I wouldn't get that as a starter bass, but I have the 5-string version of that, and it is awesome. I've never had a problem with it, it doesn't eat through batterys. It's pretty nice. Anybody else notice at the top the thing said Deluxe Active Jazz Bass Electric guitar? kinda weird....
Shecter has some in that same price range that might be good. You can check them out on the same site. I think Fender basses are overrated.
Quote by DoctrDrew116
Shecter has some in that same price range. You can check them out on the same site.

Dude, do you ****ing work for shecter or shit? I want a fender, and you come outta the blue and tell me to get a shector with no reasons.

FbSa, why not a starter bass? Becasue I might not "stick with it"? Don't worry about that, I've played guitar for about 2 years, and I've played bass in a few small bands, usually just filling in for a bands sick bassist for one show or something (becuase punks in virginia are hard to find). So Im not a total beginner.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Dude, do you ****ing work for shecter or shit? I want a fender, and you come outta the blue and tell me to get a shector with no reasons.

Ummm...wow. He was trying to be helpful. Schecter stuff is really nice though.
Quote by enzoslashslash
I'd get this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-?fg=121&sku=515201
So you can get that P-bass sound when your playing punk and Jazz sounds when you want. Active pickups aren't really necessary though.

Hmm. Intresting. The reason Im looking at jazz bases is I like the necks, and my favorite, and the most influental bassist to me, uses one. Does that P bass special offer tone blending? And its 50 bucks more.

Okay I'm not going to tell you not to buy the Fender because lots of people that like them. But here are some other brands you should look at:

Schecter (VERY thin necks, most have EMG pickups)
Rockbass by Warwick (thin necks also, generally good instruments)

And if this is going to be your first instrument, you probably need an amp too. If you need an amp too, there's no point playing a good bass through a crap amp.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Okay I'm not going to tell you not to buy the Fender because lots of people that like them. But here are some other brands you should look at:

Schecter (VERY thin necks, most have EMG pickups)
Rockbass by Warwick (thin necks also, generally good instruments)

And if this is going to be your first instrument, you probably need an amp too. If you need an amp too, there's no point playing a good bass through a crap amp.

I can't dig very thin necks, I've got big hands. A jazz neck is about the thinest I feel comfertable with. And I was looking at this amp

Becuase im going to basically get this bass and start my first band at the same time, taking up bass and vocals. (Its gonna be an 70's/80's style punk band. Leanr as you go just adds to the bands ability and mojo, it helps you and the fellow musicians jell)

Hate ta do this but...

Bab bump

Quote by zekk

Way to shoot down people trying to help out, I'm impressed.

Don't forget that Jazz is a "blem" item, so it may have laquer cracks, scratches, dents, etc.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071
Way to shoot down people trying to help out, I'm impressed.

Don't forget that Jazz is a "blem" item, so it may have laquer cracks, scratches, dents, etc.

1: He came off way to strong, and listed no reasons.

2: I don't care about apperence, aslong as playability is not affected.

Quote by zekk
1: He came off way to strong, and listed no reasons.

2: I don't care about apperence, aslong as playability is not affected.

1. "Shecter has some in that same price range that might be good. You can check them out on the same site. I think Fender basses are overrated."

That is coming on too strong? Are you that girl that maces guys who ask for the time, while screaming "I have a right to defend myself!"? (If you are, please stop macing me) He gave a suggestion for more basses to check out, in order to ensure you're happy with your final decision. That's called courtesy.

2. Excellent, I like your style. Just wanted to make sure you knew before you committed.

P.S. Check out Ibanez basses as well. They make very nice instruments in that price range.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 8, 2007,
I've tried a few ibeanez, and there damn good for the money, but again, I have the same issue with them as with schetcher. TO DAMN THIN!!!! Think of it this way: My favorite neck is the SRV D shape neck.

Then you might consider a P-bass over a Jazz, as Jazz necks are quite thin as well.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

True. I've played a jazz several times, and its about the thinnest I can stand. Its not like im just gonna buy this, im gonna try it aswelll

Good, good. Jazz necks are some of the thinnest out there, at 38mm (1.5"); a majority of bass necks are the same or thicker at the nut (for example, Ibanez SRs, SRXs, and EDBs are 38mm as well, whereas the BTB line starts at 41.5mm). Of course the overall shapes are different, but that's just something you have to play as many basses as possible to figure out your preference (isn't that the best way to figure things out anyway? ). Best of luck in finding a bass.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Yeah. I wish that warmoth made bass necks with the srv backbody.

Honestly, i rock the Ibanez Soundgear Dx, and it's a great starter bass, unless you're slapping and pooping (intentional)

cheap, durable, good sounding,

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
If you already play guitar and are switching over to bass, go ahead and get that j bass. Iv'e got a standerd jazz bass(passive) and I love it.
Stop taking life so seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway.
Quote by DiabloCoche
Honestly, i rock the Ibanez Soundgear Dx, and it's a great starter bass, unless you're slapping and pooping (intentional)

cheap, durable, good sounding,

Thats a problem. Im going to be using it for a lot of funk aswell, mainly RHCP type rockfunk.

Hump Du Bump...

Well, the price has been dropped another 50 bucks. I think this is what Im gonna do, but second opiniosn are good till the end. Anyone own this bass?

The price confuses me, because isn't everything usually like "$599.99", or "$19.99", OR "$299.99", you know what I'm saying? And this is $451.34, that's just weird...
Quote by Soul_Bassist
The price confuses me, because isn't everything usually like "$599.99", or "$19.99", OR "$299.99", you know what I'm saying? And this is $451.34, that's just weird...

It's because they take a percentage off the price.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Quote by Doolittle
i have this, it's awsome

Is it? It looks liek its more or less a bad attempt to get a P bass and a J bass sound. IMHO, just buy both if ya want both sounds... But then again I liek things basic and semple to an extent, but im also a gear person who likes alot of stuff (like actave electronics and preamps) to **** with.