Hey all, I've been looking into getting a new guitar. I have about $400 - $500 to spend on it and I have always wanted a Strat. I really like the color and style and everything about this guitar except the $1686.99 pricetag: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/StratCCVSBT--Main

I was wondering if there was another guitar like this one preferably the same color or another color that is pretty cool...maybe red or something (but not like pure red) out there for around $400 or $500 bucks? Thanks for the help...I really need it.
That's around $600, but you'll be able to get the same guitar cheaper in America.

Take a look around, but Fender Mexican Strat seems to me to be what you're after.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.013-4600-387

keep in mind this is a C neck, not V.

and different pickups, hardware, bridge, tuners...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thanks for the help guys...i like the one you suggested jj but what is a C neck (or a V neck for that matter)? and how about this guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597 does anyone know if that's any good? I know it's a bit more expensive and not at all the same color but I really think it might be alright but what do I know...

those are the necks. hang on let me look at ur link.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i like player deluxe strats cause i prefer the s-1 switching and hardware.

my 62' MIA is actually a players deluxe. but, i swapped off the tortoise guard. looks ok on the sunburts tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hmm...i don't think i'd like the hard-v at all actually, i think i'm more of a C kinda guy. do you know what the player deluxe is as far as neck style goes? also it says that it is a 12'' neck radius. is that a really big neck or is it smaller or am i totally off on this question? anything else you can tell me about this guitar or your player deluxe if it has anything to do with the one I'm looking at? thanks jj
the sweet thing about the deluxe, and unless stated the neck is usually a C, is the little toggle switch on the guard.

gives u a few extra tones out of the upgraded vintage noiseless.

the tuners are also upgraded, and the hardware is gold.

you're mostly paying for the pup upgrade. because all the MIM have better frets, shielding and trem block now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

sorry bout all the dumb questions jj (guess im kinda dumb) but i've got a few more if you don't mind puttin up with em for a bit longer:

1. What is a MIM and you said you have a '62 MIA..what is that?
2. Are you saying buying a MIM would be better than this deluxe we're talking about?
3. What is a pup?

Thanks for the help again jj
MIM is made in mexico.
MIA is made in America.

MIM could be good, since the deluxe just has the better looks and stuff.
im not sure if they have better pickups.

pup is a pick-up
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
...wait is it Made In Mexico and Made In America?

EDIT: alright someone said it right before me so it looks like i cheated but I didn't so I'm not taking mine off...btw thanks for the answers ECisthebest.
Last edited by Amped at Feb 7, 2007,
it's made in mexico.

the cheapest made in america strat is the highway 1 at around $600 or so.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
it's made in mexico.

the cheapest made in america strat is the highway 1 at around $600 or so.

yea u don't want to hot rod one of those pickups
but if ure gonna go for a MIM, u might want to.
higher output, low impedance, noiseless, whatever.
but i kinda want to buy an american strat too.
btw, i got a hotrodded MIM, and waiting for the clapton mid-boost circuit to be delivered.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well alright I know this sounds stupid and superficial or whatever but I'm really into looks (among a lot of other things like sound and hardware quality) when it comes to getting a guitar and that fender deluxe player is beautiful to say the least. do wetbacks make guitars that look like that as well?...and sound good, i would probably end up changing the "pups" on the deluxe strat anyways sooner or later so I wouldn't want to shell out a bunch just for them...jj cheated too

EDIT: What does it mean to 'hotrod'?
Those Deluxe Player's Strats are pretty nice. They have a ton of tonal options. From what I've played though, they need a bit of set-up. If you buy one, take it into a shop and get it professionally intonated and such.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
haha its cool man
but i like my guitar to look simple and clean.
with black body and a white pickguard. lol
iono bout wetbacks.

btw... what u mean jj cheated?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well, ive had my MIM strat for about 12 years now. it's my favorite guitar out of about the 10 i own.

i dont know if u would need to change those pups or not. if u do then that would be because they arent the exact sound u want. not that they arent good quality.

some guys love their vintage noiseless. some guys prefer texas style, hot.

the only thing i do know is that i dont call people wetbacks. even as a joke. :/
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yea. me (a guy) like 'em HoT!!!
hot noiseless is my choice lol
but vintages are cool too.
u get more versatility if u get both.
like a vintage noiseless on the bridge and hot noiseless on neck and middle.
i truly think my bridge pickup is too hot.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Amped
well alright I know this sounds stupid and superficial or whatever but I'm really into looks (among a lot of other things like sound and hardware quality) when it comes to getting a guitar and that fender deluxe player is beautiful to say the least. do wetbacks make guitars that look like that as well?...and sound good, i would probably end up changing the "pups" on the deluxe strat anyways sooner or later so I wouldn't want to shell out a bunch just for them...jj cheated too

EDIT: What does it mean to 'hotrod'?

the deluxe is made by mexicans, so if you think that looks good then yes,
also, changing the pups on the deluxe players strat really isnt nessacary, American Vintage Noiseless are some niiiiiiiiiice pups for any strat
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
it would be because of the sound that i would change the pickups though...i'm not totally sure about changing them yet but i'd have to play around with em for awhile. so what does "hot" or "hotrod" mean? so the fender deluxe player on musicians friend is MIM?

