The 8-string i'm building, which I'm sure you've all heard of now, would that sound good fretless? It's going to be my "Soloing" bass. And I'm tired of fret buzz in my higher registers. It won't be a problem knowing my frets, so don't worry about that. I'm just not sure how good it would sound. That and I haven't had a chance to play 8-string fretless's. I thought about fretting it, then if I didn't like it, defretting it. What are your thoughts? Here's the picups I'm using here
And my thread here
Let me know what you think!

P.S-No comments on, "try this pickup, or this one." I get enough of that from Minus over there. No offense.
This should probally go in GBAC, the people who hang around there probally know more about this stuff.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I'm assuming it's an eight string single run. I've never heard one, but I can't imagine it would sound bad.
I've heard of some guy who has a Conklin double neck bass, 7 strings fretted, 7 strings fretless. He solos on the fretless.

Also, Micheal Manring plays on a 36 fret fretless with very very highly tuned strings, and it sounds great.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8yDayLS4RBA

Imagine that?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^Well.....if it's a fretless then it doesn't actually have 36 frets.........just enough room to on the neck to play over four registers. The guy with the double neck is John Turner, but I don't think thats what FbSa is talking about. I think he's building a four string bass, with paired octave strings.
^I actually checked out the link. Yay me! Anyways, I think it's a really cool idea, I've never seen one, and I'm always open to new ideas when it comes to guitar/bass. The only problem I see is that I think your plans to use a six string pickup to get more tones is a little skewed. A six string pickup won't pick up your high strings any better than a four string pickup will. Also it won't give you more tones. You'll have to get an onboard EQ for that. Overall, it looks cool. How are you going to string it? High octave above the bass string or below it?
^So you're going to string it with the octave string above the bass string? Do you play with a pick? It seems that it would be more efficient for finger players to string it underneath the bass string, and for pick players to string it above.

Also, I'm not playing soccer right now, I was kicked out of the indoor stadium in Mayfield last season (fall season) and wasn't admitted to play again this season. The forward from the other team elbowed me in the ribs, so I gave him a WWF bodyslam, followed by a "Macho Man Randy Savage" elbow drop. A big fight ensued, and most of the team aren't ever allowed to play there again!

How about you? Still kicking the rock around? Playing indoor?
If you care, there are a few 8-string fretless cheap-o's on eBay. If you are really curious, you can invest in one of those as a temporary, or even a template.

And if you want, you can probably return the bass after a while (for a restocking fee, of course)
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..