Hey,

I have been playing like blink songs and green day and some oldies: stairway to heaven, hells bells. Im like 14 and have like 3 hours a day to practice, but have gotten far (hopefully) What else do u suggest for me to play. I dont like the emo or screamo music.
Last edited by Me Iz Cul at Feb 7, 2007,
Man play what you want... whats the point in copying others music? where will that get you? It honestly sounds to me like a waste of time that could have been used to make your own songs, wouldn't that kick waayyyy more ass anyways? Some dude comes and listens and asks whos that by and you can say its yours.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Man play what you want... whats the point in copying others music? where will that get you? It honestly sounds to me like a waste of time that could have been used to make your own songs, wouldn't that kick waayyyy more ass anyways? Some dude comes and listens and asks whos that by and you can say its yours.

I keep hearing this on UG, that learning other people's songs is a waste of time. How is a 14 year old who is new at guitar going to know how to write good songs without first learning how to play other people's stuff? Is everyone here so bursting with originality that they have nothing to learn from other people?
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Feb 8, 2007,
ive been playing for 4 months and i got no idea how to amke a good riff or write a song i play blink songs too thats great try smells like teen spirit (thats a really good one) and mybe some red hot chilli peppers songs their quite intermediate/novice well i dunno im new to so yeah
Dude, learn whatever it is that turns you on in music. Don't learn "Johnny B Good" just 'cause someone says that's one of the greatest songs written.
As far as writing originals goes, if you're new to the guitar don't even think about it if you're not ready.
I've been playing for 16 years, and just now I've begun writing original songs with my new band. That doesn't mean I haven't had ideas before that, but I didn't think the time was right with my other bands. When I got ideas, I recorded them and stored them away. I found a few that I had when I had been playing for three years. Man, what a mess!! But because I saved them, we had alot of ideas to work off of. (The really early stuff never got to them...way too embarrassing).
You wanna learn covers?? You go right ahead. It's your gear and your desire...do what YOU want with it.