And to jj I am sorry about calling mexicans wetbacks (lol) i just like the sound of the name, not the racial part of it...but i get your point and I'm sorry and thank you for all your help.
^np :p

and hot pickups, think of SRV, over driven, higher output.

vintage OD too. but ull also hear more mellow, maybe more bass, cleaner chimes.

hotrodding a pickup. just means modding it. modding a guitar. maybe adding a switch later to tap or split a pickup for additional tones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah i don't know maybe i'd stick with the noiseless pickups for a bit...who knows but um so i was wondering if this musicians friend guitar, the deluxe players strat is MIM or MIA? also could someone take a look at this...probably not going to bother with it but maybe i will http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Strat_W0QQitemZ160081815539QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160081815539#ebayphotohosting
the deluxe players strat u linked is mexican made. unless it says MADE IN AMERICA in the description, it's going to be mexican made.

the cheapest american made strat is the highway 1 strat at $750 USD.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768

other than the highway one. which is a guitar with some mexican parts put together in america, all the other MIA strats are near a thousand dollars.

the ebay link is for a mex made deluxe strat. it's a couple hundred under the going price for a new strat. might be worth a second look. im sure the price will go up bfore the auction is over, but if ur trying to save money, you might be able to get a good deal.

also, not sure what the "cheated" comments mean.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

sorry to jump in, but i'm in the same boat.

Out of the deluxe players, and the highway 1, what would the pros and cons be for each and which would be the better.

Cheers guys, i really want a fender :P
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
I'm in the same boat as you, the only difference is that I want a HSS fender. So i'm pretty limited, primarily american have HSS from what i've seen...
If you're wondering Deluxe players or highway one, it's all down to opinion, deluxe players looks AWESOME and has that S-1 switching, but Highway one has 22 frets and is made in america

there are more pros to both of them though.
Quote by jj1565
the deluxe players strat u linked is mexican made. unless it says MADE IN AMERICA in the description, it's going to be mexican made.

the cheapest american made strat is the highway 1 strat at $750 USD.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768

other than the highway one. which is a guitar with some mexican parts put together in america, all the other MIA strats are near a thousand dollars.

the ebay link is for a mex made deluxe strat. it's a couple hundred under the going price for a new strat. might be worth a second look. im sure the price will go up bfore the auction is over, but if ur trying to save money, you might be able to get a good deal.

also, not sure what the "cheated" comments mean.

hey jj, so I looked at the highway one and was not very impressed but we've already determined that I'm pretty dumb so what would i know? anyways I was wondering that because I'm not that guitar-smart that maybe you could let me know what you think when you set an MIA next to an MIM such as the highway one and the players deluxe? i'm kind of leaning more to the players deluxe but if MIMs tend to have more problems or something or american guitars have a better sound or something like that then I might just reconsider. Thanks again jj for all your time and everyone else helping out with this
this years HW1s are kind of nice. i like the finish, the neck feel, the pups.

the light, nitro finish alone adds about a hundred to the price.

for the money tho, mexican made strats are good. the players strat gives u a lot for the money. im guessing ur not trying the guitars first?
any brand, any model can ship to u less than perfect. so i cant vouche for any of these 100%, but in general, both are worth the money.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

alright thanks...and no i'm not going to be able to try the players strat first unfortunately. but I actually have another question that you may or may not be able to answer: I will be going down to arizona for a couple of weeks to see a friend and we were going to stop down in mexico for a few days if we don't need a passport...do we need a passport? and if i did go down there and find the same players deluxe strat would I be able to bring it back into america?
i dont think so. if it was that easy, then everyone would buy them there.

i think they make them dont sell them there.

as for passport. i dont think u used to need them. but now i think u need passports for everything.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Fender Standard Stratocaster (Black with white Pickguard and maple fretboard)

HELL YES!!!
How much? does it have Humbuck pick up's? HSS?
.....•••••áñÐ ÝÔÜ Łhòûghł Wê w飀 Ð탃rëñ†•••••.....

that strat is an Hss strat.

the H = humbucker and is pointed to, and labeled #1.

single coil pickups are traditional, classic, hard rock tones, soft rock...
humbuckers generally are used for hard rock and metal tones.

with an HSS strat, u get a versatile guitar in that u can select a humbucker or a single coil.

keep in mind most tone comes from ur amp. and these descriptions are all generally speaking.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62