I usually play alot of harder stuff. I like to play stuff like RATM and GNR to SOAD and Pantera. I am in to the heavier metal. I was originally looking at a decent tube combo but with my budget I am thinking that might be hard. I was looking at a Randall G3, I have heard that amp is pretty good. I have also been looking into a VOX amp but don't know where to start.

I have also been looking at Crate. But I do not know much about those amps.

Thanks
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
Last edited by KaMiKaZi90 at Feb 7, 2007,
most people will say that the line 6 amps are shit...buyt personally i love em. for metal and heavier stuff their perfect. you might wana check out the spider II or III. alot of people say they suck, but i doubt any of em have actually used one
a used tube combo sounds like what you are looking for... try a peavey XXX, it can do the stuff you play. also you could get a new ashdown fallen angel combo for that price i belive... if you have that much to spend, tube amps are going to give you better tone in general.
Bang for the buck, I'd go for a Line6 amp. But, if you are set on a tube amp, I'd advise the Peavey Valveking.
I am looking for a tube combo but because of the price range it will be hard. I guess I will be doing some ebay searching. The Peavey XXX sounds like my best bet. I have heard some good things about them. I do not know alot about Ashdown so if anyone can give any opinions that would be sweet.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
Crate RFX 120 would do you fine. I have one and personally I keep the gain pulled back a good deal and I play stuff like Rage, Metallica, and the fuzzed-out heavy Muse stuff with the internal distortion.

It won't do Gn'R very well though because Slashes tone is very "tubey". If you want to get that tone you're really going to have to get serious about saving up for a good A-class Plexi amp, which'll be a lot. Traynor makes some combos of that sort for about $1,000 that kick all sub-$2,500 Marshalls ass and even give most Mesa's a good run for thier money.
Quote by sfsknight07
most people will say that the line 6 amps are shit...buyt personally i love em. for metal and heavier stuff their perfect. you might wana check out the spider II or III. alot of people say they suck, but i doubt any of em have actually used one

I've owned a spider II, and I played a III today. They suck...III is miles ahead of II however. Still...not saying much though. They are only "perfect" for metal if you enjoy playing at low volumes with a totally processed no warmth tone...I mean come on? there is a reason it is so cheap....built in effects are only a way to jack up prices on a bad amp.

But, just like every other "I have money to spend" thread I will say the same thing.

Why would you wanna buy something now that is just "ok" when you can save up and actually get something thats good. Seriously....if you can, hold off until you have some more cash. Your going to get what you pay for, so make it worth your time or else your out 600 bucks because you arent completely happy. There are a million amps available if you just save up a bit more.

If you want metal you want the 6505...not the XXX. But look outside peavey and marhsall and all that, you dont know whats out there til you look. And unless you play an ashdown and actually like it...which I find hard to believe...stay away fromt those too. B-52 is your best bet if you really cant wait...Some of them are like 50% off on musicians friend right now. Give them a look, they are good amps. I recall one getting the one award in guitar one.
Quote by RadioMuse
Traynor makes some combos of that sort for about $1,000 that kick all sub-$2,500 Marshalls ass and even give most Mesa's a good run for thier money.

about 700, not a thousand. definitely check into them, TS.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
What about Randall amps? Are they any good?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

Quote by KaMiKaZi90
What about Randall amps? Are they any good?

If you want GNR and RATM then I can sell you my Traynor YCV50 blue. I only want $545 plus shipping for it. Your $600 budget will more then cover that.

It'll do metal and classic rock, has pretty good cleans too. Its all tube, EL34's. Its in brand new condition. No scratches, no tears, even still has the plastic over the front nameplate.

PM me or email me at bonchie123@yahoo.com

If your not sure about this amp just ask around on the forum. It really is great. I'm about to buy a new stiletto ace though and I have to unload it before my wife murders me.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
My XXX works for Pantera stuff, but I dont play any of the other bands you mentioned, so I cant tell you about how good they would work for them. Also, the 5150 or 6505 dont have very good cleans. The XXX's are alright, but if you play a lot of clean stuff, I would look elsewhere.
Quote by bonchie1
If you want GNR and RATM then I can sell you my Traynor YCV50 blue. I only want $545 plus shipping for it. Your $600 budget will more then cover that.

It'll do metal and classic rock, has pretty good cleans too. Its all tube, EL34's. Its in brand new condition. No scratches, no tears, even still has the plastic over the front nameplate.

If your not sure about this amp just ask around on the forum. It really is great. I'm about to buy a new stiletto ace though and I have to unload it before my wife murders me.

Take him up on this. It's a very good deal.
Quote by bonchie1

I am into to pretty heavy stuff. I will let you know if I am interested in it. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Anyone around here have experience with Carvin amps? I am still looking for opinions on Randall amps.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

for $600, GO USED!!!
i did my boogie 50 cal.+ for $600 on ebay with shipping. needed a tube change but the local shop gets them for cheap. i think it was about $20-$30.
i just saw a 5150 going for $350 on new york craigslist. and i see them advertised quite often for (+/-) $600 on craigslist.
Quote by sethp
for $600, GO USED!!!
i did my boogie 50 cal.+ for $600 on ebay with shipping. needed a tube change but the local shop gets them for cheap. i think it was about $20-$30.
i just saw a 5150 going for $350 on new york craigslist. and i see them advertised quite often for (+/-) $600 on craigslist.

Looks like I am going to get a 5150 soon! I found a extremely good price for one.

I love Craigslist!
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II