Im looking for a tube half stack for around 1500 dollars. I play oasis/interpol/red hot chili peppers type music. I dont need great cleans since I never play clean theres always slight distortion. But I want to be able to have great hard rock distortion aswell. Any suggetions?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Hmm sir you have a bit of a dlilema here, you might be able to find a JCM800 for about that.. but I say check Ebay, an aronage rcker 30 with a 2X12 would do what your talkin about well... I dunno look at ebay, check out Trayno ombos too they are faily decne4t middle ground for cleans and dirt.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
alright well the 800 has one channel right? So Lets say I want to go from slight distorted to quite a bit of distortion mid song? I have to have the amp on slight distortion then I have to turn on a distortion pedal? I mean like the jcm 800 has such good distortortion, so why should i like 'waste' it by using a distortion pedal instead
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Last edited by The Iron Man at Feb 7, 2007,
Buy a cab form avatar (about 300-400 bucks) then use rest for a head.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
hmm, do you guys think half stacks have any advantages over combo amps?
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by The Iron Man
hmm, do you guys think half stacks have any advantages over combo amps?

louder
and more headroom but that really depends on the wattage
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
yeah they do, they project sound better, are easier to fix, and the tubes wont rattel as much when you play loud which sounds better and makes the tubes last longer.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Im actually leaning towards the orange rocker 30 head now. I guess ill go to the shop and try one out then.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
^goodman^
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Yup, the rocker 30 is a real good amp, you won't regret it. But you should also look into the jcm 800 some time, if you wish.

Good luck to you then.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
holy crap I just realised this will cost me a fortune.

Orange rocker 30 head: 1400 canadian
orange cab 2x12: 980 canadian
-------------------------------------
this will cost me 2710 canadian dollars with tax. Damn, maybe I should get the combo. its not even a 4x12 cab.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Carvin Legacy perhaps, i quite like it. Its made specifically for Steve Vai, or either try the v3, both are amazing amps.
Get a JCM800 2 channel. 2210 or 2205 model (difference is just wattage, 100 or 50)

You can get a half stack for around 1300-1500 on ebay. Basically the 1st channel is an early breakup kinda distortion perfect for rhythm (or clean if you turn the channel volume down and crank the master). then the 2nd channel is boosted for lead and heavier stuff.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
JCM800, 900 or (different flavour, but same styles) an Orange Rocker or AD.

And why do you need a half stack? Just get a combo.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
he can afford a good halfstack pretty easily, and half stacks vastly out perform combos for the reasons i mentioned above.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I just meant get a combo if you can't afford the head and cab 'coz the combos are usually cheaper, but if you can afford them, go for it.
Don't be afraid to care"

I just dont want to regret buying a combo later on when I have unlimited funds. I guess I could just hook my combo up to a cab...
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Laugh....Yeah, for a while I had my Vox Pathfinder hooked up to a Marshall Cab. It Really rocked, but still not that loud. If you like VOX, go for a VOX AC30 Head with that cab, it will run you around 1,300.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by R_H_C_P
I just meant get a combo if you can't afford the head and cab 'coz the combos are usually cheaper, but if you can afford them, go for it.

+1
I find the orange combos and head+cab to be oddly attractive

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^I know, I honestly think Oranges are the best lookin' amps.
Don't be afraid to care"

well yeah, they are, but a big part of that's their color.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
*Claps slowly*

haha
Don't be afraid to care"

As soon as I find an head/cabinet/combo in white trim with metallic black hardware, I'll be sold.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Id love triple recto with solid flat black diamond plate casing, and a flame maple face plate, in dark blue,with the mesa frong grill a bit bigger so you can see the tubes glow when the stag is dark... and all the knobs to look like these..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Pack-of-4-Graveyard-Skull-Speed-Knobs-?sku=420971

Those bad boys are going on my SG... and if I can get it, a flat black diamond plate pickguard, and im putting emg's in it, and WOW what a ramble...
Mail Goes here.

you guys think the combo's are good bang for the buck? I was talking to someone and they said 2 things

-a lot of it is paying for the name
-why are you paying so much for only 30 watts
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
^Well, I'm just saying from past experiences with tube amps (f-30) that 30 watts is ALOT. I almost bled out my ears just to top another level on the master volume, it sounded so nice.

As for the name, aren't you doing that with everything these days?

Another thing, if you can afford half stacks, go ahead and purchase it.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
An honest question here.

If you connect an orange rocker 30 combo to a orange 2x12 cabinet, will it have a simliar fullness to the half stack? Kind of a redundant question as asked above, but does it?

I don't think I can afford getting a orange half stack either (they'll run me up near 2k USD and I can only afford 1,000-1,400 right now). I just don't want to regret it either.

aye, i'm worrying too much. I think i'm comming to a realization that I don't need a half stack...at all; plays at home, plays gigs up to 300-400 people, band practice, don't need 234234 tube wattage.

*shakes*

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Feb 10, 2007,
Quote by Jinskee
An honest question here.

If you connect an orange rocker 30 combo to a orange 2x12 cabinet, will it have a simliar fullness to the half stack? Kind of a redundant question as asked above, but does it?

I don't think I can afford getting a orange half stack either (they'll run me up near 2k USD and I can only afford 1,000-1,400 right now). I just don't want to regret it either.

aye, i'm worrying too much. I think i'm comming to a realization that I don't need a half stack...at all; plays at home, plays gigs up to 300-400 people, band practice, don't need 234234 tube wattage.

*shakes*

You can get a Rocker 30 combo now, and later down the line you can buy an orange 2x12. You don't have to buy it all at once.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
^Indeed.
Don't be afraid to care"