The next gen iPods will have flash memory, instead of hard disk drive memory. Good? Bad? Excited? No? Pros, cons, what do you all think?
Mine already does?
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
it depends...how much storage?
flash is cool because you can drop it and have less damage risk, but hard drives hold more
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
im sure apple knows what they're doing. the hard drive can break easier because it has moving parts. if theyve figured out a 100gb flash card that is tiny go for it, longer battery life would be a plus too...
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Fat Strat
Fender American Telecaster
Taylor 714ce
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Champion 300
Macbook Pro
Flash drive's are better because theres no moving parts,
Only downside is that with flash drives, once its been wiped, everythings gone, where as on a harddrive its physically still there. So it will be easier to loose all your music tracks on a flash drive.
Read the article. More battery life, and not just 1 or 2 gigs. Come on!! (Arrested developement quote. Mention if you get it.)
Flash drives can get up to 32 GB as of now. It's probably going to cost much more, though.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Griever988
Does everyone here use ipods because everyone else has one?

they probably use them because they're kick ass music players.

****in expensive though.
I am the Infantry.
Quote by NewYorkYankee
Here's the article.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2476
Haha oh, and in NY they're going to ban using ipods while crossing the streets.

So yeah... pretty crazy..

Where i live you cant legally listen to music while walking on a sidewalk or side of the road or while driving a bike but my dads a cop and he thinks its ****in retarded so he wont bust people for it. I do it anyway and i would even my dad wasnt a cop
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Griever988
but thats why you have the saved on your comps HD....

well how long does 30 gig of songs take to transfer *hours*, also on my creative it has a reset button , when you press it , it resets the whole thing and then scans for all your music on the HDD, something a flash drive won't be able to do if it ****s up because on a flash once its gone, its gone.
Quote by Griever988
flash= thinner pods ..but Ipods suck...Z5 FTW

I want one of those, i heard they have crazy battery life, great sound quality, it sucks they dont make them anymore. Im gonna try to find one at a bestbuy somewhere if they still carry them. My creatize zen microphoto always gets screwed up when i bump it sooo i need a more reliable one.

^ to sixstringsteve, 8 gigabyte mp3 players are not uncommon, and 8 gigs is more than enough for like 99.9 repeating % of people.

Flash drives are the future dudezzzzzz
About the costing more, it costs more for them, not us. At least not much more. They said it's worth making the change because they're focusing on the consumers.
Quote by vegetoe01
well how long does 30 gig of songs take to transfer *hours*, also on my creative it has a reset button , when you press it , it resets the whole thing and then scans for all your music on the HDD, something a flash drive won't be able to do if it ****s up because on a flash once its gone, its gone.

Well...I dunno if you're reset does the same things it supposed to but on my Samsung Z5 you just reset and everything is still there no harm done...maybe its just the mp3 player differences
well the current nanos are all flash anyways. going no hard drive would be less headache... less freezeups and potential for damage... but who the hell would buy an ipod.. i know i wouldnt. maybe its cuz i work at futureshop and people bring malfunctioning ipods in like their ding laundry. if you want something good get a creative or a sandisk or iriver
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by Tedward
I want one of those, i heard they have crazy battery life, great sound quality, it sucks they dont make them anymore. Im gonna try to find one at a bestbuy somewhere if they still carry them. My creatize zen microphoto always gets screwed up when i bump it sooo i need a more reliable one.

^ to sixstringsteve, 8 gigabyte mp3 players are not uncommon, and 8 gigs is more than enough for like 99.9 repeating % of people.

Flash drives are the future dudezzzzzz

Oh yeah those Z5's are one hell of a mp3, it has about 44 something hours of battery life, and real good audio quality, and the fact that it has an aluminum body...until Apple decided to do that with theirs too after. Get one off ebay I got a 4 gig one for 80 bucks practically brand spanking new
flash memory is faster too- faster start-up, song loads, etc.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
I'm happy with my PSP.

Ipods can suck my left nut. (Overpriced pieces of shit)
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
You should have taken this to the ONLY iPod Thread
Quote by Sagdiyev
This man's an anal masturbator, he knows what he's talking about.
Why are you asking the iPod users this? Do you think we're gonna throw out our current iPod 'cause the new one is better? If you're that much of a trend *****, then you don't deserve to live.

I mean seriously, I have the new shuffle, and it's thin enough for me. When it comes unclipped, I walk around with it dangling, being supported by my ears and the inside of my shirts. That thing seriously weighs nothing.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Hey I don't even have one. (I traded it.) I just thought it was interesting, and there are tons of people just waiting to get new ipods even though they already have a current one.
you know what pisses me off? how they give you no choice but to buy a video ipod to hold all your music, so that all the fucking batteries get drained from powering that huge ass screen that you don't even want anyway.
Quote by Zuka
... What does this mean?

not a hard drive
more space=less size

and they wont crash
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
well i guess the largest flash drive buyable right now is 64 GB. thats plently of space. BUT!!! the current price for a 64GB Kanguru Flash Drive is about... $629.95!! so mabey in a couple years apple will completely replace there hard drive ipods with flash... who knows.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Stratocaster
Taylor 210 Dreadnought Acoustic
Bogner Alchemist 40w 212 Tube combo
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
flash = faster response than hard drives, i was browsing through my friends ipod and it was laggy as hell
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive