So, as the title says, would the Roland cube 30x be good for my very first guitar amp or is it overkill?
no that would be perfect.

what style of music do you play because cubes are excellent for metal/hard rock, but not as good for cleans as the vox modeling amps
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
no that would be perfect.

what style of music do you play because cubes are excellent for metal/hard rock, but not as good for cleans as the vox modeling amps

I pretty much want to play all metal and I'm not all that picky about the sound of cleans, so I guess its a good fit.
yes definetly get the cube then. they are basically the best practice amps around
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
yes definetly get the cube then. they are basically the best practice amps around

so I should go with the 30x and not the 20x then? I really think I would appreciate the r-fier setting on the 30. I don't particularly need the extra wattage, but I dunno..I mihgt like it. I have never played anything except a crummy 10W amp. What do you think?
Very appropriate. Get the 30x.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
thanks everyone for your input. I bought it I'm sure I will be beyond impressed...It doesn't even take much to please me.
Yea you will be.

The 30x is pretty much the best thing i've bought
Quote by dennmetal
RB cam RB speaks truth.
the cubes are absurd amounts of fun for the prices they pretty much give em away at. i think its a 10" in the 30 too and it still sounds pretty darn tight
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Get the normal Cube 60. the extra features on the X series are just gimmicks. And the 60 wil sound fine at low volumes or high.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Get the normal cube 30, the 60 might be a bit too loud, since it's his first amp, he won't be gigging anytime soon.

The normal cube 30 is cheaper.
It can last you a long long time, really.
Check the Roland site using this link to compare the features of each Cube amp. For example the 20X features overdrive/distortion stompbox models and the 30X features amp models. I wouldn't get the 15/15X though, only because it lacks any reverb.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=57
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return