Hey i wanted to know is it better to have a power amp thats capable of producing more power than your speakers or one thats matched exactly to your speakers, because ive been told two different things.

One person has said they'd recomend getting a power amp thats capable of producing twice the power of the speakers to make sure you have the headroom you'd need e.g power amp 1000 Watts into 8 Ohms and speakers 500 watts at 8ohms.

The other person said if you put 1000 watts into a 500 watt speaker youll over drive it and destroy it which of these is the correct one becuase i have no idea.
^ If you're talking car audio, then going over a few watts is fine. If you're talking a PA system, showing a speaker twice the power its rated for will make it fail quickly. The first person you spoke to is an absolute idiot.
Hi, I'm Peter
no im tlakin full pa system not a car system see i donno it would seem to me that if you put 100 watts into a 500 watt speaker that it would blow but i was told to overpower it by a reputable source but i donno ive blown one pa speaker in my life so far and id quite like to never repeat the process
i have been rigging PAs for about 5 years now. and if anyone ever said to rig a poweramp with more power than the speakers can handle i would slap them.

the speakers power rating says how much RMS power they can handle before they blow.

NEVER put 1000w into a 500w cab. because it will destroy your speakers and cost you more money
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
You can overpower a speaker a little, but not by twice the rating. You can also damage a speaker by giving it too little power. You want to basically match the output of the amp with the power rating of the speaker, or as close to it as possible.
Hi, I'm Peter
right well ehres my situation i have i have a shitty power behinger desk the pm4000 i think it has 400 watts of a power amp i have 2 speakers which only say 500 watt rms at the back, is it safe to use these speakers and poweramp/desk together
right well heres my situation i have i have a shitty power behinger desk the pm4000 i think it has 400 watts of a power amp i have 2 speakers which only say 500 watt rms at the back, is it safe to use these speakers and poweramp/desk together
yes that is perfectly safe.

if it was the other way round i would suggest getting different speakers
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101