I may be interested in building my 1st guitar but I have no idea how to do it and how much it costs, etc.

How much would it cost? Do I need any special tools? Where can I buy the parts? Where to start and after that, what to do? How much time can it take for building it? Which parts are the best for me??

That is for an electric guitar... I'd want to have 24frets, a locking tremolo (floydrose,kahler, etc.) and a good bridge humbucker pickup (for all kinds of metal) with a single coil neck pickup (for clean parts)... I'd probably want to have in a V shape or something like that... or like an "Ibanez shape"... or maybe a shape like this link....

Anyone can give me some tips and help me??? thanks!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by hurlyz
I may be interested in building my 1st guitar but I have no idea how to do it and how much it costs, etc.

How much would it cost? Do I need any special tools? Where can I buy the parts? Where to start and after that, what to do? How much time can it take for building it? Which parts are the best for me??

That is for an electric guitar... I'd want to have 24frets, a locking tremolo (floydrose,kahler, etc.) and a good bridge humbucker pickup (for all kinds of metal) with a single coil neck pickup (for clean parts)... I'd probably want to have in a V shape or something like that... or like an "Ibanez shape"... or maybe a shape like this link....

Anyone can give me some tips and help me??? thanks!

Hey hurlyz great to see a fellow montrealer. Im in the west island you? Anyways, im building a guitar too. If you are on a budge I best reccomend you to buy from Guitarfetish.com because they are great value. The cost of a guitar depends. im building a Telecaster, on the budget side but im also buying a Warmoth neck which is expesnsive, and my total cost is going to near about $500 CND including everything like paint and parts. im buying from guitar fetish. If you cante get shipped stuff, then steves has some decent priced stuff. Also Archabealt (Berri Uquam Metro) has a custom/repair shop and I saw them selling some guitar and bass bodies there for under a hundred dollars aI think. and if you wanna make the guitar and buy a neck, the other day I saw they had a Jackson neck there for a decent price I forgot though. all its missing is the roller nut. They also sell some fender sized necks tehre I think for around 80 canadian. Anyways if you need any help ill be glad to help lmao. Please though reply maybe we can help each other out since where both from montreal.
On the ESP website you can download forms in .pdf format for a quote from them. Fax it to them and then they'll send you in a price for your specs.
Here's a list of ten guitar building resources I put together. You'll find links to various sources including books, sites with tutorials, a couple of important vendors, etc. I would recommend starting with a book on guitar building. It's the fastest way to get up to speed on all the basic questions and answers - materials, rough costs, tools, etc. However, taking a look at some of the tutorials will give you some idea as well.

What you'll need is ultimately dependent on your specs for the guitar and how much of it you want to build yourself. For example, for my first guitar build, I decided to focus on building the body and chose to purchase the neck. You might opt to build both or choose to purchase ready made parts and assemble it yourself. Your choices will drastically impact your costs.

Regards,

Rob
Last edited by ririzarry at Apr 7, 2007,
haha thanks a lot Thewongster... I'm a french montrealer and actually I live in a montreal suburb (10min in car) but anyways.... I'll go check at Archaumbault for sure... I often go to the Laval one so I bet they have custom parts too... and I'll check on guitarfetish.com

Thanks!

Btw, a few questions still weren't answered:

1) Do I need any special tools?
2) What to start with and after that, what to do?
3)How much time can it take for building it?

@thewongster : oh and hmm... do you have msn? it could be fun to chat over there!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

haha MonsterOfRock and ririzarry were faster than me

@MonsterOfRock : thanks a lot... it helped me see what kind of choices I'll have to make but it says it takes MINIMUM 8months to get it so that's a bit long :S
and I wanted to build it myself... for the pride, not only for getting a custom guitar (although if it wasn't 8months I'd probably want one :P)

@ririzarry : thanks for the ressource sites.. ill check them out! and I just understood that some parts can be found "pre-made" so I'll probably get some premades parts and some parts I'll make myself and get it all together... I was afraid of having to shape the body and route it and all that... I'm not very good at that kind of stuff

Quote by Resiliance

Quote by hurlyz
thanks for the ressource sites.. ill check them out! and I just understood that some parts can be found "pre-made" so I'll probably get some premades parts and some parts I'll make myself and get it all together... I was afraid of having to shape the body and route it and all that... I'm not very good at that kind of stuff

np. I'm glad to help. I included several vendors on the list that I think give a good idea as to what's out there. Of course, there are tons of potential sources for all this stuff but these give you awareness as to some of what's possible.

