Okay ive been playing guitar for about 2 years now and had lessons for a year, ive been taking some tutorials on this site basic-to-medium tutorials...

and i can play some songs like that really easy one um smoke on the water or something

and a few songs like chord songs but im still pretty new.....

What should i do next? im not sure what i should do... power chords or what
if you got an electric guitar id say power chords, alot of songs are written with power chords its not a very hard techinque to learn. Maybe learn scales and arrpegios (sp?) and start to learn to solo, and of course learn more songs.
okay i know alot of scales... well some...

minor
major
minor penatonic
major penatonic
melodic
harmonic

im mostly used to tabs and havent done much power chords but i looked at some guides and it had a bunch of \'s and stuff like that... is there a guide ( link plx ) to a like most beginer powr chordist
a power chord is the same
its is played the same every where on the neck like this

e-------------------------------------
b-------------------------------------
g------------------9------------------
d--7--------5-----9-----------2-----
a--7--------5-----7-----------2-----
e--5--------3------------------0-----

etc.

like depending on your root note, your next two notes will follow by a string down and 2 frets over. so say your root note is on the 5th fret on low e and go down a string to A and two frets over, so the A string is fretted on the 7th fret and then jump down a string to D and play it on the 7th fret as well.

does that makes sence?

here take a look at this it should clear up any questions

http://www.guitarwiki.com/index.php/Chords#Power_Chords
Last edited by the_man101 at Feb 7, 2007,
Quote by iwanaBarockstar
okay i know alot of scales... well some...

minor
major
minor penatonic
major penatonic
melodic
harmonic

im mostly used to tabs and havent done much power chords but i looked at some guides and it had a bunch of \'s and stuff like that... is there a guide ( link plx ) to a like most beginer powr chordist

Do you know the entire scale, or just the box position? Learn the entire scale...then all of the modes of the scale...then all of the chords derived from those scales.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Okay thanks i realize that a power chord is a note followed by 2 others 1 string lower and 2 frets over.

Instead of all that 5ths octave plus a e = adasdfasdf

that actually made sence lol....

so can i ask why there "so special" or used alot, i know they sound pretty tight...

also does anyone know some good riffs or songs using power chords? somethin with an easy rythm
Quote by iwanaBarockstar
can i ask why there "so special" or used alot,

Because they are easy and sound great and many people are too lazy to use something that has more character.

Song suggestion: Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by iwanaBarockstar
Okay thanks i realize that a power chord is a note followed by 2 others 1 string lower and 2 frets over.

Instead of all that 5ths octave plus a e = adasdfasdf

that actually made sence lol....

so can i ask why there "so special" or used alot, i know they sound pretty tight...

also does anyone know some good riffs or songs using power chords? somethin with an easy rythm

A power chord is a root, and a fifth.
Basically every song on MTV uses them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.