I posted a similar thread a few months ago but got no replies. This summer my family is having a family reunion at Put-In-Bay and I want to bring a little (less than 15 watts) amp with me to practice and maybe play some songs for them. I can't play a ton now, but by the time we are going I will probably be playing lots of stuff other than the songs my teacher is teaching me. I like anything in the rock genre, but my main focus is metal (Pantera, Metallica, Opeth, Sabbath, and I know they're not technically metal, but Mushroomhead, SOAD, Tool etc.) so I wnat the amp to be able to do those in addition to classic rock stuff, as I don't think my 50-70 year old aunts and uncles like metal much(except for one really cool one).

The Roland micro cube seems to be a perfect fit, as I could take it where ever and play it with batteries, but it only has one tone knob. So I guess I'd just have to play around with the settings. The other I saw was the Vox DA5. It also only has a tone knob. If neither of those there's also the Cube 20X, but I couldn't just take it anywhere. What are your guys' opinion on this? Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to say that my normal amp is a Peavey Valveking 112.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Last edited by Xeroxed at Feb 7, 2007,
go for the cube. simple as. they are perfect for metal
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
If you could afford one, the Orange Tiny Terror is kickass!! 7 or 15 wats switchable, other than that the VOX AD15VT is a good choice.
The problem with the Tiny Terror is that it's $450-$500, and you'd need a cab too. A good 1x12" cab is $200...$700 is a little steep for a family reunion. I'd go with a Vox AD15VT. I have one...it can't go ANYWHERE, persay, but it's a good set up for practice and SMALL gigs. (like coffee house things) If that's too big, go with the small Roland Cube, and just play with your volume and tone settings on your guitar.
Yeah, I don't want to spend that much, and since I'll be taking it with me I don't want it to be too big. Someone had a clip that was played through the micro cube, I think it was a Metallica song, does anybody know where it is or any other good songs? Thanks.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Roland Micro Cube
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
I played the DA5 with the cube also and I thought it was great, both are good and I assume the cube would be a bit heavier sound wise, so yeah DA5 was also good. IMO
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
So I got two recommendations for the micro cube, one for the Vox DA5, one for the Pignose 7-100 (doesn't seem like it'd do metal well, though), and two for the AD15VT. Does anybody have any expeirience that will help me to decide? Thanks.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Roland Micro Cube
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
I was going to scream "Epiphone Valve Junior Combo!"

But I highly doubt that would be good for metal.

EDIT: And not battery powered.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Last edited by rafarquhar at Feb 8, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
I like my Pignose 7-100. Does classic rock awesomely. It's only 5 watts, but it's pretty damn loud. Goes for cheap, too. I see em going for like 70-90 bucks on eBay.

Mine was 12 at a flea market, n0oB. it's nearly minty fresh.

Seriosly, buy one.

and forsaknazrael, would you like to join the club?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I like my Pignose 7-100. Does classic rock awesomely. It's only 5 watts, but it's pretty damn loud. Goes for cheap, too. I see em going for like 70-90 bucks on eBay.

I picked mine up on eBay for $30, with the adapter.

I ditto the Pignose actually. That thing can really take a beating. Plus, I put my muff in front of it and it can definetly do metal. Not crunchy metal but your typical crappy sounding solid state metal. And it fits perfectly in a backpack (and throw in some travel games and a laptop). Where as the DA5, it'd still weird if you put anything in with it.

If you're into the battery powered range there's also:
Smokey
Those mini Fender/Marshalls
If they're talking over your playing, they probably can't hear you though.

Lovepedal (not sure if they still make them) is actually pretty loud.
Wow, nice snag, both of you guys.
Yeah, I agree...the Pignose would accept pedals more than the DA5 or the MicroCube. It takes my overdrive pretty nicely. I don't have a distortion pedal, so I can't speak for using one to do metal.

If you get a smokey, get the Hi-Gain Smokey. That'll be more likely to be able to do metal.
You could mod a Ruby for more gain, couldn't you? And then the TS can build it himself!
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I'd recommend the microcube in this case.
otherwise just buy one of those Marshall mini amps which look like stacks, but much less impressive.
Those work well too, although they won't sound too good, unless you fancy the sound of square clipping.
I think I'll get the micro-cube as it seems like it's ready for metal as it is. I might try a Fish and chips EQ on it (I want one anyway) and see how that affects it. If I don't need it or like the way the two sound together I'll jsut keep it for my Valveking. The Pignose does seem really cool, and making a Ruby would be cool (I've wanted to make and amp), but I'm not very experienced with electronics and the MC just seems to fit well. I'll probably end up buying msot of the stuff mentiond here in the future as I'm a gear geek. Thanks.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Roland Micro Cube
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+