Regards,

Rob
ummm at the top of this forum is a very usfeul sticky called "getting started on customizing" or something like that

plus for first timers, a kit may be a good idea. If not, the pricy but much easier warmoth.com is always availible
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
hey hurlyz, im also trying to build a custom guitar, i heard alot of good things about guitarfetish too, and if you're on a budget they're really cheap compared to, lets say warmoth or stewmac. Also i suggest you check steves and archambault, i dunno if steves have any parts but they're pretty cheap, i buy from them all the time.

And projectguitar.com really helped me, since i want to do absolutely everything by myself ( except like winding the pickups and stuff).

As for the tools, the STRICT minimum is

Bandsaw (very very helpful)
Belt sander
Drillpress
hand drill
router
table router (not required but a lot useful.)
table saw
chisels and other wood carving tools (mainly for inlays)
dremel
and of course basic tools like rubber mallets, sand paper, etc

thanks to mascot for the list.

As for parts, i heard alot of good things about EMG active pickups, and that's what i plan to put on my guitar. I dont know bout the single coil tough.

Also, i highly suggest you do a neck-thru guitar, this is a guitar where the neck extend the whole length of the body, and each side of the body is pasted on the neck, it must be alot easier to do then routing a neck pocket and all that shizzle. You also get increased sustain and i think better playability on the higher frets.

Hope that helps

peace
hehe, np man. and yea, the more involvment u have with building it, the more 'Baby' it is to u, lol.
I was going to say..

"First guitar? Make an Saga kit first. Finishing (at least to me) was extremely frustrating the first time around, and if I were to do it again, it would be 10 times easier."

Then I saw your specs. Good luck with the build, and post pics!
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by flyingsquirrel

Belt sander
Drillpress
hand drill
router
table saw
dremel

Sorry , but I have to disagree with this "STRICT minimum" list. It depends on what you're doing as well as how creative you are with existing tools. For example, I didn't use a bandsaw - I used a jigsaw. It's a much more common tool. I borrowed my friends'. A bandsaw would be nicer but you can do without.

I did without a belt sander. I managed with hand sanding and a 1/4 sheet sander. I didn't need a Dremel either.

And, you don't need both a router and a table router. A hand held router can be mounted in a small router table. I made my own table for about $20 in material. I do recommend using a table mounted router.

This is why I suggested starting with a good overview of building (there are several good books on it) and a clear set of goals. That will help determine what you really need in terms of tools and what your costs will be.

Regards,

Rob
Quote by rafarquhar
I was going to say..

"First guitar? Make an Saga kit first. Finishing (at least to me) was extremely frustrating the first time around, and if I were to do it again, it would be 10 times easier."

Then I saw your specs. Good luck with the build, and post pics!
well it would be for the fun of building a guitar but I want it to be nice and sound good too... or if it's only for building a guitar and it's not very "good", then it shouldn't be very expensive cause I wanna keep my cash for getting myself a better guitar

But where can I get that kind of "premade kits" ?? and what's inside??

Quote by flyingsquirrel

Belt sander
Drillpress
hand drill
router
table saw
dremel
I have nothing out of that... and most of them I can't even get it cause I live in appartment... so I'll have to buy premade parts and put them together I guess..

Quote by Resiliance

Quote by hurlyz
I have nothing out of that... and most of them I can't even get it cause I live in appartment... so I'll have to buy premade parts and put them together I guess..

One builder I know is building his guitar at a local community college. You may want to look around for similar resources in your area. There's always more than one way to go about a thing...

Regards,

Rob