Oooohk, My friend has just asked me to write the main theme for his mini Videogame project hes working on in his spare time, Specifically the main title theme. And the only description he has given me is he wants a "serious and epic sounding piece", so to do that, could you give me any suggestions on maybe what key, mode, chords, etc might sound appropriate? Or just give me feedback and advice overall, thanks
Brad Delp - June 12, 1951 to March 9, 2007 R.I.P
I usually think of epic as some kind of dark, minor progression. I like Aeolian mixed with harmonic minor, really, just the typical Am G F E type of progression.

You should download some tabs of movie and videogame scores. Some analysis of those should help.
lots of accidentals

like, in a chord..it's hard to explain. sounds epic though.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

hmm...so ive picked the chord progression of Am C F G, now what would be a good key to solo over that in?
Quote by Deja_Vu
hmm...so ive picked the chord progression of Am C F G, now what would be a good key to solo over that in?
A minor, of course.

You'll want to do much more than just solo over a chord progression. A good score will have several themes and melodies and progressions.
Yeah I know, Im writing the main part in Guitar Pro, and ive got string sections and stuff going on too, and im thinking of adding a piano as well....My god this is so much harder than writing simple 3 chord pop/rock songs -_-(which is what im used to)
Not always a minor sound. Listen to alot of movie main themes- they go from a subdued, sad-ish sound to a very major sound, not necessarily a happy sound, but a sort of "breathtaking" feel.
Epic can be translated into dynamic, meaning changing. Use changes in your writing, go from a quiet and slow solo over a quiet piano to a full blown electric guitar at full volume. I suggest listening to the halo2 theme, paschendale by maiden (pay attention to the quiet part before the solo, when the guitars come in again) see what I mean?
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.