Hey,
I was wondering what a volume pot is on an amp? I have a solid state crate gx-212.
How can I check its connection because I think this might be having a problem?
If you don't know what a volume pot is, then you are in no way experienced enough to tell if something's wrong with the inside of an amp. Go take it to a tech.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Thanks Pacifica,
Will Minus, I came here to get help, not to be bashed for how much I know. I asked that for the slight chance it could be something I could fix w/o knowing much.
Quote by jtrouty
Thanks Pacifica,
Will Minus, I came here to get help, not to be bashed for how much I know. I asked that for the slight chance it could be something I could fix w/o knowing much.

No problem.
Messing around with the insides of amps is certainly not ment for anyone relativly nonexperienced to do with confidence. If you don't believe me, you'll open up your amp and find a complex circuit board and some wires. Your best bet would be to look for wires that go nowhere, or things that look broken.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

He may just want the impedance which i am sure you can tell him.

But he is right, don't do anything until you discharge the caps.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
The easiest thing to do is check for anything that is obviously broken. If you're sure it is the pot, you can read the values for it off the back of the pot and just replace it yourself.

On another note, do you have to discharge the caps in SS amps? Kerry wasn't sure when I asked him last. I'm thinking as you're not working with the same voltages as tube amps it's not as much of a problem.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Will_Minus is quite right, no offense. And yeah, it's not near as much of a problem as with tube amps, but to be safe discharge anything that you think may have high voltage.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Well guys,
I decided not to take your advice and open up it up anyway. I'm too cheap to spend money on techs. The problem was a bad soldering on a cylinder shaped black thing that kind of looks like D size Battery. I rigged it up and the amp works good now, even though its a piece of crap.
thanks guys
Someone voided their warrenty. You soldered something that you had no idea what it was, that wasn't very smart.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

That's the same kind of approach I had to repairing the vehicles when I worked in Legoland... I opened things up, looked for something that looked awry and just got solderin'. Every now and then they'd fall off the tracks and a component got dislodged or smashed, so I just rumamged through some drawers and found something that looked similar and soldered that onto the circuitboard. I never guessed it wrong, by the way.
Quote by jtrouty
Well guys,
I decided not to take your advice and open up it up anyway. I'm too cheap to spend money on techs. The problem was a bad soldering on a cylinder shaped black thing that kind of looks like D size Battery. I rigged it up and the amp works good now, even though its a piece of crap.
thanks guys

If the thing's a piece of crap, does it really matter if he voided warranty lol?
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'