebm, F, Gbm, Ab, Bbm, C dim minor

Well heres another question now, when I notate the vii chord as dim, is that really diminished minor or is there a difference between diminished and diminished minor.

And for scale writing purposes I agree that Db is easier, but it just seems like flat chords arent really denoted in much of the guitar music I've found, so I actually wouldnt mind learning it the "more difficult" way with sharps since thats how most chords are defined that I've found.
Elitists and Hypocrites
E# minor isn't the same as Fm. Sure, they sound the same, but they have two different functions.

And there isn't any "diminished minor", it's just diminished.
Quote by yawn
E# minor isn't the same as Fm. Sure, they sound the same, but they have two different functions.

And there isn't any "diminished minor", it's just diminished.

But if I were to play an E#m chord I would think "Ok how do I play an E#m" I would just play Fm correct? Or is there some way to play an E#m that I am not aware of.

I do understand that E#m and Fm serve different function, but in the case of actual playing on a guitar would I be wrong in playing an Fm where there should be an E#m and a Cdim where there would be a B#dim?
Elitists and Hypocrites
^ The notes are exactly the same. So if it helps you to think of the enharmonic chord when playing it, go ahead. But in terms of what you call it, you want to avoid naming it something outside of the diatonic scale.
i heard that the enharmonic and dodecaphonic (was it the word?) notes have a comma of difference and violinists play them different :p just a stupid remark
-Jackson KE-2 (made in 1985)
with dimarzio paf pro bridge evoltion neck

-ESP SV standard white

-digitech gnx 1

-audigy 2 zs :p
Quote by tashaklikedi
i heard that the enharmonic and dodecaphonic (was it the word?) notes have a comma of difference and violinists play them different :p just a stupid remark
A comma of difference? Dodecaphonic? What??
well i m not sure lol i saw something like that in a solfege book but i really don t know if i understood it :p anyway it doesnt make a difference lol
-Jackson KE-2 (made in 1985)
with dimarzio paf pro bridge evoltion neck

-ESP SV standard white

-digitech gnx 1

-audigy 2 zs :p